The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

B

brian1208

I like the first one Glenn, you have caught the Bumble cleaning pollen off its back with its leg rakes, a nice bit of action

kweide

Ciao bella
Last shot, now heading for Sicily

Olympus E-M5, Summiux 25, noNR
ISO200 @ f1.8, 1/160 second, 25 mm focal length​

jonoslack

Mike, Matt, Jorgen - thanks for the kind words.

Busy today . . . . but there's always time for a little . . . .

Bondage

Both with the Panasonic 100-300 . . . oops, I seem to have taken 5000 shots with the OMD:eek:

RavenMad

Obligatory daff shot:

Kit 12-50 at f/6.0

Some more macro shots with the kit 12-50. Waiting for my adaptors from ebay so I can try some legacy glass... :)

Adrian

momo

Wandering around the garden in the sunshine (really!)
Some with the 80-200 Leica R f4...
is this a manual lens?...if yes, i wonder how you find focusing these manual lenses with adapter?...I'm considering buying an em5 and wonder how it would be to use my older nikon manual focus lenses and adapter...

what lets you know your image is in focus with the manual lenses?...i think i've read the em5 doesn't have anything like 'peaking'...on my d700 I have a green dot which shows focus...also, the screen is bright enough that i can pretty much just use my eye to focus unless it's a really dark scene...

thanks jono...enjoying your work here...

les

No peaking or green dot but.....manually focusing the lens is easy with a magnified view which can be accessed by setting one of the function buttons to provide that.

S

sebasco

Hi Folks,

Have been enjoying everyone's pics in this thread.

I am currently in Manarola in the Cinque Terre celebrating my 30th wedding anniversary with my honey. It is amazingly scenic here. Today, we took a challenging hike from Monterroso to Corniglia. Here are a few of my faves. All were taken with the ‘misunderstood’ 12-50 lens.

I would encourage all the readers of this wonderful site to venture the Cinque Terre hikes during their lifetimes as they are truly, imho, one of the wonders of the world.

The first is: Colors and man in Monterosso Beach
The second is: Heading into Vernazza
The Third is: View of Corniglia w/cactus in front
The last is: My Wife is Free!

Hope you enjoy the photos,

Ed

jonoslack

is this a manual lens?...if yes, i wonder how you find focusing these manual lenses with adapter?...I'm considering buying an em5 and wonder how it would be to use my older nikon manual focus lenses and adapter...

what lets you know your image is in focus with the manual lenses?...i think i've read the em5 doesn't have anything like 'peaking'...on my d700 I have a green dot which shows focus...also, the screen is bright enough that i can pretty much just use my eye to focus unless it's a really dark scene...

thanks jono...enjoying your work here...
HI There - Thank You!
What I've found is that longer focal length lenses are really easy - half pressing the shutter engages the Image Stabilisation, which makes it very easy to see what is, and what is not in focus - you don't need to do stop down metering because the camera gains up the EVF properly.

There isn't any focus peaking, However there is a kind of high contrast 'sheen' that you can see on in focus areas (apart from the fact that it's easy to see if they're sharp). Not so simple on the LCD, but fine through the EVF.

No peaking or green dot but.....manually focusing the lens is easy with a magnified view which can be accessed by setting one of the function buttons to provide that.
Hi Les
I think that the magnifier option is only okay on a tripod, not handheld - because you can't see the whole view, and when you zooom out again the focus will have changed - on the other hand I really don't think that it (or the green dot) are really necessary - it's pretty easy to see what's in focus anyway.

I've had a higher hit rate using the Leica 60 elmarit macro than with any other camera/lens combination (for taking macros handheld) - it's easy to see when it's in focus, and there is so little shutter lag (or shake).

Diane B

Tip for using magnify button

Hi Les...is that magnified view in the viewfinder or on the lcd? both?...
Momo, it is on both. A tip--reading your post I realized I hadn't really tried any of my FD, Nikkor or Hexanon on the Em5. I used them extensively in the beginning of m4/3 when there were so many holes in the lens lineup. Haven't shot with them for awhile.

The tip--whatever button you choose for magnify (better yet I think is just to set a multi function button, I have mine on the record button--and choose the magnify option) you need to press it QUICKLY to get it to magnify. Just now I had forgotten that myself and wondered why it didn't magnify. Then I remembered the discussion about this and sure enough, it takes a QUICK press, no lingering LOL. Same quick press to get back to full image. When you are in magnified mode you can chiose 5, 7, 10 or 14x magnification.

Focusing is easy in magnifed view with MF lenses. But Jono is probably right. I just haven't done any MF yet with it. With the Panny G3 I had PNP which was helpful--to a degree. This seems fine though. I only MF now with my LB tilt adapter and Nikkor lenses and sadly the adapter won't fit under the EVF on my OMD so still can only shoot it with G3.

Diane