The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

jonoslack

James, Uwe, Charles, Raf, Steve - great images. I still haven't managed to get the main part of the Cretan pictures organised, but here are a couple to keep the pot boiling:

First - the touch shutter is wonderful for shots like this, taken in a local bar.

The path up from the Aradhaina Gorge (nice to jog up it in 40C)

Bee Hives in Anapolis

all the best

jonoslack

HI Bart
Not that one - and not at 40, and we certainly didn't jog!
Still, we did it's partner (on the other side) at 35, and yes, hot and sweaty is definitely the description! On the other hand it makes the inevitable beer taste soooo good!

jlm

Workshop Member
jono:
i really like that LCD touch shutter as well, and for face shots, but my finger tends to trigger the eyelevel detector, how do you get around that?

jonoslack

jono:
i really like that LCD touch shutter as well, and for face shots, but my finger tends to trigger the eyelevel detector, how do you get around that?
I agree it's an issue . . . . but I do get around it (practice makes perfect!).

Knorp

"vooruit met de leeuw" (zou normaal moeten zijn, vooruit met de geit)

Sorry, a joke in dutch :)))

C U,
Rafael
Dag Raf,

in fact there were three tigers, two white lions and two ligers.
No sign of a goat (geit), though ... :)

Het allerbeste.

Knorp

Knorp, so much for the OMD not being suitable for action shots!! :poke:

Great stuff! Which Flashgun did you use?
Hi Dave, thank you and I'm pleased you like the series.
As for action photography I'm not sure my shots really qualify.
The subjects, although moving a lot, are basically stationary.
You can do this with any camera IMHO.

Flashgun ? No flashgun here ... :toocool:

Kind regards.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
From the Zion Workshop: I brought an OM-D and a Cambo/IQ140. The Oly is a lot easier to use! :cool: And it can do a fabulous job. Here is with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8.

Best,

Matt

Last edited:

jonoslack

@ Bart
Lovely circus series . . . did you take a bevy of children with you . . . or was it just you and the camera?

From the Zion Workshop: I brought an OM-D and a Cambo/IQ140. The Oly is a lot easier to use! :cool: And it can do a fabulous job. Here is with the Panasonic 12-25/2.8.

Best,

Matt
that's great Matt . . . I was with my local pusher today, and contemplating the wonders of the A99 . . . but the truth is the oMD really does come up with the goods, and it's small, and such a joy to use.

:salute:

RavenMad

Just got home from 7 weeks in Europe. Lots of photos to work through but thought I'd get one of my faves up:

Night Gondolas
Oly 12-50 @ f5.8, 8 sec exposure, ISO 200

B

brian1208

more amazing shots guys.

Bart, those "Circus" shots continue to astound me.
I sometimes wonder what constitutes an "Action Shot" Bart, it seems to me that with regard to your point about:

"As for action photography I'm not sure my shots really qualify.
The subjects, although moving a lot, are basically stationary.
You can do this with any camera IMHO"

applies to just about any action / sport shot.

If you know your subject, have a fast reacting camera and set it up correctly (ie: know what you are doing) all action can be frozen

Not all cameras are capable of this - nor are all photographers. You just happen to make it look easy! :)

RavenMad

A few more from our European odyssey :)

The first was taken with the Oly OM 35-70 (prob at 35mm FL [70mm equiv] but can't remember the apperture):

The next three were all taken using the macro mode on the Oly 12-50 - such a versatile lens! I know it's not the sharpest wide open but so good for walk-around shooting.

jonoslack

RavenMad - love the Venice shot and the macros
Mike - have you been drugging those deer!
Matt - that's a lovely backlit shot - excellent.

Here's three more I've been working on casually!

Looking from above Loutro towards Plakias

Sea Squills coming out on the higher ground

The little church at Agios Ioannis