The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Bigkidneys

Just got mine the other day and added the 45 and 25 Panny. Took some pics of my daughters for the High School Homecoming. So much better than the EP3 and I think I am finally here to stay with the M4/3 format...

jonoslack

Lots of wonderful shots - Mike, I particularly like the Audrey Voyeurs . . .where do you find them!

This is of Tom the Hat - he kills the rats for us in the chicken run (amongst many other valuable services - I truly believe he can do/make/fix anything). One of the rats he caught the other day was more than 13" long . . . . not counting it's tail - with it's tail it was more than 2ft long.

It was taken with the OMD and the 75-300 at 75mm, and processed in Aperture and silver efex proII

Tom The Hat

all the best

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Isn't the focusing terribly slow

Yes, quite slow but it is fine for our work. I still hope that Olympus makes this a native m43 zoom. The Pana 12-35mm is too expensive and also too limited in range. This is about ideal. But the E-M5 is very nice I say.

jonoslack

>Isn't the focusing terribly slow

Yes, quite slow but it is fine for our work. I still hope that Olympus makes this a native m43 zoom. The Pana 12-35mm is too expensive and also too limited in range. This is about ideal. But the E-M5 is very nice I say.
I've got the 12 -35, and truth be told I'm more interested in the wider 24 than the longer 108 . . . . . but I can't love the lens I must say, it seems to me to be neither one thing nor the other. . . . . I've just taken a series of shots with the Leica 75 'cron - now THAT makes the sensor shine.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I've got the 12 -35, and truth be told I'm more interested in the wider 24 than the longer 108

I understand, I am just the opposite. Rarely use 24mm and even 28mm.

> I've just taken a series of shots with the Leica 75

I plan to use the Zeiss 85mm f/4. It is great on all the other mirror less cameras but the IBIS of the E-M5 makes it even more usable.

jonoslack

So what are your issues with the 12-35?

Jim
Hi Jim
Well, I think thati I expected some sparkle (which the 14-54 certainly has). But I don't see any. The humble 45 f1.8 has sparkle. Even the Panasonic 20 pancake. I was hoping it would stir my creative juices like the lovely old 4/3 12-60. But it doesn't. There is nothing obviously wrong with it, but I find myself using the obviously flawed ( but much more ambitious ) 12-50 kit lens more often.

So. Would you like to buy it from me!:facesmack::)

jonoslack

>Well, I think that I expected some sparkle

At this price this is not asked too much I think.
Indeed. Although perhaps this is just my personal issue. I spend lots of time using leica lenses on a full frame sensor. I'm more than happy with the small compromise that using the Zuiko zooms entails. There isn't so much compromise with the primes anyway. But this is an expensive lens, and I'd like to love it (but I don't)!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>But this is an expensive lens

Indeed and especially if the range is not a great fit for me. Same actually with the Canon/Nikon 24-70mm zooms. The 35-100mm maybe a different sort but at its price I may give the Zeiss 85mm f/4 a shot.

Diane B

Glad to hear some opinions. I've been possibly saving for this but I do find I like the 12-50--which I had planned to sell. For a very small kit I carry 25/1.4 or 20 with it.

Diane
Hi Jim
Well, I think thati I expected some sparkle (which the 14-54 certainly has). But I don't see any. The humble 45 f1.8 has sparkle. Even the Panasonic 20 pancake. I was hoping it would stir my creative juices like the lovely old 4/3 12-60. But it doesn't. There is nothing obviously wrong with it, but I find myself using the obviously flawed ( but much more ambitious ) 12-50 kit lens more often.

So. Would you like to buy it from me!:facesmack::)