The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

scott kirkpatrick

Let's pretend it's not allowed talking about the equipment and that only the content matters ... wouldn't that be great ?
Absolutely. Outside my day job, I've been learning what a Leica SL does (it's like mastering The Force, since the manual is zen-like and the interface completely unlabeled, but now my light saber comes to me at least some of the time), and training a very athletic little kitten not to bite so hard if she wants to live with people. But the content (kitten POWs) has migrated to the Leica forum.

scott

Annna T

I'm having tons of fun with the Olympus Pen E-P1 at the moment (doing a PAD with one camera, one lens at another site, for which I got this set out of retirement). I can't be bothered by looking for a Pen thread, so just don't post them on GetDPI. It reminds me that I'm not a big fan of gear specific forums.
What keeps me here is that people are so courteous and there are a lot of good photographers. May I ask what is the other list you found ?

marlof

Next to GetDPI (still one of my favorite forums, exactly for the reasons you've stated) I frequent Amin Sabet's sites (he's around here as well): mu-43.com and especially Photographerslounge.org . The first is a good source of information for all things related to Micro Four Thirds, where discussion remains civilized. Amin also runs sites for Sony, Leica, Fuji stuff, but since I don't use those brands, I don't go there. For me the cherry on top is Photographers' Lounge (previously seriouscompacts.com), where discussion can be more brand agnostic. It's not the busiest of sites, but I keep having fun there.

Annna T

Next to GetDPI (still one of my favorite forums, exactly for the reasons you've stated) I frequent Amin Sabet's sites (he's around here as well): mu-43.com and especially Photographerslounge.org . The first is a good source of information for all things related to Micro Four Thirds, where discussion remains civilized. Amin also runs sites for Sony, Leica, Fuji stuff, but since I don't use those brands, I don't go there. For me the cherry on top is Photographers' Lounge (previously seriouscompacts.com), where discussion can be more brand agnostic. It's not the busiest of sites, but I keep having fun there.
Thank you ! I'll have a look at the photographers'lounge. It looks like a good site at first sight.

You always showed beautiful pictures and should post here more often again. I remember your landscapes in particular..

mazor

I hope so too, I am missing the 42.5 already :(. the 25mm with the lens hood attached gives the oly a sophisticated look. Got to love those square lens hoods!

retow

Thank you for your kind words Bart.

Oops.. Wrong forum.. I just digged in the original files to check the settings I had used and discovered that I took it with the A7r. I was sure it was shot with the E-M5 because a few days later I broke the shutter of the A7r and remained without it for the rest of the month.
LOL, and we could not tell the difference. So sensor size does not seem to matter for quality images.

Annna T

LOL, and we could not tell the difference. So sensor size does not seem to matter for quality images.
I must say that at this size (aka web viewing size) it is difficult to see any difference. But also in MFT a few lenses are incredibly good.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sensor size does matter for quality images, but at least as important is optical quality of the lenses. As optical IQ is much more difficult to achieve with a larger image circle (for example 35mm FF) overall IQ differences are noticeable earlier with larger sensors. It is with no surprise that Sony released recently what the call G Master lenses, which is their desire to achieve the optical quality which should be on par with their high resolution FF sensors (due to their own words being able to resolve up till 50MP), which should be fine for their next generation of sensors as well.

One advantage of 43/m43 was always and still is that the lens design can achieve much easier high image quality as the image circle of m43 is smaller compared to APSC and especially FF. Now add to this the optical excellence of Olympus Pro lenses like the 2.8/4-17 or 2.8/40-150 and the results must be winners.

One of the limiting factors for m43 was IMHO always resolution and DR as well as high ISO capabilities of the 16MP sensors. I am looking forward to the new 20MP generation of sensors as at least for me resolution is now on a satisfying level while DR as well as high ISO performance have been improved. I was VERY satisfied with the image samples from the PenF so far, but also from the GX8, which uses obviously almost the same sensor. All this evolution over the past years WRT newer sensors and better PRO lenses convinces me that my decision to go with m43 has been the right one.

Yes it came true that sensor size does no longer really matter for high quality images as long as one is satisfied with a certain resolution. And sizes where you can see differences are well above 30x40", in many cases I have seen satisfying prints in 60x80" even from 16MP. So we are finally there :cool:

retow

Sensor size does matter for quality images, ¨ :cool:
I differentiate "quality images" from "image quality". The latter is a function of the tools used and food for gear centric fora, the former the result of the photographers eye and talent:lecture:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I differentiate "quality images" from "image quality". The latter is a function of the tools used and food for gear centric fora, the former the result of the photographers eye and talent:lecture:
I quite agree that good pictures are made by the photographer and the light. As soon as a photographer knows his/her equipment and all its strengths and weaknesses the system gets secondary. But there is no doubt that a better system always helps the photographer and in case of a real photographer this shows in the image results - called image quality here.

But a good photographer will always care to be able to shoot the best possible equipment for a certain task!

Last edited: