The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

neilvan

So many great images here!

Finally got myself an E-M1/40-150 Pro a couple of weeks ago, what a wonderful combination... :D

neilvan

A black bear encouter from yesterday in a local forest/park.

It's not the sharpest it could be but the I.S. did well to alleviate the sudden blast of adrenalin I was experiencing. :p

E-M1/40-150 Pro

Annna T

A black bear encouter from yesterday in a local forest/park.

It's not the sharpest it could be but the I.S. did well to alleviate the sudden blast of adrenalin I was experiencing. :p
Impressive. But how did you get out of that delicate situation ? What did the bear as he saw you ? Were you on foot ? Or in a car ? Talk about adrenalin, I would have been frightened to death..

neilvan

Impressive. But how did you get out of that delicate situation ? What did the bear as he saw you ? Were you on foot ? Or in a car ? Talk about adrenalin, I would have been frightened to death..

Immediately after taking the photo, I waved my hands above my head and yelled "NO BEAR, LEAVE ME ALONE BEAR, GO AWAY BEAR". I slowly backed away until she lost interest in me. It was a bit of a risk taking the photo but...

I have had many bear encounters, this one was relatively straight forward.

neilvan

My apologies if I am sharing too much, I am just really enjoying my new camera! ;)

E-M1/40-150 Pro @ f3.2

E-M1/40-150 Pro @ f5.6

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Bear encounters

Immediately after taking the photo, I waved my hands above my head and yelled "NO BEAR, LEAVE ME ALONE BEAR, GO AWAY BEAR". I slowly backed away until she lost interest in me. It was a bit of a risk taking the photo but...

I have had many bear encounters, this one was relatively straight forward.
You must be a "fearless man," as in Lord Buckley's and Jimmy Buffet's bear encounters. (Google "God's own drunk," if these guys are not on your normal playlists.)

scott

neilvan

You must be a "fearless man," as in Lord Buckley's and Jimmy Buffet's bear encounters. (Google "God's own drunk," if these guys are not on your normal playlists.)

scott
Not fearless, just a little stupid. :rolleyes:

Black bears are unpredictable. Please, anyone reading this that hasn't 'experienced' a wild bear in nature, don't stop to take a photo! Make yourself look bigger and be loud, wear a bear-bell and show them lots of respect.

Knorp

Not fearless, just a little stupid. :rolleyes:

Black bears are unpredictable. Please, anyone reading this that hasn't 'experienced' a wild bear in nature, don't stop to take a photo! Make yourself look bigger and be loud, wear a bear-bell and show them lots of respect.
Oh c'mon, you know the saying - shoot first, ask questions later ... :facesmack:

:chug:

Annna T

The daily migration of the alpine choughs

The alpine choughs live high in the mountains, above the tree lines. But in winter they fly down in the valley daily looking for food. They come in the morning and return where they live when they are sated, before sunset.

Olympus OM-D E-M5II with 40-150mm F2.8 @75mm
The daily migration of the alpine choughs - 20160226_082em52i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

They come everyday and I observe them since a few years, hoping they would swirl around the two castles. But they follow the thermic currents and are usually attracted elsewhere. Finally this morning the swarm was flying right where I wanted.. alas, the weather wasn't as collaborative as usual. I didn't get our usual clear blue sky, nor the morning sun lighting the buildings of the city. So the result isn't yet there..

Olympus OM-D E-M5II with 40-150mm F2.8 @40mm

A swarm of alpine choughs swirling above Sion and the Castles - 20160226_074em52i
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Last edited: