Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Olympus OMD

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Well - someone had to start it, and I feel that with my status here as the primary small camera gear addict it was my duty to do so . . . Unfortunately I don't have a camera until later on today, so, Carlos, Todd and everybody else.

Off You Go!

all the best
    Jono

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

OK, take this one - which is not a great image or anything unique to the E-M5:

I post it as it is a trivial image where it was easy to nail the exposure thanks to the clever highlight/shadow blinkies combined with UniWB and all of that in a decent viewfinder. The artsy and great and fun images will come by time, for now I leave that for the more artsy and great and fun photographers here.
    Fact is that I've never had a camera where I nailed the image with regards to focus plane and optimal exposure at the first try so often.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my OMD as well so a couple of quick shots. Bird is with Oly 75-300 at 300 handheld in a strong wind. Second was a snap in a boat with the kit 12-50 at 12 mm.
    Last edited by TimWright; 3rd November 2013 at 12:08.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim - Jonas - excellent - that bird shot its really fine.

I just collected mine as well - here's a few out of camera jpgs I took on the way back to the office!

kit lens at 50mm f8, 200 ISO

kit lens at 12mm f8 200 ISO
    this one proves to me that if you stop down, then the kit lens is sharp in the corners - which (IMHO) is the very best you can expect from any 4 times zoom

kit lens at 50mm f6.3 ISO 200

kit lens at 30mm f8 ISO 200

kit lens at 15mm f10 ISO 200. . . I was worried by some black dots . . . but they seem to have wings!

Looking Good!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Looking fine Jono - I know what you mean about the flying things over the rapeseed, I had similar problems here the other day, thought I had dust on the sensor of my GXR!

That kit lens looks very nice indeed.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I am the odd duck this time as mine has not yet arrived. Rest assured that when it does I will post. Great stuff so far!
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Carlos - David - Nice to see you here.
    Sadly I've got work to do, so there hasn't been much time to play, but what time I've had has certainly been fun.

I'm sticking to the kit lens for a few days, to see if I can discover it's good bits and it's bad bits.

I tried a few using macro mode.

This one is 500 ISO at F6 . . . according to the preview forums, this lens has horrid bokeh - but this looks okay to me (sure it isn't a summilux, but if that's what you're expecting for this price . . . ).

This one is 1600 ISO at f6.3

This one is 200 ISO at f8

. . . . . then it got dark!

This one is 1600 ISO at f5 21mm 1/30th second
    Nasty lighting - one halogen spot with mixed lighting from the rest of the room

Finally the obligatory pet snap
    This one is 1600 ISO at f5.6 34mm 1/15th second . . . seems the IS works!

My initial response on the first day is that this is a lens up with the 14-54 and 12-60 of old - of course, it's slower . . . but then the 2/3 stop ISO performance does at least seem to make up for this. I'm amazed that the forums at preview seem so grumpy about it.

The camera also seems to be something of a gem. But it's early days yet!

.. all of these are out of camera jpgs, with a little tweaking of exposure and straightening, together with a slight cooling of the AWB results indoors.

Right - off to bed . . . . certainly no buyer's remorse so far!

all the best
    Jono

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    OK, take this one - which is not a great image or anything unique to the E-M5:

I post it as it is a trivial image where it was easy to nail the exposure thanks to the clever highlight/shadow blinkies combined with UniWB and all of that in a decent viewfinder. The artsy and great and fun images will come by time, for now I leave that for the more artsy and great and fun photographers here.
    Fact is that I've never had a camera where I nailed the image with regards to focus plane and optimal exposure at the first try so often.
    Well, Jonas, I must say this is a very artistic image, in my humble opinion, with all those well composed diagonals.
    Don't underestimate yourself.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

>with all those well composed diagonals.

Did you count them? Nice shot.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >with all those well composed diagonals.

Did you count them? Nice shot.
    +3.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Very interested to check the camera out.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

.. all of these are out of camera jpgs, with a little tweaking of exposure and straightening, together with a slight cooling of the AWB results indoors.

Right - off to bed . . . . certainly no buyer's remorse so far!

all the best
    Jono
    There is a setting in the menus - Custom -> G -> "Keep Warm Color". By default it is on, and it will make indoor shots a bit too warm (even for my taste). Switch that off and you'll likely not need to cool in post.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Very interested to check the camera out.
    Yeah, it is interesting.

The Fuji is my primary for now.
    The Nikon 1 is long lens stuff and P&S.
    The NEX7 I really like and I haven't sold off my m4/3 lenses.

OK pretty pathetic. But some stuff has to go like a whole system one of these days.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

OK pretty pathetic. But some stuff has to go like a whole system one of these days.
    fwiw I sold my p&s (Leica DLux4) and my FF (5D2). Will be selling the APS-C (a67), though the work-purchased a77 will stay at the office for official use. Only things I'll have is iPhone 4S and OMD. Though we may end up with a pair of them. I got tired of having a bunch of different stuff and in the end it mostly was to satisfy pixel peeping. The OMD with a pancake isn't much bigger than the DLux4. And the iPhone, while not near the quality, at least is always on me.

And there likely will be other OMD models pretty quickly. So as long as I have good glass...

Post Thanks / Like

JPEG using the kit 12-50mm lens and dialing in some underexposure for a bit of contre jour and slightly adjusted in Viveza for tone and colour. The 'keep warm colour' of the default setup can be seen in the water, I think I will switch it off.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    JPEG using the kit 12-50mm lens and dialing in some underexposure for a bit of contre jour and slightly adjusted in Viveza for tone and colour. The 'keep warm colour' of the default setup can be seen in the water, I think I will switch it off.

Steve
    Excellent Steve - shooting just jpg means that a little underexposure seems like a good idea - I'm doing that as well. . . . . and I've switched off 'keep warm colour' too.

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    There is a setting in the menus - Custom -> G -> "Keep Warm Color". By default it is on, and it will make indoor shots a bit too warm (even for my taste). Switch that off and you'll likely not need to cool in post.
    Thanks Todd
    Helpful - I hadn't been through all of the menus yet - it's duly switched off, together with noise reduction and lots of other stuff!

Still, the menus aren't actually too bad at all, the only really substantial thing I've changed is to put ISO on the video button - the rest can wait.

Yeah, it is interesting.

The Fuji is my primary for now.
    The Nikon 1 is long lens stuff and P&S.
    The NEX7 I really like and I haven't sold off my m4/3 lenses.

Well, like Todd my FF stuff seems to be going (I have to ask myself why I would want to lug around all those kg with the kind of IQ I can get from these little cameras).

I suspect that the APSc stuff is next on the block (A77 & lenses). Which will leave me with the Leica M and either m4/3 or NEX. . . . . Perhaps!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, you seem to have a home, and surroundings, with interesting stuff in it!

Thank you all for the nice images, and for the kind comments as well. Michiel, maybe that simply was an image to your taste?

Steve, like you I got the 12-50mm kit lens with the E-M5. Seeing your image, and a good one it is, confimrs that was a good choice. It makes sense having a weather shielded lens to go with the body.

Here are a couple more images. I used to shoot a lot in the streets earlier but not nearly as much these days. Still, I wanted to see how the E-M5 AF serves in these situations:

The guy above did his family, I did him. OK, at f/4 we have an f/8 and be there -situation but the Af worked fine.

I took a couple of steps towards him, got the image above, and a crop:

Above: I'm not really satisfied with the "sharpness" here... there is some motion blur, probably me, and that at 1/250 of a sec.

Above: No complaints here.

Above: A hasty situation. It looks OK here but checking the image more closely again show some motion blur (and again it was probably me) and now at 1/500.

All these images were taken with the Panasonic micro 25/1.4 and with the IBIS set to IS1. I'll have to look further into this.

Ahem... Do we need a separate thread discussing how to set up the E-M5 (and perhaps we can keep discussions about pros and cons with different system to the OM-D E-M5 discussion thread)? And you guys shoot JPGs?!

Cheers,

Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the nice images, and for the kind comments as well. Michiel, maybe that simply was an image to your taste?

Steve, like you I got the 12-50mm kit lens with the E-M5. Seeing your image, and a good one it is, confimrs that was a good choice. It makes sense having a weather shielded lens to go with the body.

Here are a couple more images. I used to shoot a lot in the streets earlier but not nearly as much these days. Still, I wanted to see how the E-M5 AF serves in these situations:

The guy above did his family, I did him. OK, at f/4 we have an f/8 and be there -situation but the Af worked fine.

I took a couple of steps towards him, got the image above, and a crop:

Above: I'm not really satisfied with the "sharpness" here... there is some motion blur, probably me, and that at 1/250 of a sec.

Above: No complaints here.

Above: A hasty situation. It looks OK here but checking the image more closely again show some motion blur (and again it was probably me) and now at 1/500.

All these images were taken with the Panasonic micro 25/1.4 and with the IBIS set to IS1. I'll have to look further into this.

Ahem... Do we need a separate thread discussing how to set up the E-M5 (and perhaps we can keep discussions about pros and cons with different system to the OM-D E-M5 discussion thread)? And you guys shoot JPGs?!

Cheers,

Jonas
    I can't read his credit card number, definitely not sharp enough.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you - yes . . . my wife once threw something away (I think it was in 1994)

Cheers,

Jonas
    Excellent idea - are you going to start it?
    As for jpgs - I never shoot jpgs . . . except when I have a new camera not supported by Aperture, in which case I shoot both. I actually find it a good discipline sometimes to shoot jpg only - no room for exposure errors!).

Periodically I do the round of converters to see if the situation has changed . . . then go back to Aperture! I've been using LR quite a lot recently for different reasons, but I don't like it.
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A converter, like the camera, is a tool. Whatever works best for you. I have used all of the major converters on the Mac (Aperture, Lightroom, Capture One, and AfterShot Pro) and each have their strengths and weaknesses. I use Lightroom for dance work, Capture One for portraiture, AfterShot Pro for black and white conversion, and Aperture for book works (but LR's Blurb Module may supplant this) and project oriented work.

Call me a lunatic, but that's the way I roll.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    You're a lunatic!
    using Lightroom or Aperture as a DAM is really the only way forward for me - and I don't want more than one library!

Anyway . . anyway. .

I took this one last night in the office . . and rather liked it - (working on snaps from China). Some people like to have their photos taken . . . others don't!

kit lens, 33mm ISO 1600 1/80th f5.6

Today it's glum weather . . and I have to work, but I've been playing with the macro function on the kit lens - it seems to work pretty well.

all at F6 - the 20g is at 800 ISO the others at 1600.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    I can't read his credit card number, definitely not sharp enough.
    Haha. I have a third image where I think I can work out the credit card number incl the security card as the guy kindly was chewing his card with the back side up. But it wouldn't feel right really to post that... The man was taking an image of his family at a tourist spot here in Gothenburg. When I walked away I heard his daughter telling him I had taken an image of him. He smiled and waved, realizing how he had been looking...

(About a thread about E-M5 settings) Excellent idea - are you going to start it?
    As for jpgs - I never shoot jpgs . . . except when I have a new camera not supported by Aperture, in which case I shoot both. I actually find it a good discipline sometimes to shoot jpg only - no room for exposure errors!).

Periodically I do the round of converters to see if the situation has changed . . . then go back to Aperture! I've been using LR quite a lot recently for different reasons, but I don't like it.
    all the best
    No, I won't start such a thread. I'm trying to keep a DPR thread about firmware bugs updated and that's enough of such commitments for me.

And yes, I shot JPG plus raw in the start. Then we got this Lightroom 4.1 RC2 supporting the raw files so now I'm into raw format only. The downside of that is that you don't get those sharp fine images to review. The embedded JPG seem to have quite low resolution.

Heh. When looking at myself in the mirror I don't think I should call anyone else "lunatic".

(...) (working on snaps from China). Some people like to have their photos taken . . . others don't!
    The gesture... is that the Chinese version of giving you the finger or was he joking? Nice image, at least the left part!

I have taken some other daylight images today with the IBIS set to IS1 but I haven't evaluated them yet. It will be interesting to see if one has to switch IBIS on and off all the time to get optimal results.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The gesture... is that the Chinese version of giving you the finger or was he joking? Nice image, at least the left part!
    I'm sure he wasn't joking - not a kind look - what I really like is that the cheery bloke is mimicking the gesture with his cigarette.

I'll have to go and look at your dpreview thread.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

(...)
    I'll have to go and look at your dpreview thread.
    The thread E-M5 firmware bugs, report them here was updated April 26 and you can see there are a couple more bugs reported since then.

I also think folks into video found some things in need of a rework.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This camera has me interested in m4/3... Can I see more images with faster aperture? I like bokehs and I would like to stay around 35 to 50 equivalent and still have them. Also, what about adapting M-lenses to this camera? Thanks in advance
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

Got my OMD today. Quick setup and it was no issue as I am used to the EP2 and EP3 which I owned and the logics of the OMD are pretty similar.

Overall the camera performs extremely fast. Have configured it that it works in good old Leica R mode (for those of you who know what I mean ) plus it chimes automatically in with face recognition and some other helpful stuff - really love it.

EVF is perfect - much better IMHO than VR2 and touch screen is big an bright and as it can be tilted I found myself shooting a lot holding the camera at hip level, especially some "action shots" with my baby daughter.

So far only shot JPEG, as I am waiting for RAW capability in LR, but JPEGs are already stunning.

Looking forward to some more testing the following days.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter - there is LR raw capability with the latest release candidate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    This camera has me interested in m4/3... Can I see more images with faster aperture? I like bokehs and I would like to stay around 35 to 50 equivalent and still have them. Also, what about adapting M-lenses to this camera? Thanks in advance
    David,
    the m4/3 platform is very flexible when it comes to adapting legacy glass. Adapters from Fotodiox and Novoflex are IMHO the best around. Cosina Voigtlander is a member of the Micro Four-Thirds Consortium and they make a pair of f/0.95 primes in 17.5 & 25mm (35 & 50mm eFL) that have very nice bokeh and are Noctilux fast at 1/10 the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks carlos... I thought I was cured of GAS... sigh...
    David Young

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    Thanks carlos... I thought I was cured of GAS... sigh...
    There's no cure for GAS - We Are All Doomed

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Installed and works fine! though I have to admit that the OOC JPEGs are already pretty nice - actually cannot see much difference between these and RAW. Will try out RAW tomorrow in more detail .....

Thanks again.

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cosina Voigtlander is a member of the Micro Four-Thirds Consortium and they make a pair of f/0.95 primes in 17.5 & 25mm (35 & 50mm eFL) that have very nice bokeh and are Noctilux fast at 1/10 the price.
    Carlos - I could kill you - of course, I wasn't interested in the 0.95 (got one for my M9) . . . then I looked at the specs . . . it focuses down to 7 inches. . . . Oh Dear . . . Oh deary dear me.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just checked out the PL25 f/1.4 thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds...5mm-1-4-a.html

Certainly looked good enough to me I'd start packing if I was my NEX camera :P If any OMD owner has that lens, I would love to see more
    David Young

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos - I could kill you - of course, I wasn't interested in the 0.95 (got one for my M9) . . . then I looked at the specs . . . it focuses down to 7 inches. . . . Oh Dear . . . Oh deary dear me.
    You first Jono

I'm desperate for a high grade 35mm perspective lens for m4/3rds, but I really like autofocus and could live with f1.4 for something more compact and lightweight (cheaper would also be good!).

I'll sit tight with my X100 for now

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    You first Jono

I'm desperate for a high grade 35mm perspective lens for m4/3rds, but I really like autofocus and could live with f1.4 for something more compact and lightweight (cheaper would also be good!).

Cheers

Brian
    Ahh Brian - they have the 17.5 in stock at Robert White (or they did have). Personally I'm really not interested in 35mm perspective (never could get to grips with it). I'm going to have to fight off the 50 f1.4 though.

Have you got your OMD yet?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

There's no cure for GAS - We Are All Doomed
    Unfortunately true. I never was infected by GAS until I started visiting GetDPI, apparently its very contagious. I am seriously looking at a black OM-D to utilize my M4/3 lens collection (20, 45Macro, 7-14, 14-45, 45-200). Hoping for faster autofocus, upgraded sensor performance and a better viewfinder over my old G1. The image stabilization is a huge plus, assuming it works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

Brian,

Like you, I am 'desperate' for a high grade 35mm perspective lens, and I would be happy for even f2 if it were nice with color/contrast and overall sharpness. I don't care about pancake - my dream is a match to the Oly 45 in terms of price, quality, size and weight.

However, I'm SO 'desperate' that I am thinking about the Voigtlander or the X100. You are in the BEST position to get the lens and then advise me whether the $1200 is better spent on the lens or the X100.

Please don't delay, I need the guidance quickly.
    Roberto M.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Kerfoot View Post
    Unfortunately true. I never was infected by GAS until I started visiting GetDPI, apparently its very contagious. I am seriously looking at a black OM-D to utilize my M4/3 lens collection (20, 45Macro, 7-14, 14-45, 45-200). Hoping for faster autofocus, upgraded sensor performance and a better viewfinder over my old G1. The image stabilization is a huge plus, assuming it works well.
    HI Paul
    The image stabilisation is, of course, not magic.

This, for instance, was taken at 1/15th sec - it's not bad, but as you can see, it's not perfect

by the way, it was taken with the panasonic 100-300 (IS turned off on lens) at 300mm (i.e. 600mm equivalent)

. . . as was this one

this one is a more realistic 100mm (200 equivalent) also at 1/15th

exif should be intact.

There you are - I've saved you all that money

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pikme View Post
    Brian,

Like you, I am 'desperate' for a high grade 35mm perspective lens, and I would be happy for even f2 if it were nice with color/contrast and overall sharpness. I don't care about pancake - my dream is a match to the Oly 45 in terms of price, quality, size and weight.

However, I'm SO 'desperate' that I am thinking about the Voigtlander or the X100. You are in the BEST position to get the lens and then advise me whether the $1200 is better spent on the lens or the X100.

Please don't delay, I need the guidance quickly.
    Brian - I'm afraid pikme is right - you owe it to us to buy an OMD and a 17.5 CV - only you can really test it for us.

Only You.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This, for instance, was taken at 1/15th sec - it's not bad, but as you can see, it's not perfect
    Why-Oh-why would one shoot a tele-zoom like the 100-300 at 1/15th sec ? Because ... you CAN

Still, I'd use faster shutter speeds than 1/15th sec, Jono. However I admire your steady hand here.
    Frankly, I'd have expected you could have cranked-up the ISO to at least 1000-1200 without introducing too much noise.

But how's handling the E-M5 and the 100-300 without the grip ?

Thanks and have fun
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

You're a lunatic!
    using Lightroom or Aperture as a DAM is really the only way forward for me - and I don't want more than one library!
    Nice pics.

Just replying to say that I don't want any libraries! I only want folders! I use the OS to find, label, and tag stuff. I have about 170,000 images in folders. 100k in RAW, 35k converted to PSD, and 35k scaled JPegs. Finding stuff is instant and I never even need to load an app. I tried libraries in 4 or 5 different apps and just hated it. Folders rock for me. Search options in the OS are more abundant than most editors and the scripting functions are right there too if I wanna run them all through some automated process or something.

Between "A Better Finder Rename", Apple Script, The OS and a few of the Service functions I'm really digging using only Mac OS with ACR and some PS.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Why-Oh-why would one shoot a tele-zoom like the 100-300 at 1/15th sec ? Because ... you CAN

Still, I'd use faster shutter speeds than 1/15th sec, Jono. However I admire your steady hand here.
    Frankly, I'd have expected you could have cranked-up the ISO to at least 1000-1200 without introducing too much noise.
    Actually Bart, for these I set the shutter speed to 15th - I wanted to see how it worked - certainly not what I'd do in normal circumstances . . still, it did seem to work . . How many stops does that make the IS . . . erm . sounds a bit like 5 stops - you wouldn't want to do it . . . . but it's nice as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    But how's handling the E-M5 and the 100-300 without the grip ?

Thanks and have fun
    Oh - it's fine - no problem, in this case I was kneeling and resting my elbow on my knee, but the lens and camera combination is quite okay.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    Nice pics.

Just replying to say that I don't want any libraries! I only want folders! I use the OS to find, label, and tag stuff. I have about 170,000 images in folders. 100k in RAW, 35k converted to PSD, and 35k scaled JPegs. Finding stuff is instant and I never even need to load an app. I tried libraries in 4 or 5 different apps and just hated it. Folders rock for me. Search options in the OS are more abundant than most editors and the scripting functions are right there too if I wanna run them all through some automated process or something.

Between "A Better Finder Rename", Apple Script, The OS and a few of the Service functions I'm really digging using only Mac OS with ACR and some PS.
    Well, I was joshing an old mate a bit - but still, I used to work like that, now everything is still in folders . . . but it's only RAW files and the (very) occasional PSD or TIF - no scaled jpgs, no thumbnails for web - I make them when I need them and then remove them. I used to have real trouble because I'd find 15 versions of a file and not knowing which was the most recent etc. etc. Now, I need an image for something - it's there in Aperture, and I output whatever I need.

Each to his own!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I was joshing an old mate a bit - but still, I used to work like that, now everything is still in folders . . . but it's only RAW files and the (very) occasional PSD or TIF - no scaled jpgs, no thumbnails for web - I make them when I need them and then remove them. I used to have real trouble because I'd find 15 versions of a file and not knowing which was the most recent etc. etc. Now, I need an image for something - it's there in Aperture, and I output whatever I need.

Each to his own!
    When I export with presets I embed the size in the file name like 800px or 1200px.

LR4 has the option to export to email and I now have a whole set of presets for the sizes I want to use. So, I can quickly email out a picture without ever having to export it to a file. Bravo!

Post Thanks / Like

I was intrigued by Jono's macro shots with the 12-50mm and it prompted me to work out what the button on the lens actually did.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I export with presets I embed the size in the file name like 800px or 1200px.
    I use versions, and if I need it again later, I don't try and find it . . . I simply export it again
    LR4 has the option to export to email and I now have a whole set of presets for the sizes I want to use. So, I can quickly email out a picture without ever having to export it to a file. Bravo!
    Yeah Yeah - but the export presets seem so clunky and hard to configure compared to . . . . . . hey hey we don't need an Aperture/LR argument here!

I've just spent 4 months using LR almost exclusively (because of camera compatability)- I thought it'd finally be the catalyst to moving over from Aperture, but, quite the contrary, it's simply made me appreciate Aperture more.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was intrigued by Jono's macro shots with the 12-50mm and it prompted me to work out what the button on the lens actually did.

Steve
    That's fantastic Steve
    It might not be as good as the lovely 45 Macro . . . but it ain't bad!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I use versions, and if I need it again later, I don't try and find it . . . I simply export it again

Yeah Yeah - but the export presets seem so clunky and hard to configure compared to . . . . . . hey hey we don't need an Aperture/LR argument here!

I've just spent 4 months using LR almost exclusively (because of camera compatability)- I thought it'd finally be the catalyst to moving over from Aperture, but, quite the contrary, it's simply made me appreciate Aperture more.
    Apps are like that! I'm so glad there's variety! Some apps just fit some people - for whatever reasons. Sometimes it's the GUI, sometimes it's the imposed workflow, and sometimes it's the level of sophistication/simplicity of the toolset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve
    Steve,
    how many times have I told you not to go on photo shoots near Chernobyl?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post