The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD gold award at dpreview

raist3d

HI Bart
The review is interesting - they seem to think that the dynamic range is better than the G3 . . . and the RAW high ISO looks better as well.
I've ordered the kit lens - the grips come free (which was why I cracked and ordered it today).
I did an examination myself with dcraw of someone at dpreview (rickyastro? I forgot), that kindly posted shots in same ballpark conditions of the GH2 and the EM5.

My analysis puts the highlight DR at slightly over 1 stop and shadow dr at a notch better than the GH2! Therefore it is indeed better than the G3/GX1 by a noticeable margin because the GH2 by reference to the others, scores best in DR (Dxo). In fact the GH2 was the best 4/3rds/ m4/3rds DR until now.

This also made me change what I thought was at first a tweaked GX1 sensor (and if it's a tweak it's a hell of a hardware tweak!). For some reason early images that came out didn't show this kind of performance. I wonder how many "reviews" had in their hands pre-release/beta cameras and not final product.

Really happy for Olympus here and glad they were able to put a nice sensor on a new camera. I don't know why people find the price expensive. Even with the GX1 sensor, I would have found the price fair for the whole package. I think the price is quite adequate, very much unlike what happened when the E-5 was released.

At this point I am thinking a bit about it as a way to consolidate using two cameras (Q and K-5), but not sure yet. I like the Q and K-5 a lot, but having two instead of one is something that I think gets in the way of focus- for me. Maybe I'll learn to really live with that. On the other hand the EM-5 doesn't get me pocket ability but I think if at least I could put it away in a pocket without a lens I could deal. I just want an option of "putting away the camera" and be able to "wear it" while forgetting about it.

- Ricardo

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hooray on the shutter sound noise level: this is very important for me. I mention the GXR 50 macro model in this regard, too: it's super quiet.

nostatic

Love the shutter sound. Regarding the K5 (and I have sentimental Pentax feelings) for reference my g/f has a Sony a67. It is a *much* bigger camera than the OMD. Really night and day. The K5 may be a bit smaller than the a67, but the OMD is smaller than it looks in pics, and does not have the profile or bulk of any of the dSLRs, even the small ones.

etrigan63

Well my dealer confirmed receipt of my NEX-7 kit that i am trading for the OM-D. I am merely waiting on the shipping message to alight in my inbox.

jonoslack

Well my dealer confirmed receipt of my NEX-7 kit that i am trading for the OM-D. I am merely waiting on the shipping message to alight in my inbox.
HI Carlos
I hope you'll be happy together - my NEX7 stays for the time being. I'm going to do a relaxed and unpressured comparison before I decide which way to go.

250swb

Hi Jono,

The M9 seems to have missed the gold.
Yes no full review, and what would they have written about there are only a couple of controls to twiddle, it would have taken one page!

As regards the OM-D I admit I am baffled with all the customization available (but know my way around an Olympus 'DSLR' by owning an E3), but after charging the battery and setting the quality menu I ran out and started taking pictures. Now that is what I find impressive, as soon as the camera was at my eye I didn't think about it, simple, easy, nothing to get in the way, a photographers camera. My recent short affair with a Fuji X10 compact was quite the opposite, forever the nagging doubt that I had forgotten to set something properly, forever trawling the menu for clues.

Steve

jonoslack

Yes no full review, and what would they have written about there are only a couple of controls to twiddle, it would have taken one page!

As regards the OM-D I admit I am baffled with all the customization available (but know my way around an Olympus 'DSLR' by owning an E3), but after charging the battery and setting the quality menu I ran out and started taking pictures. Now that is what I find impressive, as soon as the camera was at my eye I didn't think about it, simple, easy, nothing to get in the way, a photographers camera. My recent short affair with a Fuji X10 compact was quite the opposite, forever the nagging doubt that I had forgotten to set something properly, forever trawling the menu for clues.

Steve
HI Steve
I sat in bed last night and went down through the menus - most of it's fairly unnecessary, but none of it seems particularly complicated, and it is reasonably arranged. I changed the AEL button functionality, put ISO on the video button ,removed auto NR on the jpgs and put shutter speed on the front dial in shutter priority - that was it.

I agree though, and had the same experience with the X10 - the OMD does seem like a photographer's camera - I'm having fun (I just wish that Apple would hurry up and support the RAW files).

All the best

etrigan63

HI Carlos
I hope you'll be happy together - my NEX7 stays for the time being. I'm going to do a relaxed and unpressured comparison before I decide which way to go.
I wanted to do the same thing, but a lack of cash precludes such luxury. I will have to go off of my copious notes, thousands of shots and elephantine memory for the NEX-7 part of my report.

JMaher

I am wavering. I love the idea of these cameras but never fell in love with the ones I owned. The original Pen was too slow at focusing, the G (1, I think ) didn't have stabilization with the fantastic 20 1.7 and many of the current lenses just were not out when I last ventured here.

I primarily shoot Canon and concentrate on people and sometimes landscapes. I like this camera better than the Nikon for these purposes as I always disliked the Nikon colors (except for the D2H).

I used to have an E3 and my favorite lens was the 12-60. Fast, sharp and great colors. I gave it up to move to a camera with better low light performance. However I still remember it fondly. It and a Nikon D2H were probably my favorite digital cameras.

I may have dallied with a few other great cameras over the years (D700, X100, K5, 5N) but the grass was always greener. Can any one here relate?

I like the idea of the OMD - small and I could carry it anywhere. I won't sell the Canon system and will keep it for its intended use.

What do you think of the OMD with the 12-50 and a 45 as a carry everywhere kit? Will I love the responsiveness, the picture quality?

The photos here are representative of what i usually take:
Photos by Maher

Forgive the long winded message, I would love to hear any opinions.

Jim

Last edited:

jonoslack

Forgive the long winded message, I would love to hear any opinions.

Jim
HI Jim
Not making judgements yet . .. a friend of mine once said that the definition of good technology is that it is 'not irritating'. Certainly I've not been irritated by the OMD yet.
The Kit lens seems very reminiscent of the 12-60 (I also remember the E3 and 12-60 with much fondness) - of course, it's slower, but then the IS is better, and the high ISO of the camera is much better than the E3
Watch this space!

Hosermage

Jono, I'll be very interested to hear your review and comparison with the NEX7. I still kept my NEX5n (with a single 18-200 for video) because it adapts so well with M lenses. But the AF in OMD amazes me and IBIS with 12-50 lens seems like a good video solution with weather seal.

jonoslack

Jono, I'll be very interested to hear your review and comparison with the NEX7. I still kept my NEX5n (with a single 18-200 for video) because it adapts so well with M lenses. But the AF in OMD amazes me and IBIS with 12-50 lens seems like a good video solution with weather seal.
Hi there David - the NEX5n is a lovely camera - and, as you say, works well with M lenses - haven't tried the OMD with m lenses (I'm sure I have an adapter somewhere, but I simply can't find the damned thing!) The lack of focus peaking makes it less than ideal - on the other hand I think the focus assist is probably better implemented.

I suspect that, in the end, it's going to come down to ergonomics and functionality rather than Image quality.

all the best

V

Vivek

Jono, Steen is trying a sell a couple of these (M) adapters, in case you can not locate yours. :)

jonoslack

Jono, Steen is trying a sell a couple of these (M) adapters, in case you can not locate yours. :)
HI Vivek
to be honest . . . . and generally speaking, I'd rather use my M lenses on my M9, and native m43 lenses on the OMD - I don't think I'm going to buy another adapter . . . but if I found one in the kitchen then that might be different!

Incidentally Vivek do you have the CV 25 f0.95? Fatally I just discovered that it focuses down to 17cm. I'd be interested in your judgement.

all the best

Terry

HI Steve
I sat in bed last night and went down through the menus - most of it's fairly unnecessary, but none of it seems particularly complicated, and it is reasonably arranged. I changed the AEL button functionality, put ISO on the video button ,removed auto NR on the jpgs and put shutter speed on the front dial in shutter priority - that was it.

I agree though, and had the same experience with the X10 - the OMD does seem like a photographer's camera - I'm having fun (I just wish that Apple would hurry up and support the RAW files).

All the best
There really is one truly useful feature on olympus that I think is worth digging into the menus for: Live View clipping warnings where you can set the threshold.

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

No, I do not have the C-V 25/0.95. I am mighty interested in the 17/0.95.

There is a rumored upcoming 35/0.95 from China (see: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/sony/36883-china-35-0-95-a.html).

I do have several 25/0.95 lenses that are usable on the m4/3rds cams.

Angenieux 25/0.95, Som Berthiot 25/0.95, Senko/Navitar/Unknown c mount each...

The first two have their own specific "characters".

OTOH, to remind your own advice, you may find it rewarding to get those R luxes very soon. Sounds very OT and cryptic. Sorry can't give any more details but I will not regret having mentioned this in the context of Noct! ;)

HI Vivek
to be honest . . . . and generally speaking, I'd rather use my M lenses on my M9, and native m43 lenses on the OMD - I don't think I'm going to buy another adapter . . . but if I found one in the kitchen then that might be different!

Incidentally Vivek do you have the CV 25 f0.95? Fatally I just discovered that it focuses down to 17cm. I'd be interested in your judgement.

all the best

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

No, I do not have the C-V 25/0.95. I am mighty interested in the 17/0.95.

There is a rumored upcoming 35/0.95 from China (see: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/sony/36883-china-35-0-95-a.html).

I do have several 25/0.95 lenses that are usable on the m4/3rds cams.

Angenieux 25/0.95, Som Berthiot 25/0.95, Senko/Navitar/Unknown c mount each...

The first two have their own specific "characters".
Thanks Vivek . . . truth to tell it was only a little whim when I discovered how close it focused - for me mirror less cameras are fundamentally an AF zoom experience . . . .
OTOH, to remind your own advice, you may find it rewarding to get those R luxes very soon. Sounds very OT and cryptic. Sorry can't give any more details but I will not regret having mentioned this in the context of Noct! ;)
Ah! I'm sure you're right . . I've collected one or two R lenses (notably the 28-90 and the 180 f2.8 APO) . . they're expensive enough now, but I'm sure they'll get much worse!

I'll go looking!