The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD vs NEX7 - resolution - discuss

jonoslack

That WAS the EXACTLY the lunch time discussion.

But do I need to go find the thread where you swore off anything smaller than APS-c??? :LOL:
Oh Yes - you certainly do have to find it. . . I'm almost sure I've never said that, because I've always felt that 4/3 was as close to APS/c as to make no difference (the difference was all the fault of the sensors). . . mind you, I might have had a moment's aberration (call me Mr Inconsistent)

V

Vivek

I was hoping to find a "wide" solution for my street snaps. The NEX-7 isn't optimal for that. Was still pondering about the Ricoh GR A12 M.

As luck would have it, struck gold with a tiny and cheap NEX-C3. 16Mp of pure delight!

The NEX-7 still delivers the goods with the system lenses and a host of other adapted ones.

OM-D is too expensive for me. I am delighted that Olympus are back in the news for positive reasons.

I would look to see what the rumored GH-3 will have to offer- in the meantime, looking forward to the NEX-F3.

Oh, I still have freezers well stocked with antique capture media. ;)

nostatic

While not to the GAS level of some here (though if you look at the last few years with my bass guitar gear I might have everyone beat), I've cycled through a couple of systems. I pixel-peeped until the cows came home (all three of there here in LA). In that regard the 5D2 made me the happiest, but my best shots were often taken with the DLux3 or 4, and the most fun I had shooting was with the E-P1, followed by Pentax (though only due to the Ltd lenses). I tried to go Sony and still have an a77 at work. I tried to like the nex-5n and I did like a lot of the shots. But I just didn't find it fun to shoot or ergonomically very good in my hands. I waited for the 7 to come out as I want/need a VF these days (drat old eyes) but after months I finally bailed.

So what I was hoping was that the OMD would give me the fun of the E-P1 with better low light performance and better AF. And so far, so good. I also like the aesthetics and other factors (weather sealing, good glass available, etc). It isn't perfect, but at least so far it is fun.

jonoslack

So what I was hoping was that the OMD would give me the fun of the E-P1 with better low light performance and better AF. And so far, so good. I also like the aesthetics and other factors (weather sealing, good glass available, etc). It isn't perfect, but at least so far it is fun.
Sounds like a good summing up. . . and the 12-50 may not be actually magic (i.e. a 4 times f1.4 zoom which rivals a summilux at all focal lengths and all apertures), but it does cover all the bases well, and without fuss.

JMaher

In that regard the 5D2 made me the happiest, but... and the most fun I had shooting was with the E-P1, followed by Pentax... I tried to like the nex-5n and I did like a lot of the shots. But I just didn't find it fun to shoot or ergonomically very good in my hands. I waited for the 7 to come out as I want/need a VF these days (drat old eyes) but after months I finally bailed.

Wow. Basically my sentiments, I still have a 5D2 and it takes fantastic pictures but I always seem to want something smaller, lighter, more fun, etc. The EP-1 was great in some ways but so slow to focus, the K5 was close to perfect but so close in size to the 5d2 and the quality was not quite the same, the 5N actually was the best fit in many ways but it never felt like the right tool in my hand.

The silver OM-D with with the 12-50 doesn't seem to be available but I broke down and put one on order at Adorama today.

Jim

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
Jono,

thanks for opening the discussion.

Arguments for the NEX-7:

- resolution and this maybe not even significant enough
- 18-200mm zoom (not for pixel peeping but as a travel lens, I like it better than the 14-140 - not really bad either

For the OMD

- Lenses like the PanLeica 25mm and 45mm
- UWA like 7-14mm (have to see how the CA removal works on the OMD though)
- Handling is fine
- IBIS is very nice I think

PS: Who compared GH2 to OMD by the way. The GH2 I have :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for taking the time to do this comparison, Jono. As I expected, there aren't really any differences in actual image quality that would be significant to my photography. The figures are large, but the increase from 16 to 24MP isn't more than from 4 to 6 or 8 to 12MP. The world didn't turn into apple crumble with custard when those improvements arrived either.

Another side of this is that the 24MP sensor from Sony isn't a very impressive effort. I said that when the NEX 7 was introduced, and I see the same lack of Nirvana (or apple crumble) when I study the samples from the Nikon D3200. No wonder Nikon is late with the D400.

Olympus have really hit a home run with this camera. I can't see many (or any?) cameras under $3,000 that improve significantly on either image quality or ergonomics compared to the OM-D, and we're looking at a $1,000, 400 gram camera with a rather complete lens line-up except for the rather annoying lack of premium quality long ones.

In many ways, we're back to OM-1 vs. Nikon F again, except there is no Nikon F any longer. This is soooo good :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>lens line-up except for the rather annoying lack of premium quality long ones.

I may add fast high quality mid range zoom.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>PanaLeica 14-50 f/2.8-3.5, so I don't worry yet

43 and not m43? Ok.

Would be interesting to see how the 14050 compares to the Olympus 14-54mm.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
On another thread I proposed a NEX-7 vs Ricoh GXR vs OM-D comparison—all of which I own (even if the OM-D is in transit). If we can add the GXR to the mix, why not do it here?

If there is consensus, I will outline my own ergonomic/usability and lens options in a 'pluses' and 'minuses' fashion. At the outset, I want to state what my needs are in a one-camera solution, which I very much would like to settle on.

Jono, in the original post, you mentioned that the "Nikon" has weather sealing; you meant Sony, I believe.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's 4/3 yes. I don't have the Zuiko, but I believe the PL is a better lens with quite some margin. It's sharp and renders beautifully across the frame at all focal lengths and apertures, and makes the colours pop with any camera I've used it on. It balances fine on the GH1 (with no AF), and I expect to use it on the OM-D with the grip. Not a cheap lens, but great lenses rarely are.

Even after Panasonic launch their 14-35 and 35-100mm large aperture zooms, I expect to keep the older lens for the normal range unless the new lens offers something really out of the ordinary. The alternative would be the Zuiko 14-35mm f/2.0, but it's twice the weight and 2-3 times the price.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ Vivek:
I was hoping to find a "wide" solution for my street snaps. The NEX-7 isn't optimal for that. Was still pondering about the Ricoh GR A12 M.
One of my dilemmas: the GXR A12 M and the CV 12/5.6 are excellent. Only 12Mp, but no AA filter. Wonderful results. But: external finder, so for me this means it is a very awkward carry-everywhere body, because I can't find a method of carrying that I can run with, or scramble. The NEX-7 can do this (I can say this after 10 days extensive testing, among the leeches and mosquitoes: even with only a T-shirt on, the NEX-7 can be slung over one shoulder with the arm through the strap) completely comfortably, and it's quick to get to hand.

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Uwe wrote:
For the OMD

- Lenses like the PanLeica 25mm and 45mm
- UWA like 7-14mm (have to see how the CA removal works on the OMD though)
- Handling is fine
- IBIS is very nice I think
1) Agree 100% (and one might add the Oly 12/2
2) the 7-14 we have been discussing on another thread): will LR remove the distortion from raw files, or will we need DxO or other to do this? I am an Aperture user, but will change if I have to, just for this aspect. So, am waiting for Uwe to report back on this!
3) waiting to see on this bit
4) IBIS is excellent, it seems.

For the NEX-7: the Hawk's adapter makes every lens a pseudo macro, and using the 35 and 50mm CV lenses while on retreat, found I used this aspect daily.

The A12 50 macro module on the GXR works superbly, even wide open, and the shutter is virtually inaudible.

I realise these impressions are nor organised, but I will make a more formal list if people want.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Uwe to report back on this!

Had the OMD only for this weekend. But was told that the OMD should record the lend distortion data to LR. I hope CA is taken care of by LR alone.

Irenaeus

On another thread I proposed a NEX-7 vs Ricoh GXR vs OM-D comparison—all of which I own (even if the OM-D is in transit). If we can add the GXR to the mix, why not do it here?]

I've no opinion on which thread it should be in but the comparison itself would interest me immensely!

Irenaeus

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Sorry, Jono, not trying to hijack this thread. I have emailed Guy to get his suggestions for best home for this larger discussion.

Cheers, KL