The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD vs NEX7 - resolution - discuss

JMaher

I . . . for me however I really like the larger depth of field of the OMD for nature and close up work, where there will still be plenty of bokeh . . . If I want to shoot people with a short depth of field I'll use full frame.
/QUOTE]

I agree as well. However it would seem the 45 1.8 and the upcoming 75 could be pressed into service for portraits when necessary.

JIm

jonoslack

I . . . for me however I really like the larger depth of field of the OMD for nature and close up work, where there will still be plenty of bokeh . . . If I want to shoot people with a short depth of field I'll use full frame.
/QUOTE]

I agree as well. However it would seem the 45 1.8 and the upcoming 75 could be pressed into service for portraits when necessary.

JIm
Hi Jim - quite agree, and will do a perfectly decent job as well.
(the 45 is fine, and I rather lust after that 75)
all the best

Terry

I like having f1.8 on the 45. I just don't like the minimum focus distance of that lens. Begs for either buying back the 45 macro and having 2 45's or waiting for the 60 macro to arrive on the scene.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There's also the Sigma 50/1.4 in 4/3 mount which is an ideal portrait lens for m4/3 and will AF on the OM-D. I have one waiting :)

greypilgrim

I like having f1.8 on the 45. I just don't like the minimum focus distance of that lens. Begs for either buying back the 45 macro and having 2 45's or waiting for the 60 macro to arrive on the scene.
Hey Terry,
I just carry around a Canon 500D (high quality diopter), and it does really well. I imagine you could use the 250D from Canon as well or the Nikon 4T...

Doug

monza

f I want to shoot people with a short depth of field I'll use full frame
Agreed. For me, digital APS-C is full-frame. :) I have no plans to buy a full-frame digital. If I want *really* shallow DOF for portraits, I'll use my Contax 645. Portraits look much better on film anyway.

With adapted lenses that aren't corrected for the thick stack of glass on a m4/3rds sensor, the DOF charts go astray.

So, it is just not a matter real estate that determines the DOF.
I don't know about any of this, but I would venture that real estate is still the overriding factor.

raist3d

Well I quite agree Vivek - if you're confused about

Which leads back to my original issue . . . how much does one lose in terms of IQ by shooting the smaller Olympus sensor?.

. . . . .
Do you really want the answer to that question? :) I shot the K-5 vs the OMD on a back lit subject at ISO 3200 both. The K-5 had notably more shadow data, details, etc. while the EM5 sent them to crushed shadow mush. I may post the shots later. Oh and the K-5 did the same shot when there was a little less ambient light.

But to be frank, I think the IQ of the EM5 is quite good for a wide variety of situations and I think focusing on photography more than these differences is the way to go. If the EM5 didn't have the fast primes it would be a different story but it has them.

- Raist

Terry

Hey Terry,
I just carry around a Canon 500D (high quality diopter), and it does really well. I imagine you could use the 250D from Canon as well or the Nikon 4T...

Doug
I have a bunch 250D, 500D, 3T, 4T. They are pretty heavy for the teeny 45f1.8 would have to see how it would do on the 12-50 or the Panny 25mm.

ustein

Contributing Editor
> and I think focusing on photography more than these differences is the way to go.

This maybe even be at the core of this topic I think.

raist3d

> and I think focusing on photography more than these differences is the way to go.

This maybe even be at the core of this topic I think.
Sure and to be clear, I think most people should just stop pretending the EM5 does "as well as any APS-C" (or best APS-C) and accept it for what it is. Pros and cons. I see a lot of "oh the EM5 matches APS-C/FF, etc." which is just not true. But it doesn't need to, to be good.

- Raist

nostatic

I know it won't create images like my now-gone 5D2. But I find the OMD more fun to shoot. So I can have fun getting "lesser" images (though for most of my uses only pixel peeping could confirm that) or I can have a large FF camera sitting in the drawer not getting used. :D

greypilgrim

I have a bunch 250D, 500D, 3T, 4T. They are pretty heavy for the teeny 45f1.8 would have to see how it would do on the 12-50 or the Panny 25mm.
I use the lensbaby hood/step up ring to 52mm, and I use a 52mm 500D (or my other 52mm filters). That balances really nicely for me. I standardized on 52mm for all my primes (12, 20, 45, and various nikkors) plus they work on the 14-45 and 45-200.

Step Up/Shade | 37mm to 52mm filter adapter

It also gives me a nice little lens hood that stays on the lens all the time and adds little bulk at all.

Doug

Terry

I use the lensbaby hood/step up ring to 52mm, and I use a 52mm 500D (or my other 52mm filters). That balances really nicely for me. I standardized on 52mm for all my primes (12, 20, 45, and various nikkors) plus they work on the 14-45 and 45-200.

Step Up/Shade | 37mm to 52mm filter adapter

It also gives me a nice little lens hood that stays on the lens all the time and adds little bulk at all.

Doug
I love this forum. Ordered.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Do you really want the answer to that question? :) I shot the K-5 vs the OMD on a back lit subject at ISO 3200 both. The K-5 had notably more shadow data, details, etc. while the EM5 sent them to crushed shadow mush. I may post the shots later. Oh and the K-5 did the same shot when there was a little less ambient light.

But to be frank, I think the IQ of the EM5 is quite good for a wide variety of situations and I think focusing on photography more than these differences is the way to go. If the EM5 didn't have the fast primes it would be a different story but it has them.

- Raist
+1

I do see that there are better solutions out there than the OMD - but the issue is that the OMD is overall such a great solution that it can hardly be topped.

Olympus did a really good job this time! So let's not tighten this success anymore ....

OMD - GREAT CAMERA!!!!

Diane B

I've been debating that exact thing since I have the 45/2.8 macro. I did get out my FD50/1.8 and Hexanon 40/1.8 with adapters to satisfy me until I make some decision of where to go--next LOL.

I still do have my old 5D which still gives me lovely shallow DOF images but, doggone, I sure have gotten lazy LOL. It doesn't go with me very often these days.

Diane B

Ricardo, I'll remember this when I want to quiet that camera lust that is difficult to quell sometimes LOL. I'm still shooting with G3 and haven't decided if/when I'll make a decision to change. I do know I'm shooting a great deal more with m4/3 than DSLR and making adjustments for that.

- Raist