The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buying a portrait lens

In my DSLR days I had a fast 85mm lens for doing portraits whilst I was interviewing people.

I've yet to get one for my m 4/3 gear. My 20mm is too wide. My medium (kit) zoom is too slow. I am currenlty using a GH2.

As I see it in the UK there are three alternatives:-

The 25mm f1.4 at around 440 UKP. Fast but a bit wide.

The 45mm f2.8 at around 500 UKP. The initial thought.

Then I spotted the Olly 45mm f1.8 which is only about 230 UKP.

Suddenly there was only one alternative. The Olly.

Has anyone owned the Panny and the Olly 45mm and found a noticeable difference to warrant the price variance?

Tony

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I owned two copies of the Panny; and now have the Oly 45/1.8. Small, sharp, brilliant. Definitely no IQ differences in my copies (I used the Panny 45s for macro as well as portraits).

nostatic

No brainier - oly 45/1.8. Sweet little lens. Not as brutally sharp as the 25/1.4 but I may like the colors a bit better. A deal at the price.

I still own both, and left aside the macro capabilities of the Panaleica, I prefer the Oly 45/18 over the Pana 45/2.8, which is still a very good lens, BTW.