The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 external monitor (HDMI out) only allows 16:9 photos

ErikTande

I've noticed with my GH2 when I plug in an external monitor via the HDMI cable, the only aspect ratio the camera allows is 16:9. Is there anyway around this? I'd rather shoot 3:2.

Thanks!

ErikTande

Yep, I tried everything. I didn't really need it, so I unplugged it and shot without it. It's too bad though. It's nice to have because then both you and your subject can see the shot you're taking.

Got some good shots today though, I was taking some new headshots for a friend that has an audition coming up.

(gh2, oly 45mm)

R

retnull

Not positive, but I believe that the HDMI specification is designed for HD video, which is generally in 16:9....so it is not really Panasonic's fault.

I suppose Panasonic could do letter-boxing of images in other aspect ratios, but this would require extra processing that might interfere with real-time output.