The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

bradhusick

I'd really like to try this lens on the OM-D for indoor sports such as box lacrosse or basketball. Sounds promising.

jsnack

Nice...couple this with the upcoming Olympus 75/1.8 and you've got a small, light and very capable travel system.

ggibson

The sample images I've seen are incredibly sharp and impressive all the way to the edge. Like shots from a prime lens. I better start saving for this and the 35-100mm.

The GH3 announcement should be very interesting.

biglouis

The samples at Dpreview look very good indeed. Some of the portrait stuff is quite frankly amazing. Not entirely too sure why I would lug around the bigger DSLRs when you could use this instead.

The only downside I can see is the street price for an OMD body and the projected price of this lens (£999?) makes it a more expensive proposition than a Pentax K-5 and DA 16-50 and about the same price as a D7000 and 17-35/2.8.

toobacat

The samples at Dpreview look very good indeed. Some of the portrait stuff is quite frankly amazing. Not entirely too sure why I would lug around the bigger DSLRs when you could use this instead.

The only downside I can see is the street price for an OMD body and the projected price of this lens (£999?) makes it a more expensive proposition than a Pentax K-5 and DA 16-50 and about the same price as a D7000 and 17-35/2.8.
Pentax has really increased the price of their lenses. The 16-50 is $1499 at B&H now, and the 50-135 is $1599.

jonoslack

That is tempting. Especially with retirement due in 3 months, so only happy snapping to do. Well will keep on line agency work going so I can avoid paying tax out of my pensions. Now the question is What body? Don't want Oly OM-D but perhaps there will be a GH3 deal with this lens. Obviously heavily discounted to pensioners:rolleyes:
David
Hi David
it's bl33ding obvious - you need an OMD - unless you really want to shoot video
it's a duck - it's lovely, and the grip turns it into a
Real Camera​
when you want it to be.

jonoslack

HI Louis
but isn't it the same thing? . . . I think it is . . . except that it's much smaller.
. . . and there are now quite a lot of really good lenses, some of them at reasonable prices.

all the best

jonoslack

Nice...couple this with the upcoming Olympus 75/1.8 and you've got a small, light and very capable travel system.
I quite agree - an excellent combination . . add the 100-300 and you have a complete range from 24 - 600 - all in pretty decent quality.

biglouis

Pentax has really increased the price of their lenses. The 16-50 is $1499 at B&H now, and the 50-135 is $1599.
Still cheap as chips here in the UK - the 16-50 is currently only GBP 625 (USD 1000) at WEX.

HI Louis
but isn't it the same thing? . . . I think it is . . . except that it's much smaller.
. . . and there are now quite a lot of really good lenses, some of them at reasonable prices.

all the best
Not trolling just making the comparison. My dream is a camera that is very small with excellent high iso capabilities just like the monster cameras made by N & C. My GH-2 isn't quite there yet so I'm hoping the GH-3 will be.

LouisB

Well you will have it Japan before we come close to seeing it over here :cussing:
Hi Terry
I sure hope we are not seeing a repeat of the GH2 availability issue when it was announced. It was, in theory, available, but try finding one. This appears to be applicable to the OMD/EM-5 as well.

Paul

paparazzi666

Hmm, it's good news for many folks as zooms just have such wide appeal. I used the 24-70/2.8 on my Canon 5d full frame and never liked the results. Preferred the primes in that range as my style of fotos were based around bokeh. So this lens won't fit in my needs.

Annna T

The sample images I've seen are incredibly sharp and impressive all the way to the edge. Like shots from a prime lens. I better start saving for this and the 35-100mm.

The GH3 announcement should be very interesting.

I don't know whether we are looking at different samples, but I don't really like the samples shown at Dpreview here :
02-Wide-Olympus: dpreview review samples: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

In particular the pictures named 1974939.jpg to 1974942.jpg

I have downloaded these first four pictures and corrected CA, added some more sharpening, but still : I don't like the corners I'm seeing, they are quite blurry. So the center is very sharp, but less so the corners.

After reading the review of the Spanish "DSLR Magazine" and looking at their charts, I was very impressed, especially when confronting these charts with those they have issued concerning the primes, but now that I've seen the Dpreview samples my enthusiasm has sunk.

It is still difficult to judge for several reasons :

1) Most of the shots have been taken at F2.8 while we don't know where they have adjusted focus.
2) Dpreview warned that they only shot with a pre-production sample.
3) All the foliage is blurry, probably indicating a windy day.

Still 1974939.jpg was shot at F4 and 1974942.jpg at F4.5

I don't really like the out of focus areas I'm seeing in picture 1974943.jpg
The leaves are double edged and the brick wall not so good looking. On the portraits they look better however.

I'd like to see more F5.6 and F8 pictures, where you are sure that everything should be/is in focus. The max aperture is good, because it would allow you to use faster shutter speed, but if the lens doesn't deliver good corners, then I'll pass it.

DavidL

Hi David
it's bl33ding obvious - you need an OMD - unless you really want to shoot video
it's a duck - it's lovely, and the grip turns it into a
Real Camera​
when you want it to be.
My work is complete :deadhorse: Jono has said "The grip turns it into a REAL CAMERA" I've always had grips and he hasn't:thumbs:

Still enjoying the Pentax Ltd's, the only reason to use Pentax.
Cheers Dave

CVickery

I had a chance to handle and shoot with a prototype 12-35/2.8 last weekend at a local show. It wasn't my camera/card so I have nothing to show, but the lens was quite impressive. Nice feel, not plasticy, quick focus, quiet, nice size/weight. From what I could see on the LCD the IQ looks fine (need to see more though). It has bumped up to the top of my list.

etrigan63

I am keenly interested in this lens and it future sibling: the 35-100 f/2.8. I sincerely hope that Olympus gets a clue from this and ports their SHG zooms to be native m4/3.

250swb

I took a leap of faith in pre-ordering the E-M5. And I was incredibly happy to see the DPR side by side test examples with other recent camera releases posted just the day before it arrived. Phew! I'm glad I didn't go for the NEX 7 or even the X Pro 1. So I'm not going to look at any sample images from the 12-35mm but I have taken the same leap of faith in pre-ordering it. This is truly where m4/3 gets exciting.

Steve