The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

clark666

So, what should I do with my 4/3s lenses? They work well but focus slowly on the E-M5 and they weigh a lot more.

cjlacz

Did you see the weight? 305 grams! Although heavy for a m43s lens, that's still a third the weight of the 35mm equivalents. That's pretty impressive and the performance seems to be very good. I'm surprised you can stop it down to F8 without any problem and even f11 looks usable.

Terry

Did you see the weight? 305 grams! Although heavy for a m43s lens, that's still a third the weight of the 35mm equivalents. That's pretty impressive and the performance seems to be very good. I'm surprised you can stop it down to F8 without any problem and even f11 looks usable.
Well you will have it Japan before we come close to seeing it over here :cussing:

etrigan63

Hopefully, they'll announce the companion 35-100 f/2.8 soon as well. i could use that for the International Ballet Festival in September.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is great news!

I am also looking forward to the 2.8/35-100 which will be a much more versatile lens for my type of work.

I wonder if Olympus will come with similar fast zooms in that range?

Paratom

My personal comparison between lenses includes the DOF and FOV.
Thus for me a 12-35/2.8 m4/3 lens translates into a 16-50/4.0 dx lens or a 24-70/5.6 ff lens, or a 35-90/8.0 MF lens.
So in one way I still find it exciting and very usefull to get such a lens - on the other side Ithink it is not really comparable with a 24-70/2.8 full frame lens.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thus for me a 12-35/2.8 m4/3 lens translates into a 16-50/4.0 dx lens or a 24-70/5.6 ff lens, or a 35-90/8.0 MF lens.
So in one way I still find it exciting and very usefull to get such a lens - on the other side Ithink it is not really comparable with a 24-70/2.8 full frame lens.
Sure it is not comparable, because it is WAY BETTER! Much smaller, much lighter and OIS (or IBIS in the OMD) makes it a real winner.

Actually I am quite happy with not so narrow DOF in general shooting. And if it really comes to narrow DOF need, well just put my 1.4/50 or 1.4/75 M lens on the OMD and here we go! DOF you only can dream of in FF with 2.8/24-70.

Kudos to m43 and Pana / Oly for getting their stuff together finally!

Paratom

Sure it is not comparable, because it is WAY BETTER! Much smaller, much lighter and OIS (or IBIS in the OMD) makes it a real winner.

Actually I am quite happy with not so narrow DOF in general shooting. And if it really comes to narrow DOF need, well just put my 1.4/50 or 1.4/75 M lens on the OMD and here we go! DOF you only can dream of in FF with 2.8/24-70.

Kudos to m43 and Pana / Oly for getting their stuff together finally!
Peter,
I didnt mean to talk against a 12-35/2.8 m4/3 lens and indeed I find it quite interesting. And of course f2.8 is quite a bit faster than f5.6 of the standard m4/3 kit zooms.
I just meant it doesnt make much sense to compare it to f2.8 24-70/2.8 ff lenses.
I think if I would have to buy a mirrorless today I would choose the OMD.
Tom

Terry

Every lens in m4/3 is going to have the same issue is comparing DOF that you are going to get. What people have been lacking in m4/3's is the ability to stop action in a darker environment without jacking up the ISO. The important primes have already arrived and this is really starting to fill in the missing links.

Going with m4/3 you know you will be 2 stops behind FF. However, I watch my friends on FF also struggle sometimes on landscape with DOF wanting more in focus :p

Paratom

Every lens in m4/3 is going to have the same issue is comparing DOF that you are going to get. What people have been lacking in m4/3's is the ability to stop action in a darker environment without jacking up the ISO. The important primes have already arrived and this is really starting to fill in the missing links.

Going with m4/3 you know you will be 2 stops behind FF. However, I watch my friends on FF also struggle sometimes on landscape with DOF wanting more in focus :p
Yes, both has its place. I even often shoot the same shot twice with different f-stops to compare the effect and to decide later which one I prefer.

The stopping action in darker environment is a factor for sure, specially since the smaller sensors have come close to the larger sensors in regards of noise behaviour.

Godfrey

Looks good!

I'm well out of this market, and it's not my type of lens anyway, but it is vey nice to see this development continue in Micro-FourThirds.

Bravo!

Godfrey

(I've got the Skopar 35/2.5 on the M9 as my carryabout this week ... )

DavidL

That is tempting. Especially with retirement due in 3 months, so only happy snapping to do. Well will keep on line agency work going so I can avoid paying tax out of my pensions. Now the question is What body? Don't want Oly OM-D but perhaps there will be a GH3 deal with this lens. Obviously heavily discounted to pensioners:rolleyes:
David