The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD Spare batteries

smartwombat

Because you have to unscrew the grip to change the battery in the body, I'm using generics in the HLD-6 where they are easier to get at.
And having battery priority on the PBH and the body battery as secondary i hope to avoid issues.
I've also set the battery remaining warning at +1 to trigger the flashing alert at higher voltage.
And crossed my fingers.

Knorp

Hurrah ! I've got hold of a genuine E-M5 spare battery !
Well, I don't have it yet, but I'll pick it up tomorrow.
:toocool:

All the best.

B

brian1208

Hi,

I received a 3-battery set with charger from China. They seem to perform correctly with regard to capacity.

But, they are very difficult to take OUT of the grip ... no problem getting them in, and also no problem in the camera body ...

Anybody else faced this ?

C U
Rafael
I got a couple from the UK supplier ExPro, one was fine the other a tight fit in the grip. On examination I realised this was because of poor moulding tolerances so, the application of a little fine abrasive paper removed the high spots, now it fits as smooth as silk (no more than half a millimetre needed to be removed, it was that close)

D

dcisive

Yeah finally got my extra OMD battery yesterday from Cameraland in NY. I ordered it along with the camera back in late May when I got the camera the following week the battery was MIA. I didn't want to mess with anything reverse engineered thank you. So now I"m all set finally.

jsnack

Finally had to cancel my orders with B&H and J&R. I'm leaving on a month long trip next week so I ended up ordering the generics from bestbatt.com.

Gotta have some backup.

jnewell

Same dilemma here. I ordered a pair from Blue Nook. They seem to take a charge and they fit well into both the camera and the grip. Having a second charger is actually not a bad thing, either...still wish Oly had better supply chain dynamics. :( I guess I should look on the bright side - they didn't recall the batteries that shipped with the cameras! :eek:

GaryAyala

I've been using non-OEM batteries for two weeks now ... no problems whatsoever. I actually see no reason to replace them with Oly batteries.

Gary

sangio

Here are some pics of how I'm using the Olympus OEM charger for the OM-D.

The plug adapter from the iPad? Now that's clever.

I still haven't received my spare OEM battery on order since early June, so I purchased two generics and a charger from BestBatt. They fit the body and the grip quite well and are working ok.

Cheers
Santo

etrigan63

My BestBatt batteries fit in the body, but are tight in the grip. I am going to have to sand them down a little.

UPDATE: A few seconds with some 80 grit and 200 grit sandpaper solved the problem. The BestBatt batteries fit smoothly into the grip now.

Last edited:

jnewell

Here are some pics of how I'm using the Olympus OEM charger for the OM-D.

The plug adapter from the iPad? Now that's clever.

I still haven't received my spare OEM battery on order since early June, so I purchased two generics and a charger from BestBatt. They fit the body and the grip quite well and are working ok.

Cheers
Santo
Yep, I bought a spare from eB@y for a couple of dollars. I should point out that it doesn't fit flush against the wall, so if you had an old/loose socket there would be some risk of having the whole thing disconnect and in any case there is a very small bit of the blades exposed, so if you were leaving this around where small children could reach it I suppose there's a safety risk above and beyond the usual risks associated with children and electrical plugs. :rolleyes: As long as you exercise a small amount of that uncommon common sense, it works brilliantly. ;)

I also purchased a pair of aftermarket batteries and the charger ("Wasabi"). They've been working great for the past two weeks, including a pretty heavy stint at the Olympics. :thumbup:

henningw

As mentioned before, I ordered some third party batteries and am reporting on my experience.

I've just come back from a three week trip, for which I fortunately received my order of 4 batteries and a charger in time. The package seems much like other third party offerings. Mine was from elect_stores on ebay for $37.88 with free shipping included.

Some days I shot 1000 shots, with chimping and leaving the camera on the whole day so I maybe started with a mostly dead battery from the day before, and changed batteries three times during the day maximum. I also had the battery that came with the camera; so five in total. I noticed no difference in the performance of the batteries. State of charge was shown with the 3rd party batteries as well.

I don't have the grip so I can't comment on that application.

I won't pursue getting OE batteries.

Henning