The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

om-d "sound"???

Paratom

Just got an OM-D and it is making this constant sound. A search in the net showed I am not alone.
Question: do you all have it and how loud is it?
My OMD can be heard even if I have my hand far away from my head.
Is this normal? I find it kind of distracting - sounds like a computer vent.
:thumbdown:

Paratom

ok-I found the other thread now.

I hope that my sample is louder than others and will go to the store and see if I can get another OM-D (which is hopefully less noisy). I find it too loud.

kweide

Its sound is normal. It is because Oly uses a magnetic field to realize that amazing IBIS funktion. That makes the sound. Even swiching off IBIS does not kill the sound. The Sensor unit is still in the magnetic field When you switch to FILM mode it is instantanously switched OFF. And yes, one can hear it but in normal operation it will not be recognized...

Keep your E-M5, it is a Killermachine !

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes one can hear IBIS but under normal conditions I do not even notice it and also if it is quiet it does not disturb.

On the other side the OMD is the best camera I had since many many years. It makes me build a m43 system carefully and even adding some selected OM lenses like the 2.8/180 ;)

And IBIS again helps to really improve results with unstabilized lenses - what else you want?

jonoslack

Hi Tom
you'll get used to it, and if it's the trade off for the utterly amazing IBIS, then it's worth it.
all the best

Tesselator

I think it might vary from copy to copy. I plastered my ear all over it with IBIS turned on and couldn't hear a thing.

<shrug>

JMaher

I can easily hear it if I am listening for it. However it disappears (for me) when I am actually shooting.

Jim

Paratom

thanks guys! I will check tomorrow how much sample variation exists.
The demo camera in the store I didnt hear anything, and I clearly hear my omd (however its more quiet compared to the camera store).
I will get over it.
The camera specially with the grip feels very solid in the hand. I like it.
Cheers, Tom

Paratom

just to let you know. The other model in the store had the same sounds. Seems I need to get used to it.
Otherwise the camera sits great in my hand with the grip.

raist3d

Paratom- I would say take the EM5 for a shoot in the situations you expect to shoot with it and see if the sound bothers you in those situations.

- Raist

Brian Mosley

Honestly, I had my first play with the E-M5 last week... I'd forgotten reading about it online, and absolutely didn't notice any sound at all. If only I'd have been focused on listening for it, rather than taking photos. :facesmack:

Must remember to listen carefully next time :)

Cheers

Brian

f6cvalkyrie

My personal feeling is that the sound is more noticeable when I'm using my adapted Manual Focus lenses, then when I'm using the Panasonic native lenses.

Maybe the metal bodies of the adapted lenses influence something ???

But, I'm not disturbed, I am myself too noisy singing the praise of the IBIS in combination with MF lenses :clap::clap:

C U
Rafael