The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

David Pogue on the Panasonic GI

Terry

You are a wonder John.
Incidentally, if anyone doesn't know them, Robert White are splendid:
knowledgeable,pleasant,efficient.

Hi Arne
no filters needed, although the wide angles are going to be pretty boring . . . the longer M lenses sound like more fun (75mm f2 = 150mm f2).
Yes, but the 50 lux could be a yummy portrait lens.

Terry

Well originally the red looked a bit darker and not quite as bright. That was one of the reasons I really wanted to see it at the Photo Expo. I can change the color on my order. I just wanted to have fun with it.

Terry

Mine arrives tomorrow.

Jono - there is hope for me yet. I changed my order from Red to Blue. The initial pictures of the red were darker and kind of cool. More recent photos showed the body as a little too bold and bright.

I am slammed at work until about 8PM so probably won't be able to post anything until quite late and they won't be daylight shots.

Terry

Martin S

Great. please post ur initial impressions with the finder, AF, and general "feel" of the camera.

Glad u changed the color.

Martin

jonoslack

Mine arrives tomorrow.

Jono - there is hope for me yet. I changed my order from Red to Blue. The initial pictures of the red were darker and kind of cool. More recent photos showed the body as a little too bold and bright.

I am slammed at work until about 8PM so probably won't be able to post anything until quite late and they won't be daylight shots.

Terry
How exciting - I'm holding off for a bit . . . not because I don't want one, but because I've just done the upgrade for an M8, and I thought I ought to play with that a bit first!

keep us informed!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
This is why I'm really excited about the G1...

Following images taken from this japanese forum.

I have a collection of 4/3rds converted Hexanon lenses that I'm interested in using, as well as all of my 4/3rds lenses on this camera. I've just ordered the 14-45mm kit lens and a 4/3rds adapter... can't wait to get going with it!

Kind Regards

Brian
I've sent a note to Steve Gandy suggesting that he add these to his product line. The ability to use Leica M lenses on the G1 makes it genuinely interesting to me.

Martin S

I already called Steve Gandy about these adapters last week. He is already looking into them.

They seem to be of high quality, and make make my Leica, Hexanaon lenses live again.

Do you think that the Hexanaon lenses will require slightly different adapters than the Leica lens adapters due to the very slight difference in flange to sensor distance??

Martin

V

Vivek

No. You just lose a tiny bit of the close focus. Infinity will not be at infinity but a tad closer on the focus scale.

Edit: Actually a 0.05mm difference isn't going to affect the focus, especially when done through liveview.

Martin S

Great.

Thanks for the info Vivek. I have the Hexanon 55mm f 1.2 (aka -poor man's Noctilux), and I would love to use it on a digital body.

Also those Leica lenses are just waiting to be used.

Hope that Steve Gandy can get those adapters.

Martin

Brian Mosley

Hi Martin,

I guess you mean the Hexanon 57mm f1.2 - I have two of them, and they are my favourite portrait lenses for 4/3rds.

There isn't actually a converter available for the Hexanon to 4/3rds mount, you just need a spacer. This is the method I use :
Pete Snaar's Hexanon Conversion.

So I'll be simply mounting my converted Hexanons to the G1 using the standard 4/3rds adapter, and a spacer ring I've fitted as per the above.

Hope that helps

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

Brian, I think Martin is referring to the Hexanon-M lens (50/1.2 or even rarer 60/1.2)- they are still quite pricey compared to the Konica 57/1.2.

Interesting link and information (which isn't very obvious) on the Konica mount being exactly the same as the 4/3rds mount!!

I wonder if there is a similar exact match to the micro 4/3rds mount as well?!

Could you post the exact inner/outer diameter (male/female) of the M 4/3 mount?

Martin S

It is the 50 mm f 1.2. I haven't used it in so long that that thought it was 55 mm.

My order from panasonic direct looks like it will ship today.

Hopefully receive it by Wed. or Thurs.

Any more reviews on line???

Martin

Brian Mosley

Hi Vivek,

unless someone creates a native m4/3rds to Hexanon converter, it will be a case of adapting each Hex lens with a spacer ring, and then using the standard 4/3rds to m4/3rds adapter.

Have you registered to join our review team? it would be great to have your impressions added to the discussion :)

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

Hi Brian, Thanks for the invite. Yes, I registered now.

Yes, the camera registries are slightly different and would need a spacer to get infinity focus lined up with the markings on the lens (as far as4/3rds are concerned). If you consider a Konica T mount, for example, there should be no modifications necessary (for the 4/3rds, again).

V

Vivek

How good/bad is manual focusing with the EVF?
Easy, very easy. It is really, really good and I believe (after a few hours of using) that it is really usable!:)

Anyone considering it for M lens use, do not hesitate!:ROTFL: