The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

David Pogue on the Panasonic GI

Martin S

Unfortunately, the 35 mm and 50 mm macros, will not auto focus on the G1. Panasonic released a list of compatible lenses, and whether or not AF is supported.

The AF compatible lenses are the Olympus 25 mm, the Panasonic 14-50 (slow version - not mine!), the 14-150 mm, Olympus 9-18 mm, Leica 25 mm f 1.4, Olympus 14-42 mm, Olympus 40-150 mm.

There is a long list of compatible MF lenses at dpreview.com.

So it appears that only the smaller versions of the Olympus lenses will AF with the G1. I hope that that the focus compatible lens list expands as Panasonic tests other Olympus lenses. Also, Panasonic will be offering their additional lenses in 2009.

I have tried the MF capabilities of the G1, and the enlarged view provided by the EVF makes MF doable even without micro prisms, or split image view.

Will try to shoot some more today, since the rain, ,and clouds have gone.

Martin

Terry

The 35mm macro was listed in the press release as one where the recent firmware update would allow it to AF on the G1. Has that been shown to be wrong.

Martin S

TEBnewyork

Yes. I am afraid so at least according to dpreview.com. You can check that site for info on lens compatibility, and it appears as MF only.

I was kind of hoping too that the 35 mm macro might have been upgraded (via firmware) to AF. Almost bought one!!

Have u been able to use the G1 in addition to ur x country move??

Martin

P.S. After ur move, will u change ur screen name to TEBsf???????

Unfortunately, the 35 mm and 50 mm macros, will not auto focus on the G1. Panasonic released a list of compatible lenses, and whether or not AF is supported.

The AF compatible lenses are the Olympus 25 mm, the Panasonic 14-50 (slow version - not mine!), the 14-150 mm, Olympus 9-18 mm, Leica 25 mm f 1.4, Olympus 14-42 mm, Olympus 40-150 mm.
Too bad... Well, I suppose there will be several new micro-4/3 lenses coming within the next few months. Of course, that Leica 25/1.4 would be something!

On the subject of camera-jpeg´s vs 16-bit tif´s from raw (Silkypix batch), I´ve made some tests, and the tif´s win hands down! Even at ISO 100, there is noticeable smearing in the jpg´s, and when you reach ISO 800 or so, the difference in quality has to be seen to be believed...

So, I´m convinced. I´ll never even set that camera to jpeg again...

simonclivehughes

I'm just starting to shoot with my G1 now and I had a quick look at Silkypix and egads, what an obtuse GUI. Can anyone point me to how one does shadow recovery? I looked through the online help file but still wasn't able to find it. Highlights, yes, shadows, no. I guess I'm going to have to ante up the cash to move from CS3 to CS4 just to get ACR 5.x.

EDIT: Or, am I looking at this incorrectly and the way to do it is to simply convert to 16-bit TIFF and then do the corrections in CS3/ACR?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Martin S

Obtuse is a nice word for unorthodox.

I was happy enough to figure out the crop tool, and development. It works,but seems cumbersome

Also, I couldn't find any way to obtain the image size in inches, or even cm.

I'm afraid that I cannot easily use any features of Silkypix except for the most most basic., and conversion to tiff.

BTW even the conversion -called Development, is somewhat convoluted. U must go to another screen to set the conversion format, and then another screen to set the bit depth.

I'm sure that Silkypix is a powerful program, but for now (and while I am waiting for ACR), I think that I will use it for simple conversion, and pp in PS, or Lightroom on converted tiff images.

Martin

Brian Mosley

As soon as my 4/3rds adapter arrives (I'm talking with Panasonic UK regularly - but the adapter is mysteriously delayed) I will be able to conduct a wide ranging review of 4/3rds and legacy lens useability with the G1.

Until then, we just don't know for sure.

Kind Regards

Brian

scho

As soon as my 4/3rds adapter arrives (I'm talking with Panasonic UK regularly - but the adapter is mysteriously delayed) I will be able to conduct a wide ranging review of 4/3rds and legacy lens useability with the G1.

Until then, we just don't know for sure.

Kind Regards

Brian
Brian, Same problem over here. Last word I had from Panasonic USA was that they hadn't decided yet on pricing and the adapter probably won't be available until sometime next year. I'm not that interested in using my heavy 4/3 lenses on the G1 but rather would like to use my small M mount Zeiss and CV lenses. The adapter for the M lenses should be available next month.

Regards,
Carl

V

Vivek

Carl, You are right about your preferences. As good the 4/3rds lenses might be, this camera cries out for those tiny fast primes! :D

The adapter (Japan or Novoflex) for M when available is a really worthwhile investment (even if pricey). With only 8mm difference between the M 4/3rds and the Leica M mount, it is a difficult one. But, once designed and CNC machined, it will be no problem for those who make it.

Without an adapter, you can just hold the lens on the G1's mount and try a few pics indoors. I have been pleased with what I see so-far. This is really exciting.:)

Brian Mosley

Brian, Same problem over here. Last word I had from Panasonic USA was that they hadn't decided yet on pricing and the adapter probably won't be available until sometime next year. I'm not that interested in using my heavy 4/3 lenses on the G1 but rather would like to use my small M mount Zeiss and CV lenses. The adapter for the M lenses should be available next month.

Regards,
Carl
Hi Carl,

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I'm sure that's not the case - my order was accepted for the 4/3rds adapter and Panasonic UK said delivery would begin late November - I'm trying to get one for our review over the next few days.

Kind Regards

Brian

scho

Hi Carl,

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I'm sure that's not the case - my order was accepted for the 4/3rds adapter and Panasonic UK said delivery would begin late November - I'm trying to get one for our review over the next few days.

Kind Regards

Brian
Brian, Not unusual I guess, but the accessory supply line seems to be lagging the cameras in the USA. I can't even get a spare battery from Panasonic until late December. Hope you get the adapter soon and I'll look forward to your review.

Regards,
Carl

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Stephen Gandy sent me an email to the effect that he expects to have the the Leica M to micro 4/3 adapters in stock in January.

scho

Stephen Gandy sent me an email to the effect that he expects to have the the Leica M to micro 4/3 adapters in stock in January.
Yes, he told me late December so not far off. Did he give you a price for the converter?

Regards,
Carl

Martin S

Nice review of the G1 "kit lens" at SLRgear.com.

First, really complete test of the lens that I have seen.

Some minor niggles, but overall a quite favorable test.

The review suspects that Panasonic might be doing some chromatic aberration, and distortion correction post capture.

Martin

Thanks! Will you have to buy an adapter for each lens to be used like SM? Thanks
Why? There are no finder frames to be keyed in by the proper adapter (and no coding either, afaik).

I´m eagerly awaiting an adapter for M, but even more one for R. Has anyone tried a m4/3 to 4/3 adapter plus a 4/3 to R one on that? A bit clumsy, but if it´s all we get....

V

Vivek

Per, If you are going for an M4/3 to M adapter, get an M to R adapter.

My own M adapter will be ready soon (final touches). I can use Nikon lenses on any M bodies via adapters. I have one 50/2 Summicron-R that I converted to Nikon F mount (works superbly on Nikon DSLRs). When I try that on the G1, I will let you know how that goes.

Brian Mosley

Hello everyone,

my 4/3rds adapter arrived yesterday - and works superbly well with my Hexanon prime lenses - when the M adapter arrives, if you have any of those lovely Leica M lenses then I would strongly recommend you take a look at the G1.

Of course, the Olympus m4/3rds offering will be with us in a few months and may well offer in-body stabilisation, but for now... then G1 is the best option available imho.

The EVF assisted manual focusing is superb.

Kind Regards

Brian