The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

djonesii

Workshop Member
This shot was a true grab shot. Single point AF, in the center.

This was a low light ISO 1600 F2.8 shot with the 45 1.8.

While this may not be a pro sports camera, I'm not a pro sports shooter. The OM-D did every bit as good at documenting the swim season as my D300. The G3 could not do the job.

Dave

Paratom

After having used the OMD a bit more and 1 week vacation with it I would like to respond to the original question:
- I bought the OMD as a flexible, fast, solid walk around camera when I am outside and dont want to carry larger cameras.
So far the OMD has fullfilled that very good. The camera sits good in the hand (I allways use the grip), it feels fast (yes-c-af is not usable but s-af works ver well), and with my new favorite lens (the 14-150 Oly) it is very flexible but stil quite a bit smaller than a DSLR qith equivalent lens.
The IQ is quite good - specially the colors -which is an important point for me.
I own some more lenses now but during our vacation I mostly carried the 14-150 and the 20/1.7 for low light.
There is just one thing that I would like to have - smaller AF-point.
However the "focus on the eye"-setting seems to work quite well.
Conclusion: great, fast little camera and I find the 14-150 to be the near perfect lens for it.

The other camera I brought was a x-pro 1 with 3 lenses - which I also have used and do like a lot during that week.

kuau

Workshop Member
I am just wondering,
If Sony would have came out with more HQ lens for the NEX7, would all the ex NEX7owners have jumped ship to Olympus so quickly?

Knorp

I am just wondering,
If Sony would have came out with more HQ lens for the NEX7, would all the ex NEX7owners have jumped ship to Olympus so quickly?
That's not the point: they just like to jump ship ... :loco:

:grin:

Annna T

(...)
There is just one thing that I would like to have - smaller AF-point.
You can get a smaller target if you want. This is linked to the magnifier. First you have to affect the magnifier to one of the customizable button, or use the multifunction (the magnifier is one of the function you can get with the multifunction).

Then operations are simple :

1) One short pressure of the magnifier button : the target appear and you can adjust its size with the wheel and move it on the screen where you want.
2) A second short pressure and you zoom in the portion of the frame indicated by the target and can check focus etc..
3) One long pressure of the magnifier button and you are back in normal viewing mode (aka any mode you had set with the info button).
4) Two short pressures of the magnifier button would directly zoom in the target.

Note : the position and size of the target will be remembered. Even when you get out of the magnifier mode.

S

sebasco

I have tried LR4.2 and Aperture with the RAW files and frankly cannot match the colors I get from the JPEGs, with G+2, NR off, sharpening -1 (neutral for portraits and vivid for landscapes) and then adding some levels work and local contrast sharpening in Aperture.

This has never happened to me before: I have always found that I could easily improve on the OOC jpeg but frankly not this time.

For those using Aperture or Lightroom, do you have a 'secret sauce' you are using to match the OOC colors from this wonderful camera?

Your thoughts and feedback will be appreciated greatly.

smartwombat

Based on my feeble experiments so far, sports/action photography is an area, maybe the area, where currently available m4/3 cameras just can't replace a good pro or pro-sumer DSLR.
True, my issue is that I can't even lift my Pro DSLR or lens (let alone both together) after my car accident.
So the lightness of the OM-D and the micro 4/3 lenses is essential to me.
Mind you after four days at Goodwood Festival of Speed my right hand hurt for two days. I bet my physio will tell me it was good for me...

f6cvalkyrie

After a while of shooting almost exclusively with the OM-D (I have also a G1, that is undergoing an IR conversion nowadays, and a GH2), these are my thoughts

On the positive side :
- this camera is heaven for users of manual focus, adapted lenses. My 'keepers' ratio has gone up considerably since I'm shooting with the OM-D, especially with 'difficult' lenses like anything with FL > 150mm. The IBIS really works extremely well and is the main reason why I bought this body.
- the ORF files (I shoot RAW exclusively) seem to import to LR4.1 considerably faster than the RW2 files from the GH2. This probably has to do with the filesize and resolution differences between the 2 sensors. Still, when you import pictures from a whole day's shooting, it does make a difference !
- the image quality of the Olympus pics is hardly any different from the GH2 quality, good enough for me
- the grips add to the weight but also to the confort of shooting and carrying the camera

On the "regrets" side :
- I badly miss the fully tiltable screen of the G1/GH2, specially when shooting macro from the frog's perspective
- I'm worried about the lifetime of the E-M5 screen that is exposed to all influences all the time, with no possibility to flip it backwards for protection
- I've needed time to come to peace with the menus and all the parameters one has to set before the camera behaves (like one wants)
- I've updated the firmware without problems lately, but I'm definitely not looking forward to more updates. Too risky to be left with a bricked camera.

So, if Olympus were to propose an E-M6 with a fully tiltable screen and a resolution upgrade (without interfering with the low light quality), then I would definitely be interested !!!

C U,
Rafael

abry

After a while of shooting almost exclusively with the OM-D (I have also a G1, that is undergoing an IR conversion nowadays, and a GH2), these are my thoughts

On the positive side :
- this camera is heaven for users of manual focus, adapted lenses. My 'keepers' ratio has gone up considerably since I'm shooting with the OM-D, especially with 'difficult' lenses like anything with FL > 150mm. The IBIS really works extremely well and is the main reason why I bought this body.
- the ORF files (I shoot RAW exclusively) seem to import to LR4.1 considerably faster than the RW2 files from the GH2. This probably has to do with the filesize and resolution differences between the 2 sensors. Still, when you import pictures from a whole day's shooting, it does make a difference !
- the image quality of the Olympus pics is hardly any different from the GH2 quality, good enough for me
- the grips add to the weight but also to the confort of shooting and carrying the camera

On the "regrets" side :
- I badly miss the fully tiltable screen of the G1/GH2, specially when shooting macro from the frog's perspective
- I'm worried about the lifetime of the E-M5 screen that is exposed to all influences all the time, with no possibility to flip it backwards for protection
- I've needed time to come to peace with the menus and all the parameters one has to set before the camera behaves (like one wants)
- I've updated the firmware without problems lately, but I'm definitely not looking forward to more updates. Too risky to be left with a bricked camera.

So, if Olympus were to propose an E-M6 with a fully tiltable screen and a resolution upgrade (without interfering with the low light quality), then I would definitely be interested !!!

C U,
Rafael
I have seen many of your fine photos with legacy lenses. 2 questions. (1) Compared with the G1, is it any easier to obtain focus using manual focus lenses? (THe G1 as you know is awkward to get magnification and then shakes about due to the level. I assume IBIS helps with the latter. Is that what you were referring to when you referred to heaven?) (2) Do you see much difference in IQ compared with the G1 (which I always felt fell well short of my D200 and D40)?
Thanks
Alan

f6cvalkyrie

(1) Compared with the G1, is it any easier to obtain focus using manual focus lenses? (THe G1 as you know is awkward to get magnification and then shakes about due to the level. I assume IBIS helps with the latter. Is that what you were referring to when you referred to heaven?)

(2) Do you see much difference in IQ compared with the G1 (which I always felt fell well short of my D200 and D40)?
Thanks
Alan
Hi, Alan,

your assumption is correct : the IBIS and specially the "halfpress shutter" stabilise the image in the VF while focusing. This is very much an advantage ! But, you have to input the correct focal length into the IBIS settings. Not a problem with primes, but sometimes a handicap when shooting with MF adapted zooms.

The IQ of the E-M5 is much better than the G1. The sensor is much better at low light levels, and shows a higher resolution. I can't compare to the Nikon bodies you mention, but from what I read, the E-M5 should be +/- equivalent to the mid-range cameras from Nicanon ...

C U,
Rafael

jonoslack

I have seen many of your fine photos with legacy lenses. 2 questions. (1) Compared with the G1, is it any easier to obtain focus using manual focus lenses? (THe G1 as you know is awkward to get magnification and then shakes about due to the level. I assume IBIS helps with the latter. Is that what you were referring to when you referred to heaven?) (2) Do you see much difference in IQ compared with the G1 (which I always felt fell well short of my D200 and D40)?
Thanks
Alan
HI Alan
I can't compare with the G1, but,
I've completely given up with the magnification - the IBIS with the half shutter stabilises the lens so well that you can easily see what's in focus - even shooting my 180mm f2.8 Leica R lens wide open getting good focus is easy (there is a kind of shimmer of extra contrast).

all the best

toobacat

It's disappointing to read about the bricked cameras from Olympus' update procedure. I'm sure it must have happened with Panasonic cameras too, but I don't remember reading about it. It makes me wonder if I should just cancel my long standing pre-order for an OMD and see what Panasonic comes out with next, but I really would like to have the new ibis.

jnewell

It's disappointing to read about the bricked cameras from Olympus' update procedure. I'm sure it must have happened with Panasonic cameras too, but I don't remember reading about it. It makes me wonder if I should just cancel my long standing pre-order for an OMD and see what Panasonic comes out with next, but I really would like to have the new ibis.
It is much less likely with Panasonic cameras because they update from the card. However awkward the Olympus routine is, most people have no trouble with it. I would not avoid the OM-D just because of the firmware update routine.

GaryAyala

I've recently updated two OM-D's, absolutely no problems at all.

If you are seeking a reason to cancel the OM-D, the lack of a viable Continuous Focus mode for action is a good reason, not the updating process.

G

GaryAyala

I consider the Continuous AF of a dSLR to be viable ... well because it works. With a dSLR, I can pretty much instantly lock focus on a moving subject, hold that focus while the subject continues to moves and release the shutter multiple times a second and the focus stays with the subject. That scenario to me works ... the OM-D does none of that happens in C-AF. I could easily live with the slow refresh rate of the EVF if it would lock and hold focus, but it doesn't lock on very quickly or hold focus with moving subjects.

I get better and more consistant results using S-AF and 'pumping' the focus button to re-acquire focus. This is on slow moving, five-year-old soccer. For non-action stuff the OM-D is super, pretty much equal to my FF dSLR's.

Gary

Last edited:

JMaher

Sorry - I read your description incorrectly, as Bart politely pointed out.

I agree - it is definitely not a sports camera but for all other areas I am impressed.

Jim

GaryAyala

As I. I hope the lack of viable AF for action is merely a software/firmware thing and can be enhance through updates.

G