The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D and a telephoto lens

Moonshine

Hi everyone
I'm going on a holiday to Paris soon :) and was thinking of getting the OM-D and a telephoto lens..
I like taking portraits of people as i'm walking about and don't like to get too close which is why i was thinking of a telephoto...

Which telephoto would you recommend that is not too big and bulky and has really good image quality in the m43 system?

I will probably get the pana leica 25mm in time to come but maybe not for this trip as with a 50mm you still have to get close..

please advise!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi everyone
I'm going on a holiday to Paris soon :) and was thinking of getting the OM-D and a telephoto lens..
I like taking portraits of people as i'm walking about and don't like to get too close which is why i was thinking of a telephoto...

Which telephoto would you recommend that is not too big and bulky and has really good image quality in the m43 system?

I will probably get the pana leica 25mm in time to come but maybe not for this trip as with a 50mm you still have to get close..

please advise!
Although I understand "too close", there's really no such thing. I mostly use somewhere between 100 and 150mm eqv. for street portraits, but shorter does it too. The problem with big, western cities is that many people don't like to have their portrait taken by a stranger. However, they don't like it any more if you do it with a long telephoto lens either. I try to respect that (but not always :D ).

If you like to keep a distance, I would go all the way, to the Panasonic 100-300, but my personal preference would be the (still not available) 75mm f/1.8. At the moment, I use the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 on an L1. Works like a charm :thumbs: Another option is the Panasonic 45-175mm. Smaller lens, more discreet. But it's more fun with a prime :)

jlm

Workshop Member
splurged today and picked up the 75-300. had very minimal time with it, but is looking like a winner

jonoslack

how is the oly 14-150mm?
Hi There
I really like it - I'm sure some can criticise it's sharpness at the long end, but it seems good to me - added to which it's small and light, focuses very fast, and is nicely flexible with the 14mm wide end.

it sneaks onto my camera more than I might like to admit!

Here are a couple of shots taken from my hotel bedroom in Holland:

You need to stop down a little to get the best out of the corners at wide angle.

Definitely good though.

jonoslack

its looks great ^^^
do you use it with an omd?
do you like its bokeh?
Hi
yes - those were taken with an OMD
Obviously it's fairly slow, but as you can see in the top shot the bokeh is quite good.
Remember - this is a ten times zoom . . . and miracles don't happen!
But I find it very useful, and I've got plenty of good images from it.

n.b. the corners aren't great at the telephoto end either - but this so rarely seems to be of significance (unless you are an inveterate brick wall shooter).

I think that Jorgen is right - shooting primes is better - but sometimes getting the shot is the important thing, and this lens will certainly help with that.

all the best

djonesii

Workshop Member
To the OP .....

Everyone has an opinion about how to shoot street, many ideas out there on he web ....

MY personal preference is 28mm FF equivalent, or 14mm, that is followed by the 35mm FF equivalent. So, for me, the 9-18 is the perfect street lens on a m-4/3 body.

and here for the full set

London Street

I personally have never cared for the paparazzi approach. That said, there is nothing bad or better about the method, nothing but preference.

Dave

Terry

I didn't take the Panny 14-140 on my recent trip and I really missed the gap between 50 and 100 (12-50 +100-300).