The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX1 plus 14mm pancake prime

HansenTsang

Hello all,

How does the GX1 with a 14mm pancake prime fare in image quality?

I shoot aerial photography. I am using a Sony NEX 5N with the 16mm pancake right now. The 5N is a great little camera but the 16mm although good in the center has some image quality issue on the edges.

I have also used the Voigtlander 15mm screw mount and it is not bad but I am looking for a tad better. The Voigtlander is a bit heavier at 166 grams.

So I started hunting around and one combination may work for me is the GX1. I already have the 14mm pancake. The reasons are that the GX1 has a remote trigger option, is fairly light weight at 272 grams for the body and battery. It also suppose to have a pretty decent image quality.

I have a GH2 also and I use it with the 14mm pancake and I like the image quality. The only issue is that the GH2 body is a bit heavy. So I only use it for video shoots only.

My question is that if the GX 1 really does have a good image quality, especially with the 14mm pancake.

Also being a µ 4/3 I have a few adapters to put on different lenses from different brands.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Millsart

I'm sure if your happy with the GH2 using the 14mm then you'll be equally happy (if not maybe slightly more so) with the GX1

V

Vivek

You are asking about the video quality? It is highly unlikely that the GX1 is better than the GH-2.

You could consider shedding a few things on the C-V 15/4.5 to reduce the weight and also look for a light weight adapter.

HansenTsang

>>You are asking about the video quality? It is highly unlikely that the GX1 is better than the GH-2.<<

No I am asking about the still image quality. I like the video quality on the GH2.

>>You could consider shedding a few things on the C-V 15/4.5 to reduce the weight and also look for a light weight adapter.<<

I have a fairly light adapter and I can cut more meat if necessary. However that will not reduce the weight significantly because the lens itself has a lot of metal in the construction. It is a good thing for built quality but not so much when I am weight conscious.

Oh also I have used the Panasonic 14mm pancake on the NEX but the image circle is smaller and I get vignetting with the lens.