The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

F0.95 really worth it?

R

rantanplan

I can't speak for the Fujinon but as for the Schneider It sure ain't no toy believe me.

[
Hello ReeRay

I just registered to this forum to ask you a few question...

There are very few information and samples from this lens on the interent.

I'd like to buy one for filming video with my GH2.
Do you have any experience concerning 16:9 mode and vignetting?

I'm also wondering if one could fine down the filter thread a little bit to get less vignetting... Or do you know where the vignetting actually comes from?

Cheers,
Till

Annna T

In a different forum someone point out that the 17.5 is massively heavy and not very much well suited for extended hand held work...which happens to be my thing.
FOV wise there is no doubt that my favorite is 35mm. If the Olympus 17mm was at least f1.8 I would have no doubts at all.
Olympus offers a 18mm F2.8 pancake since they introduced the E-P1 in 2009. It is not a very good lens. But don't confuse it with the recently announced 17mm F1.8 which should be issued in a few months : it will be a lens of the same kind as the 12mm F2, with the same smart trick for MF and with distance scales.

I'd wait for that lens : the 17mm F0.95 Voigtländer is has not received a raving review from Admiring Light : it is even heavier and bigger than the 25mm F0.95 and not as sharp. (fast wide lenses are more difficult to make).
Personnally I think that at such wide aperture MF is too difficult to get right. I like MF when I can use zone focusing. But with shallow DOF and or the need to work quickly I prefer AF (but then, I can't trust my eyes anymore).

Look here for a review : Review: Voigtländer Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 @ Admiring Light

ReeRay

I can't comment on filing down the filter thread but I can assure you that at 16:9 there is no vignetting.

Hope this helps

Ray

Hello ReeRay

I just registered to this forum to ask you a few question...

There are very few information and samples from this lens on the interent.

I'd like to buy one for filming video with my GH2.
Do you have any experience concerning 16:9 mode and vignetting?

I'm also wondering if one could fine down the filter thread a little bit to get less vignetting... Or do you know where the vignetting actually comes from?

Cheers,
Till

V

Vivek

The only compact 0.95 lens that does not have any vignetting on the m4/3rds that I know of is the SOM Berthiot 25/0.95.

Do not attempt to file down filter threads on any c-mount fast lenses with the hope that there will be less vignetting!

R

rantanplan

Do not attempt to file down filter threads on any c-mount fast lenses with the hope that there will be less vignetting!
Is this a dogma thing or did you try it? ;)

Vignetting gets more focused when the aperture is near closed, so i guess its not a question of the lens size... what we actually see in the corners is part of the housing e.g. the filter thread.

Cheers,
Till

V

Vivek

You are assuming/hoping that the lens would offer more illumination. By all means try it and find out for yourself if my suggestion (especially when dealing with c-mount lenses in the 25mm FL region) is correct or not.

May be you will learn something from your experiment. ;)

R

rantanplan

I could easily check this before i "destroy" the lens:

Putting a light source (FT framed) in place of the chip behind the lens and then see if the beam touches the thread...

Did you do any experiments or you just "know"? Please share your experiences...

kai.e.g.

I'd wait for that lens : the 17mm F0.95 Voigtländer is has not received a raving review from Admiring Light : it is even heavier and bigger than the 25mm F0.95 and not as sharp. (fast wide lenses are more difficult to make). Look here for a review : Review: Voigtländer Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 @ Admiring Light
That's strange, I just read that review and came away thinking that, yes, this was a "raving review". It is peppered throughout with superlatives, and ends with the words "very highly recommended". I suppose there might be an "extremely highly recommended" category, too, but either way sounds pretty good to me ;-)

V

Vivek

I could easily check this before i "destroy" the lens:

Putting a light source (FT framed) in place of the chip behind the lens and then see if the beam touches the thread...

Did you do any experiments or you just "know"? Please share your experiences...
I might have posted on this a few years ago here...search.