The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

rumour of 2 new Oly lenses at Photokina

RichA

pgmj

The 50mm EVOF space is getting crowded now... a relatively compact 65mm f/2.5 macro (1:2 is enough, imho) would be a welcome addition. I guess a low priced 25/1.8 does make sense, though, since the 20/1.7, 25/1.4 and 25/.95 are rather pricy compared to CaNikon 50mm lenses.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
A 2.8-4/12-60 m43 would be one of my favorite lenses if they can make it small enough.

Peter

jonoslack

A 2.8-4/12-60 m43 would be one of my favorite lenses if they can make it small enough.

Peter
Are they really sure many want a f2.8-f4.0 12-60mm lens? It's liable to cost over $1200.00 if it matches the optical quality of the current 12-60mm on 4/3rds cameras and unless they do some really fancy design work, it might be almost as large as the 4/3rds unit. Maybe sacrificing a stop (f4.0-f5.6) might produce a more manageable lens, both in-terms of price and size?
HI Rich - Peter
Making it slower and smaller just turns it into the existing 12-50 kit lens doesn't it? Which is fantastically useful, but not as good IQ as the 12-60.

Like Peter, I'd love such a lens, and don't see why it shouldn't be the same sort of size as the Panasonic 12-35, which would be fab!

all the best

RichA

HI Rich - Peter
Making it slower and smaller just turns it into the existing 12-50 kit lens doesn't it? Which is fantastically useful, but not as good IQ as the 12-60.

Like Peter, I'd love such a lens, and don't see why it shouldn't be the same sort of size as the Panasonic 12-35, which would be fab!

all the best
That's another question. If the Panasonic 14-45mm matches or beats such a lens, I'd easily give up the cost and speed of the 12-60mm and the extra 2mm and keep the Panasonic. Reason I mention it is that I took a shot through the 12-60mm with the E-M5 and it was somewhat soft wide open. But I can't pronounce any real verdict on it because I didn't use it enough.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That's another question. If the Panasonic 14-45mm matches or beats such a lens, I'd easily give up the cost and speed of the 12-60mm and the extra 2mm and keep the Panasonic. Reason I mention it is that I took a shot through the 12-60mm with the E-M5 and it was somewhat soft wide open. But I can't pronounce any real verdict on it because I didn't use it enough.
I never used the 12-60 on any m43 body, but I used it on the E5 and this was one of the best and sharpest lenses over the complete range (zoom as well as aperture) I ever shot.

So I would really love to see a m43 version and also would be willing to pay more money for it.

JMaher

I have never used the 12-60 on a m 4/3 but on my old E-3 it was just a fantastic lens. Maybe the best zoom of its type I have used.

Jim

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have had both Panasonic 14-45 and Olympus 12-60. While Panasonic zoom is a good lens, it is not as good as the Olympus. The extra range of the Olympus zoom in both wide and tele ends are very desirable. I fully agree with Jim that 12-60 is one of the best zoom lenses.

CPWarner

I would prefer an Olympus 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 over the Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 simply to have the greater range in one lens. I loved my former Canon 24-105mm L f4.0 which had great range for a single lens. I may wait on the Panasonic 12-35 to see if this is real before spending the cash on the Panasonic.

pgmj

I would prefer an Olympus 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 over the Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 simply to have the greater range in one lens. I loved my former Canon 24-105mm L f4.0 which had great range for a single lens. I may wait on the Panasonic 12-35 to see if this is real before spending the cash on the Panasonic.
I agree. The Nikkor 24-120/4 VR has mediocre image quality, but the range is very useful. A 12-60/4 from Oly, with similar quality to the 4/3 lens would be excellent if small/light enough.