The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OMD

S

sebasco

I am trying out an Olympus OMD and am having an issue whose resolution I do not find in the manual.

Knowing that many of you use this camera all the time, I am sure you have figured this out.

After I take a photo, the screen goes blank for about a second. This does not happen with my Fuji x100. I would prefer it just went back immediately to being ready to take the next photo, like the Fuji. Can you tell me how I do that?

I am using a Promaster class 10 sdhc professional card.

Thx for your assistance.

Ed

S

sebasco

Hi Terry,

Thx for responding so quickly.

I have it on .3 seconds, but it takes about a second for it to show up; it does not show up instantaneously.

I asked the question as it slows down the process and i really can't take more than one photo for a decisive moment image.

Ed

S

sebasco

Another question I have concerns turning the camera off or keeping it on sleep mode. I would rather have it on sleep mode and ready to go but it appears to me that when the camera is on sleep mode, it is still on and using the battery.

Anyone know?

Also, is there any advantage to setting the EVF refresh rate to high instead of normal?

Thx to all for all your help.

Ed

S

sebasco

Thanks Kit & Terry,

That was my thought on the high refresh rate.

Any response to my other two questions:

1) any way to not have the evf black out for about a second after each photo taken?

2) is camera still on while on sleep mode and thus draining battery?

Ed

S

sebasco

Okay Terry, I just figured out what you were saying! I turned the image review off and it works much faster!

Thx much!

Okay folks, any opinions on whether to tun the camera off v leaving it on sleep mode and battery usage?

marlof

I turn it off, since the eye sensor of the EVF sometimes prevents the camera to go to sleep.

GaryAyala

I believe the "High" in the EVF refresh refers to hertz not resolution. The EVF will refresh faster when set to "High" rather than normal. You will lose some resolution with the refresh set to "High".

G

250swb

When out for a day with my camera I just switch it on and leave it on. Not noticed it running out of power yet. It's got to be an easy thing to test for youself hasn't it?

Steve

S

sebasco

It is easy enough to check but since I have only 1 battery and they are impossible to get a hold of in the USA, I have figured why risk it, just ask first.

Thx for all your help.

les

I suspect most of us just have one battery, if your scared of running it down you'll never get to know a fraction of what the camera can do. Explore the options, customize the settings - if you exhaust the battery, recharge and continue.

jonoslack

I suspect most of us just have one battery, if your scared of running it down you'll never get to know a fraction of what the camera can do. Explore the options, customize the settings - if you exhaust the battery, recharge and continue.
Hi Les
I've only got one battery too . . . I wanted to use it for a charity do last weekend (link in signature) . . . . so I took backup, shot a little with the M9, and otherwise just went for it (expecting 200 shots or so).

. . . . I got 637 shots on my CF card - all with review on, but no video, and moderate chimping . . . . . the battery said 2/3 full.

all the best

RichA

I believe the "High" in the EVF refresh refers to hertz not resolution. The EVF will refresh faster when set to "High" rather than normal. You will lose some resolution with the refresh set to "High".

G
Yes, the refresh rate has nothing to do with image preview, it has to do with the scan rate of the image by the sensor to the EVF. The higher rate allows you to nearly eliminate the colour blurring that happens (for example) on other cameras when you move the camera while looking at the EVF.

smartwombat

Yes, switching off will make the battery last longer.
As will setting the EVF to auto-switching and then turning off the LCD.
Watch out for the camera keeping itself switched on by detecting your white shirt (for example) and turning on the EVF.
Either keep the lens pointed down, or just switch off when not in use if you have no more batteries.

Even managing the power myself the battery life is not good enough for me compared to a pro camera.
I'm used to going all day (1000+ images) on one battery with the 1DmkII bodies.
Not swapping the battery in the PBH 3 times and then limping on the battery in the body dreading it dying altogether.