The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8

Terry

If I had a m4/3 / M adapter I could try it with my 24 'lux . . . but I don't :D

Whatever - it's a lovely evening here (most unusual with a new lens) here are a couple of snaps:
Enjoy the weekend.....about 6 more hours to go across the pond and then a few thousand more miles west.

jonoslack

Enjoy the weekend.....about 6 more hours to go across the pond and then a few thousand more miles west.
You too
Long distance riding tomorrow (well, not THAT long, but I'll have a sore bum). Sunday is work I'm afraid (boo) but it's supposed to rain anyway.

250swb

Yes but it sounded like you were going to use that lens on m4/3 instead of the 25mm and then it clearly wasn't apples to apples. Of course the 50 is going to give you more control of DOF than the 25.
:) I didn't make it clear first time around Terry, so I take your point.

But the area of what might be called 'overlap' does exist in comparing the 12-35 with the PL 25mm regarding shallow DOF. It can't have the shallow DOF of the PL at f/1.4 but take two strides back from the subject and zoom from 25mm to 35mm and at f/2.8 there is a very narrow band of DOF. There are not many times when two strides becomes a hindrance. And as a by-product the aperture of f/2.8 is better corrected and sharper.

Steve

biglouis

These results look very good. I'm with others about not being sure if this a necessary purchase given that I already own the 25/14 and 45/2.8

I'd really like to see some 'event' type shots inside. That is where this lens could be very useful indeed - I have had great results with the above two lenses inside but I admit the convenience of an 'all-in-one' with a reasonably fast aperture of 2.8 would be good.

LouisB

sangio

You too
Long distance riding tomorrow (well, not THAT long, but I'll have a sore bum). Sunday is work I'm afraid (boo) but it's supposed to rain anyway.
But, as you've proven, the rain produces some beautiful green landscapes. We're suffering through a drought and heat wave here in central Canada, 35C yesterday.

I really hope that 12-35 turns out OK for you.

Cheers
Santo

jonoslack

HI Santo - well, it pi55ed down just before we started the ride - but we had a great time,

Here are a few shots from today:

Saul's back for the weekend:

ISO 3200

Braeside

Apart from the odd noises, what's not to like about that Lens Jono? How would you say it compares to say the Sony Zeiss 24-70/2.8?

Jonas

(...) And as a by-product the aperture of f/2.8 is better corrected and sharper.
Interesting. Steve, are there direct comparisons somewhere showing how the zoom at 35mm f/2.8 is better than the 25/1.4 wide open?

sangio

HI Santo - well, it pi55ed down just before we started the ride - but we had a great time,
I just looked at your posted images on my 24" monitor, (I was using the Ipad earlier), and I'm even more impressed. So now I'm thinking.... what's a little chatter if you can get this kind of IQ?

cheers...
Santo

250swb

Bakewell Carnival 07-07-12. Very wet and humid. Both the E-M5 and the 12-35mm eventually fogged up when the hot sun came out and the rain stopped, but were both fine in the cooler air and the heavy rain.

Steve

250swb

Interesting. Steve, are there direct comparisons somewhere showing how the zoom at 35mm f/2.8 is better than the 25/1.4 wide open?
No, but I can see it, and logic dictates it. There isn't a fast lens in existence that is sharper wide open than stopped down a bit. Anyway, its not a pissing contest about two fine lenses is it?

Steve

jonoslack

Apart from the odd noises, what's not to like about that Lens Jono? How would you say it compares to say the Sony Zeiss 24-70/2.8?
Hi David
Apart from the odd noises - nothing - obviously the smaller sensor means that the depth of field is bigger . . .but that's one of the reasons why I have m4/3; if I want narrow depth of field then I'll use full frame.

As far as the image quality is concerned, first feelings are that it's right up there - nice presence, good colour, very sharp (even wide open), better bokeh. Possibly the corners aren't quite as good at 24mm equivalent.

Sony/Zeiss: 955gms £1400
panasonic: 350gms £900

Jonas

No, but I can see it, and logic dictates it. There isn't a fast lens in existence that is sharper wide open than stopped down a bit. Anyway, its not a pissing contest about two fine lenses is it?

Steve
I certainly hope it isn't.
I know my PLµ 25/1.4 very well while I haven't even seen a Panasonic 12-35/2.8. From the samples I've seen the zoom looks like a good performer. But that is about these web sized samples and most lenses look good...

I'm not sure logic says a zoom is better at f/2.8 that a good prime at f/1.4. Logic tells me most lenses are equal at f/4-f/5.6 just as the FF lenses all perform very similar at f/8-f/11 when used with a FF camera.

Anyway, I found the technical reviews of these lenses at SLRGear and no doubt the 12-35mm zoom is excellent. Unfortunately they were reviewed using different cameras so the extreme peeper in me isn't totally satisfied. Common sense however tells me the zoom will do fine for my needs.

Looking through the posts in this thread make me wonder if I should save up for the Zuiko M 75mm or the Panasonic 12-35 zoom first. The 75mm is tempting as well.

regards,

/Jonas

Braeside

Hi David
Apart from the odd noises - nothing - obviously the smaller sensor means that the depth of field is bigger . . .but that's one of the reasons why I have m4/3; if I want narrow depth of field then I'll use full frame.

As far as the image quality is concerned, first feelings are that it's right up there - nice presence, good colour, very sharp (even wide open), better bokeh. Possibly the corners aren't quite as good at 24mm equivalent.

Sony/Zeiss: 955gms £1400
panasonic: 350gms £900
Thanks Jono, excellent news. I think I may possible look at this rather than the 12mm and 20 or 25mm I was thinking about. F2.8 would do me fine with the high ISO and IBIS. Not worried about extended DOF as I have other lenses for less DOF on APS-C if I need it.

Oh - thanks also for the skinny dipping tutorial, sounds like fun! :eek:

pophoto

I think this is the sort of lens where it's one camera and one lens vacation. I don't think you need any primes unless you wanted faster apertures. Sadly no vacations for me for a long while, and when my second kid pops out from the oven, it may well have to be this lens!

jonoslack

Really like this one Jono. And great processing. Love the inky blacks. Silver Efex or just LR/Aperture?

Mike
Thanks Mike.
Just Aperture . . . . I'm not sure it would be so easy with LR . . . You'll have to excuse me, I'm a DAM racist!:ROTFL:

Rich M

I spent the last fews days getting used to this as my walk around. Other than the Panny 7-14, I never liked any of the m/43 zooms.....they were okay, but nothing special. I have to say I am pleased with this lens so far. The f/2.8 is really killer.

R