The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus lens on Panasonic body?

HansenTsang

Hello,

I have a silly question and I can't seem to find the answer. Can an Olympus micro 4/3 lens like the Zuiko 12mm f2.0 auto focus on a Panasonic body such as the GH2 or GX1?

Thanks very much in advance.

Hello,

I have a silly question and I can't seem to find the answer. Can an Olympus micro 4/3 lens like the Zuiko 12mm f2.0 auto focus on a Panasonic body such as the GH2 or GX1?

Short answer: Yes
For further details on compatibility of any m4/3 or 4/3 lens on Panasonic bodies you can visit this page (it is for GX1 but there are similar pages for any Panasonic body).

Compatibilities of DMC-GX1 | Compatibility | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

Knorp

Hello,

Well, my 12/2.0 seems to work fine on my G3.
The only drawback I can see is that you have no IS, because - brilliantly - both manufactures decided for different implementations.
Panasonic has IS implemented in the lenses and Olympus in the cameras ... :loco:

All the best.

For the sake of completeness, using an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body you will loose also the automatic correction of chromatic aberration, which is available with Panasonic body/Panasonic lens combo's only ( and only with selected Raw Converters).

HansenTsang

Thank you very much for the help. I am not very concern with the IS feature. I plan to use it in aerial photography. I shoot mostly RAW and I am not sure if there is any automatic correction of chromatic aberration. I think it will work for me. Thanks again.

With your planned body/lens combo (Panasonic body/Olympus lens) there is no automatic correction of chromatic aberration because the relevant metadata instructions are not available in the raw file so there is no SW which can elaborate them.
On the contrary the automatic correction of distortion (metadata based) is available for any combination of Olympus and Panasonic body and lens.
The automatic corrections are only applied if your raw converter is capable to use the relevant instructions.

Annna T

With your planned body/lens combo (Panasonic body/Olympus lens) there is no automatic correction of chromatic aberration because the relevant metadata instructions are not available in the raw file so there is no SW which can elaborate them.
On the contrary the automatic correction of distortion (metadata based) is available for any combination of Olympus and Panasonic body and lens.
The automatic corrections are only applied if your raw converter is capable to use the relevant instructions.
I'd add that if you are using a raw converter like LR it is easy to correct chromatic aberration in post-processing. It is even easier with LR4.1 or ACR7 than it used to be and it is very effective. So unless you are shooting jpegs and don't want to do any postprocessing, this is really not an issue.

I'd add that if you are using a raw converter like LR it is easy to correct chromatic aberration in post-processing. It is even easier with LR4.1 or ACR7 than it used to be and it is very effective. So unless you are shooting jpegs and don't want to do any postprocessing, this is really not an issue.
Well that leaves me with a dilemma. I have recently purchased an Olympus lens for my Panasonic G2 and I am currently shooting JPEGS. Is there anything that I can do within the JPEG processing workflow that will compensate for chromatic aberration?