The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The G1 has arrived....

Terry

Maybe I will give it a whirl. Interesting on the G1 the menus are not quite as simple as some of my other Panny's and there is a lot of stuff embedded in to be able to shoot automatic (unlike the D700 and M8) which doesn't necessarily get in the way but I think makes it a bit more complicated for the purist. I know I'm not articulating this very well but my feeling is that you need to be a bit more careful on settings to make sure there aren't other built in consequences to protect yourself from yourself :confused: :D

Joan

I think I know exactly what you mean, Terry. The G10 has so many options to the options to the options ... I really can't figure out who really needs all this stuff. :confused: :bugeyes:

The jpegs look pretty darned good with the settings you're using IMO. Very nice detail in the foliage shot. Really looking forward to seeing more, thanks for sharing with us!

jonoslack

HI Terry and Brian
Great start - I agree with Amin about the bokeh - it looks a little gritty on both of your test shots . . . . on the other hand, perhaps that isn't the main point of the kit lens!

Does it feel nicely made?
What's the viewfinder lag like?

How Jealous am I?

What's worse, my updated M8 was ready in Solms on Wednesday, just in time for us to go down to Cornwall for a few days tomorrow . . . so they sent it to a dealer in Germany by mistake :( So I'm even more jealous!

Terry

It feels very good in the hand. I am not sure yet that I have all of my settings correct. The viewfinder looks very natural unlike any EVF I have ever seen. However, when you take the picture the screen freezes for an instant which is sort of a shock to my system only because it is different than the constant view of the M8 or the short blackout of a dslr.
I haven't take a lot of pictures of fast moving stuff so I don't have a good grasp of the lag yet. I'm going to take it with me this weekend to San Francisco and actually read the manual on the plane tomorrow. So, perhaps I will have some more shots tomorrow night.

Terry

I think I know exactly what you mean, Terry. The G10 has so many options to the options to the options ... I really can't figure out who really needs all this stuff. :confused: :bugeyes:

The jpegs look pretty darned good with the settings you're using IMO. Very nice detail in the foliage shot. Really looking forward to seeing more, thanks for sharing with us!
Hah, that's what I thought about the G7 and they've had two more models to muck it up some more.

Well I had to take out my usual export sharpening from Lightroom because the first time I went to upload the shots it was a yikes that is too much sharpening.

A

asabet

I know I looked at that one as well and I'm not sure if it has something to do with the sharpening I had going on the jpegs. Here was a bokeh test last night.
That one looks good to me :thumbup:. Overall, color me jealous as well :p.

Hey Terry, it was nice meeting you last weekend at PhotoPlus. I'm glad you got the G1 and can be our guinea pig. I look forward to more test shots.

Best wishes on your new assignment in San Fran.

Mark

pollobarca

Terry, Brian,
thanks for loading your pictures. My word Olympus will have to go some to compete with this! Brian-the varnished wood on the benches looks just right, as does the rest.Terry the JPGS look good. The autumn leaves and the pink hair are marvellous.

rgds

paul

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry,
I can't believe you are being such a sport and posting photos for us when you are in the midst of a move from one coast to another. Good luck on your move.
I am really excited about this concept and can't wait for more feedback from you and Brian.

V

Vivek

While thanking Terry and Brian for sharing their initial images, I would not call the noise, DR and all that "impressive".

It is in line with the pixel density of the sensor and isn't surprising.

Pricewise, the Sony A-350 is a lot impressive.

Brian Mosley

Hi Vivek,

I haven't any experience with the A350 - are you saying that it's much better value for money?

From what I'm seeing of the G1's sensor performance, I'd say that it's a good incremental step forward for the 4/3rds standard sensor... which is of most interest to me because I love the consistent high quality of 4/3rds lenses.

I'll be demonstrating that as soon as my 4/3rds adapter arrives - and also looking forward to mounting classic legacy lenses to it.

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

While thanking Terry and Brian for sharing their initial images, I would not call the noise, DR and all that "impressive".

It is in line with the pixel density of the sensor and isn't surprising.

Pricewise, the Sony A-350 is a lot impressive.
Perhaps but you will be shocked at thesize and I threw it in my SMALL handbag for the day.

Brian Mosley

Hi Terry,

I think your side by side shot with the M8 was most instructive (did you get my e-mail asking for you to share this in our ongoing review?)... I think I saw an M8 review on Sean Reid's review site where a grip had been fitted - I imagine this would make the M8 look even more similar in size and shape.

And that Panasonic managed to include a wonderful articulating screen is quite an achievement imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

N

nei1

I wouldnt throw money at this,it might put the fire out.It seems to be nothing more than a stepping stone.___________ Im sure its fun to be the first to have one but I can see the novelty wearing off quickly.

V

Vivek

Brian and Terry,

Yes this is a revolutionary camera. No doubt about it (and I will be getting one as soon as I can figure out where I can get one).

Aside from the size (frankly the Olympus prototype is more to my taste), the articulating live view finder and the lack of mirror are definitely advantages.

This would allow for (in principle) low shutter speeds while the camera is hand held (advantage of an M camera). However, I do have my doubts about that since the pixel density is quite high and would demand stable support to get all the sharpness that the sensor is capable of recording.

It is still early (IMHO) to celebrate low noise, high DR and such out of this camera.

V

Vivek

I would explore the "unobtrusive" size (plus the live view) on the street to check how "effective" it is.

BTW, what is the close focus distance of the kit zoom? There is very little info on the lens (that I know). Thanks.