The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The G1 has arrived....

Joan

ooooooohhhh .... aaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!! The blue looks NICE! :clap:

Hurry up and get that battery charged! ;)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry,
How is the weight in your hand compared to the M8 and 28 cron?
Thank you for the shots with the M8...that helps to get a feel for the size.

Terry

Terry,
How is the weight in your hand compared to the M8 and 28 cron?
Thank you for the shots with the M8...that helps to get a feel for the size.
Feels a lot lighter...
G1 + lens and battery = 630g
M8 + battery 600g + 28 cron 272g

Has anyone looked at the respective flange-sensor registration distances and bayonet diameters to study on sticking an M lens on this camera? No mirror box and a good sensor, seems like you're halfway to having another nifty M-mount option.

jonoslack

Hey Terry
You've made it look really nice - much better than the product shots I've seen. Does it feel well made? Is the EVF really as good as people say? How is the focusing?
Lots of questions!

Martin S

Terry

So how is the EVF, and AF??

We are all breathless (at least some of us)!!

BTW - Biue looks cool.

Please hurry up, and charge the battery.

Martin

Terry

OK,
The battery finished charging just after midnight. Observations. It is easy to MANUALLY focus through the EVF and it is well implemented. In MF as soon as you move the focus ring you have a magnified view in the finder and it was bright enough with regular indoor lighting to focus about 15 feet across the room. I am not sure what will happen when you put a Leica lens on the camera as I don't know how the camera would know you've moved the focus ring to enlarge the section of the screen.

On AF the camera always locked in and it was faster than what I would have gotten with ANY small sensor CDAF system.

It is fun to have the histogram in the viewfinder again (I've had other EVF cameras).

The flash gave well exposed exposures again across the room.

It is just starting to get light here and I am going to hop in the shower and try and get out and shoot for a few minutes before work so I can tell you how it works in daylight and post some pics.

V

Vivek

Nice, Terry. :)

Seems to me the 28 Summicron will be longer (and heavier) than the kit zoom on the G1 with the adapter!

Terry

I am not going to get out shoot and get back to post before work. Today is my last day in the NY office before moving to San Francisco and I have a client coming in at 9:30. But I will try and play hooky a bit later in the afternoon. On Halloween one of the blocks near me closes down and the people who live there all go outside to give candy to the little kids. It should be a fun spot for some shots later today. So, much more then. Sorry, getting my act together to move 3,000 miles and trying to work on both east and west coast time doesn't leave a lot of spare moments.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That little camera looks really nifty!.
Will you be on the left Coast on Nov 11 ish?
-bob

Martin S

Thanks for the preliminary observations. Hope to see ur outdoor images later today.

Good luck on the move to S.F.

Although it is a great place to live, how will you get along without B&H??

Internet, or phone orders aren't the same as being in that crazy place.

BTW I like the blue, and may order mine in that color also (getting tired of black cameras).

Martin