The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D firmware update 1.2

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yup. No problems, except the usual infernal UI. So I should say, No NEW problems. :ROTFL:

--Matt

jnewell

It's not the "copy it on to a formatted SD card" routine?

R
No, it has to be done via cable connected to a computer. Make sure the computer is a stable internet connection and is otherwise in stable operating condition. If there is a crash, you will likely brick the camera. :eek: :scry:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Make sure you use the Oly-supplied cable or you will ruin the connector in the camera!

That is not fun. One of the few severe Mac crashes I ever had were from Olympus firmware update (many years ago). Probably much better now but still not up to normal standards.

Rich M

>Make sure you use the Oly-supplied cable or you will ruin the connector in the camera!

That is not fun. One of the few severe Mac crashes I ever had were from Olympus firmware update (many years ago). Probably much better now but still not up to normal standards.
I'll pass......

R

I also dislike to connect the camera to the computer for the FW update, but with Olympus there are no other choices.
I have anyhow always diligently updated all my Olympus cameras and lenses E3, Ep2,Ep3,E5 and now OM-D, mostly on Mac's, and I never had a single problem.

Diane B

I'll pass......

R
It appears it corrects the issue some are having with lockups from sleep with the 20/1.7 and some say other Panny lenses. I'm going to try out an EM5 tomorrow and though I don't use my 20 too often in deference to my 25 LOL--I'll still going to see how my 20 works on the EM5 if I buy it. So---I may find the need to upgrade.

Knorp

Really, updating the E-M5 is a piece of cake, even I could do it :toocool:
Just make sure you took proper anti-static and anti-virus measures before connecting the camera to your system.
That's all ...

:ROTFL: :chug: :grin:
All the best

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I also dislike to connect the camera to the computer for the FW update, but with Olympus there are no other choices.
I have anyhow always diligently updated all my Olympus cameras and lenses E3, Ep2,Ep3,E5 and now OM-D, mostly on Mac's, and I never had a single problem.
It would be less annoying if Olympus didn't use a proprietary not-quite-USB connector. I have to store the cord in its special "Olympus" place. :angry:.

-Matt

jlm

Workshop Member
?????
downloaded the installer, re-booted computer, ran installer, hooked up camera using oly usb cable, hit "next" get "failure to connect to camera" message; same thing on a different mac. tried it with camera turned on and off, did see that LCD saw the usb was hooked up. bad cable?

camera still works

Last edited:

Joe Blackwood

Jim,

I had the same problem when I first attempted to do the firmware update.

Please make sure your usb cable is connected directly to your computer and not through a usb hub.
There has been at least one report of a bricked E-M5 where the update failed and the individual with the problem was connected to the camera via a usb hub.

When you connected the camera to the usb cable did you select the "Storage" connection mode? I did this but did not press the "ok" button. I then got the same, "failure to connect to camera" message. After selecting the "Storage" connection mode, press "ok."

I hope this helps with your problem.

After a search I did find the following write up by Derrick Story.
How to Apply Olympus OM-D E-M5 Firmware Update 1.2 - The Digital Story

pophoto

Although I haven't had the opportunity to look into updating my firmware, it sounds crazy that any firmware update that cannot be done SD card way, major FAIL on Olympus' part!

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
once the silly details are worked out it is quite easy:

download the olympus installer;
start the installer
hook up the camera via the USB using the oly cable,
turn on the camera, when you see the USB options on the LCD with "Storage" highlighted, hit "OK" on the camera
on the installer program hit "next"

took about 3 minutes until the big "OK" showed on the camera lcd, disconnect and turn off camera

scho

I didn't have any problems with this update, but what happens when your cable company takes you offline for maintenance in the middle of an upgrade? I've had several dropouts recently because of this type of activity, so it makes me nervous doing this with a usb/active connection upgrade. Why not a simple firmware download to install via SD card?

Rich M

I didn't have any problems with this update, but what happens when your cable company takes you offline for maintenance in the middle of an upgrade? I've had several dropouts recently because of this type of activity, so it makes me nervous doing this with a usb/active connection upgrade. Why not a simple firmware download to install via SD card?
Exactly my point Carl........why risk a brick.

R