The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bad news for anyone trying to avoid 75mm f1.8

Joe Blackwood

Translated by Google:

Google Translate - M Zuiko Digital 75 mm f / 1.8 ED MSC - The Proof - DSLR Magazine

Olympus Digital 75 mm M.ZUIKO f / 1.8 ED MSC in hand

But where life really takes this bright TV equivalent of 150 mm is mounted on a camera like the Olympus OM-D, especially if equipped with the optional grip, with which the balance is perfect.

The autofocus does justice to the claim of those responsible for the firm in the sense that it is "the fastest in the market," including professional DSLR. It is quiet, and accurate, free from any problem of "back or front focus" precisely because it is focused through the information of the sensor.
Personally, we doubt that you could achieve the accuracy of placement of focus to short and medium distances with such a combination of aperture f / 1.8 to 150 mm equivalent focal length by a traditional DSLR phase detection.

The color quality, contrast, the code Olympus, reminiscent of the best "chrome" was the top of the photochemistry. The latest generation coatings, which came into use since the introduction of M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12 mm f / 2 must have to do a lot with it.

In regard to bokeh, is superb. The combination of nearly circular aperture of the nine diaphragm blades, together with the optimum correction of chromatic aberrations, offers a clean bokeh soft perfect.
We can, of course, focus on hand, but after long periods of the target, and very attuned to the question is whether it makes sense, given the accuracy that is achieved in AF mode.
If you want, press the button twice we have assigned function and we focus on "very closely", perhaps critical subjects ... but honestly, we see more, for this purpose, perhaps for specific shots on a tripod, a land that is not the area "hunting" Digital Natural M.ZUIKO 75 mm f / 1.8 ED MSC.

In short:
• Very light for its focal equivalent, well built without plastics negative feelings but rather, quite the opposite.
• Manual focusing is very accurate and relevant smooth between physical movement and electronic impulse.
• Optics ideal for "stolen", portraits and street shots from a distance, more discreet and the focal inadevertido standard documentary.
• The consistency of the plane of focus at 1.8 is amazing, and the highest quality to all aperture values: laboratory performance is just correspondence, how could it be otherwise in the field footage.

It is a mistake to lump-unfortunately widely-size confuse value and price, and this little gem mecanoóptica, with almost 900 € Price is seen by CSC unaware of the concept in general and the Micro Four Thirds in particular as a objective "expensive", but, really, is unparalleled in the market.

In short: probably another Zuiko that will join the list of optical "historical" of the firm. Too bad it is delivered without a hood, and the corresponding metal and beautiful design, is an expensive accessory. Something that the firm should reconsider.

DavidL

Avoid it? I've been dying waiting for my order to ship!!!
My point but possibly lost in my perverse English wit:grin:
I'm avoiding the OM-D at present, but tempted to switch to it for my retirement camera, when I'll only have to supply Alamy. This sort of lens doesn't help me;)
Another reason to wait is inevitable price drop and wanting to check out GH3 and new Canon mirrorless.

Knorp

My point but possibly lost in my perverse English wit:grin:
I'm avoiding the OM-D at present, but tempted to switch to it for my retirement camera, when I'll only have to supply Alamy. This sort of lens doesn't help me;)
Another reason to wait is inevitable price drop and wanting to check out GH3 and new Canon mirrorless.
Dear David, I think you have to postpone your retirement a bit ... by a couple of years at least, I'd say.
:chug:

All the best.

Rich M

Resistance is futile.

I am just waiting for Jono to start the "Fun with the Olympus 75mm" thread and further torture us with awesome pics. :)

R

Braeside

Wonder when Olympus will get the message that we don't appreciate having to buy the lens hood as an extra. Come on...

ErikTande

Anyone get this lens yet? I had seen estimates that it was supposed to ship around July 20th, but I just got an update from Amazon saying now the estimated ship date is August through October.

RichA

Wonder when Olympus will get the message that we don't appreciate having to buy the lens hood as an extra. Come on...
Lens hoods as extras on premium lenses aren't unknown. A cheap plastic hood for a kit lens tossed in is one thing, but a machined metal hood is another. Some of the hoods for the big, long teles from Canon and Nikon are accessories and cost hundreds of dollars.

hsteeves

I have both the 200-400 and 500 Nikkors and the hoods were part of the package; in fact every Nikon long telephoto I have ever purchased came with the hood. Now, if you ever lost one, they were very expensive to replace.

Braeside

Sony lenshoods came with the lenses too including the expensive and inexpensive lenses.
All the Panasonic m4/3 lenses I bought came with hoods.
I know we are paying for them in the price, but as they are almost always needed it seems petty not to include them, and a waste of resources to have to pay shipping for them separately.
Anyway that's the way it is with Olympus...

Sony lenshoods came with the lenses too including the expensive and inexpensive lenses.
All the Panasonic m4/3 lenses I bought came with hoods.
I know we are paying for them in the price, but as they are almost always needed it seems petty not to include them, and a waste of resources to have to pay shipping for them separately.
Anyway that's the way it is with Olympus...
Hi David

Not to mention when buying the lens, the hood is listed as "out of stock". Apparently, common sense is not really very common.

Paul

jonoslack

Well, I'm pleased - these are lovely lenshoods and must be expensive. I never use lenshoods, so I'm pretty pleased not to have to pay for one!

jonoslack

Jono, I like the protection that lens hoods provide for the front element. Do you use clear filters?
No Tom
I don't use either.
I feel that a hand is better than any lens hood for preventing flare, and I wouldn't dream of adding some other companies questionable coating to the front of an expensive lens.

I reckon that with all the money I've saved by not buying a decent filter with a new lens I could probably buy a Noctilux by now. . . . .

I've only twice had a scratched front element of a lens, once, years ago, with a UV filter which broke and scratched the front element when I fell over, and the other time coming back from a service (it was replaced free of charge).

I do use lens caps when the camera is in the bag or over my shoulder (some people don't even do that).

all the best

Braeside

Hi Jono. I used to be belt and braces, lens hood and clear filter (or IR Cut for the M8). More recently I have gone without clear filters unless in blowing salt or sand conditions.

I do like lens hoods for protection when carrying the camera however, and don't like having lens caps on when the camera is out of the bag as there is a potential to miss a quick shot or even forget to take the cap off with a rangefinder! Suddenly realising when the shutter takes 30 seconds to close... Oops.