The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buying lens from Taiwan or Japan to US

tom in mpls

I suppose these question are just as pertinent if buying from China, EU, or other countries with delivery to US address. I am interested in the Panny 12-35/2.8, but can't find it domestically. There are sellers in Japan and Taiwan at eBay. If I buy from them, will I be at significant risk for additional customs charges? Is delivery reasonably fast? And I assume there would be no warranty protection, which makes me less enthusiastic. Is this correct?

JMaher

I have purchased from DigitalRev and while I think they provide their own warranty I believe some products ( this will vary by brand) will still be covered by the manufacturer.

As for speed - amazingly fast delivery.

Jim

tom in mpls

I have purchased from DigitalRev and while I think they provide their own warranty I believe some products ( this will vary by brand) will still be covered by the manufacturer.

As for speed - amazingly fast delivery.

Jim
No additional customs fees?

f6cvalkyrie

No additional customs fees?
I have also bought from DigRev, and was happy with the way they do business. Fast delivery, quite a bit cheaper than here in Europe.

Custom fee is a lottery : they pick your parcel out, you pay (and you get your parcel a lot later ...)

At least, that's how it goes here in Belgium ...

C U
Rafael

GDI

I have never been charged any duty or fees - except when using UPS, they charge "brokerage fees". I have purchased lenses and cameras - new and used with no charges INTO the US. I think there is a customs exemption on camera gear ( but I can't find a link tha confims that just now).

monza

There are no duties on film cameras. Lenses are subject to duty, but are not always flagged. Shipping via EMS will rarely if ever incur duties; Fedex is another matter. I recently got a surprise bill from Fedex for $130 in duties for a lens I bought a few weeks prior.

JMaher

When I have purchased other items (not camera related) with FedEx, as the carrier, I have also been charged. I believe DigitalRev uses EMS.

weeks82

Update to my previous post. I received a bill for $20.00 (or so) from FedEx for buying the 12-35mm from DigitalRev. I've bought several things from them before and never received a bill. Not a big deal as it was still cheaper than buying the lens in the US.

Annna T

Update to my previous post. I received a bill for $20.00 (or so) from FedEx for buying the 12-35mm from DigitalRev. I've bought several things from them before and never received a bill. Not a big deal as it was still cheaper than buying the lens in the US.
I have visited their website and they assure that if there were import duties to Switzerland, it would be billed to them and not to the customer. Import rights can be quite high : 8% plus a fixed administrative tax of 35.-CHF plus a percentage of the total price... This could easily make up to 120-150.- CHFrs (1 CHFr= 1 $, more or less exact parity now).
Then I checked as if I was buying from the US and saw no such announcement. So my guess is that US customers will have to pay possible taxes.