The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Something (and nothing)about the OMD

jonoslack

We went to Latitude festival last weekend. The organisers had inexcusably refused me a photo pass.:deadhorse: It didn't matter though, as they clearly didn't recognise either the OMD or the M9 as "real" cameras,:D

On the other hand, we met two old friends, one who normally shoots Nikon, the other Canon. I got emails from both of them today saying they'd bought OMDs.

I guess the moral of this story is that if you want to look like a pro, then the OMD is not the answer, but if you just want to take photographs without being too obvious then maybe it's for you!

tom in mpls

Jono, are you using legacy MF lenses, or Oly/Panny mFT lenses? BTW I heard a similar story from a salesman at our local photo store about getting in to an event because he didn't have a "pro" camera. Unfortunately they had the OMD in stock. In silver. Someone bought it.:grin:

I can't believe the fast focus. So much better than the cameras I've been using the last several years. I absolutely love the XP1/35mm combo wide open, but I don't know if I can deal with the missed shots due to the s-l-o-w AF.

m_driscoll

We went to Latitude festival last weekend. The organisers had inexcusably refused me a photo pass.:deadhorse: It didn't matter though, as they clearly didn't recognise either the OMD or the M9 as "real" cameras,:D

On the other hand, we met two old friends, one who normally shoots Nikon, the other Canon. I got emails from both of them today saying they'd bought OMDs.

I guess the moral of this story is that if you want to look like a pro, then the OMD is not the answer, but if you just want to take photographs without being too obvious then maybe it's for you!
Jono: I went out and shot with my friend, today, who's a professional Canon shooter. He had much the same comment about my OMD. People notice his camera pointed at them, but, don't seem to notice, or care about my OMD. Just another amateur snapping away. He's now talking about lightening up his gear. :D

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

V

Vivek

So, Jono, your assumption that the OM-D "looks the part" does not appear to be true? ;)

I am waiting for the Google glasses that will obviate all the pass business. :D

jonoslack

Jono, are you using legacy MF lenses, or Oly/Panny mFT lenses?
HI Tom
good luck with the camera - I'm sure you'll enjoy it:

I'm using a mixture of lenses - favourites include:

Panasonic:
12-35
100-300

Olympus:
12-50
14-150

Leica R
60 mm macro
80-200 f4

So, Jono, your assumption that the OM-D "looks the part" does not appear to be true? ;)
HI Vivek - I take your point, but it's not quite the same thing - the point being here that the camera was simply not noticed - Anyone looking properly it does look the part (just a rather small part!)

Have a fantastic holiday

I start to feel like a threatened species; one of those last few photographers who don't have an OM-D :talk028:

You are not alone . . .

Keith
Jorge, Keith - the solution really is quite simple!

It's just too bad, that it doesn't have a silent shutter mode, then it would really be something.:poke::D
Hi Clay - have you heard the shutter - it's really really quiet - I've certainly not been aware of anyone noticing it.

all the best

bradhusick

quite true. if you take off the grip and battery extensions, mount a pancake lens and carry the extras in a pocket the OM-D looks like just another compact camera - not a threat to security guards in public venues.