The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympics & m4/3 - Any Attending with an m4/3 Camera?

jnewell

I ran across some posts today that indicate that at least some Olympics venues will not permit any interchangeable lens camera to be brought into the venue(s). Trying to make sense of everything, it looks like there is one rule (no interchangeable lens cameras) for Wembly, the general rule (nothing > 30cm) for other venues, and the possibility for more relaxed rules for outdoor venues where "large" photo gear won't interfere with other viewers.

I have a very personal interest in whether I can bring my m4/3 gear into one of the venues...if you've looked at this, and the many vague, confusing and contradictory statements that have come from the general vicinity of the organizers, I'd love to hear how you're reading the tea leaves.

Last edited:

ErikTande

Anyone else first read this title as Olympus & m4/3? :-D

I'd say give it a go. No matter what the official policy is, it comes down to the guy at the door. Most hardly pay any attention to smaller camera gear, their primary concern will be weapons, projectiles, drugs, etc...

jonoslack

Well, I'm not going - However, I'm very aware of this policy, as it is identical (and just as confused) as at the recent Latitude festival.

There - despite rather strict wording - they were checking for anything around the size of a 5D/D800 or larger..... or anything smaller with a BIG lens. They were much more interested in cans of drink etc.

I had no problem with an M9 and lenses, and with an OMD and lenses (although I left the 100-300 at home although it's much less than the suggested 30cm).

So - I'm with ErikTande on this one - give it a go, but try and keep to a smaller lens if possible, and try and stick with one (and be really friendly to the security guys).

all the best

jonoslack

Amateur Photographer Magazine has an article that says any photos taken are only for private use, and can't be posted on sites such as twitter.
Actually - read further down the article:

In a statement, Locog told the Times: 'Spectators can take pictures of whatever they like at our venues and use them on social media. The only restriction is for very large photographic equipment and tripods that obstruct people's view.'

I'm sure there'll be no problem with an m4/3 kit.

all the best

jnewell

Well, I'm not going - However, I'm very aware of this policy, as it is identical (and just as confused) as at the recent Latitude festival.

There - despite rather strict wording - they were checking for anything around the size of a 5D/D800 or larger..... or anything smaller with a BIG lens. They were much more interested in cans of drink etc.

I had no problem with an M9 and lenses, and with an OMD and lenses (although I left the 100-300 at home although it's much less than the suggested 30cm).

So - I'm with ErikTande on this one - give it a go, but try and keep to a smaller lens if possible, and try and stick with one (and be really friendly to the security guys).

all the best
Thanks all...

My current plan has been to take a GZ1 with the 14-140 and an OM-D with the 100-300 (which as you note is way under the 30cm line, especially if collapsed with the hood reversed) in a TT Retrospective bag. Do you think I'm pushing it? I know there are no answers, but guesses. opinions, etc. are helpful. The venue I'm concerned with is the Eton Dorney water sports venue, where I am sort of guessing (that word again) that the security personnel may be a little more relaxed.

jonoslack

Thanks all...

My current plan has been to take a GZ1 with the 14-140 and an OM-D with the 100-300 (which as you note is way under the 30cm line, especially if collapsed with the hood reversed) in a TT Retrospective bag. Do you think I'm pushing it? I know there are no answers, but guesses. opinions, etc. are helpful. The venue I'm concerned with is the Eton Dorney water sports venue, where I am sort of guessing (that word again) that the security personnel may be a little more relaxed.
I don't think that's pushing it at all - you should be fine - just be nice!

. . . . have a great time as well.

jnewell

Thank you very much! :)

My head says you're right, but my gut is always looking for things to worry about! :D

And, definitely, I will enjoy. This is an un-looked-for, unexpected, less-than-once-in-a-lifetime happening! :)