The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with HDR

JMaher

HDR+ - Is it still the photograph or Something Else?

A 3 step process to the final image. Does it still represent the original scene or has the HDR process and the addition of the sky from another day changed it into something else?

OM-D, 25 1.4

HDR 3 steps to the Final Image by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Jim

les

HDR+ - Is it still the photograph or Something Else?

A 3 step process to the final image. Does it still represent the original scene or has the HDR process and the addition of the sky from another day changed it into something else?

Jim

There are many views about HDR but fwiw seems to me that if the result is a close approximation of what the photographer 'saw' on the day, then fine.
In this case while I don't know the location and obviously wasn't there, number three looks 'believable' and gets my vote.

sangio

Hi Jim,

Your HDR images from Italy that you've been posting are excellent, and very realistic, without any of the surreal colors that most seem to be afflicted with.

For your Venice image, that added cloudy sky doesn't quite fit with the reflection in the canal, so I prefer the second image. I'll sometimes add a slight color gradient to a white sky, but I've not had much luck with adding clouds.

Are you using Photomatix or something else?

Regards
Santo

JMaher

That for the positive feedback.

I am using Photomatrix. In the third example I actually copied a sky from another shot in Italy (on another day) as I didn't like the white sky.

From my perspective #3 was the closest to what I remember the scene looking like. However we all know about memory and age (grin).

Jim

Tesselator

JPeg compression even at 11 messed up the sky a little. :p

Fall Night Bridge

Yashica ML 24mm, F/2.8, ISO 1250, GH2, 4-Shot HDR Merge via PS CC ACR Tonemapped,
Shiratori Teien (White-bird Gardens)