The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show or tell us: your OMD with grip (Oly or Milich)

tom in mpls

To my knowledge, there are 2 grips now available, and one more not yet available. The grip options from our own John Milich (username jlm) is available in addition to the official Olympus HLD-6. The offering from Really Right Stuff isn't shipping yet.

Can you show us your OMD with grip attached, plus any comments? My preference has always been to avoid making my camera any bigger or heavier, but on a camera this small, my mind remains open.

Even if you don't have a pic to show, tell us why you do or do not prefer to use either grip.

Last edited:

sangio

Hi Tom:

I ordered the OM-D with the Olympus grip before Jim had his version available.
The camera with the upper portion of the grip feels great, with much improved ergonomics compared to the "naked" camera.

Unlike most people, I really don't care for the handling with the bottom battery compartment attached, so it's never on the camera. But yes, changing the battery is a minor PITA. I really like having the extra shutter release and control wheel on the grip, but I may get one of Jim's grips if changing the battery really starts bothering me.

Some pics below....

Regards
Santo

Knorp

With the teeny Zuiko

Compared to its big(er) sister

FWIW Tom, I'm still very happy with the grip !

All the best.

Last edited:

Jonas

Here is mine, here with the Zuiko M. 12/2.0, the horizontal part of the original Olympus grip attached, the way I normally uses it:

The grip is, to me at least, essential. (I hope Olympus, one good day, will release a firmware update making it possible to use the camera's front control dial and shutter release button for something else now that their functions are doubled.

Jonas

Sorry Tom, I should have mentioned that.
Normally I don't use any handstrap. The image was taken just before I left Sweden for a visit to Barcelona, Spain. Then I removed my Arca-Swiss plate and instead mounted this contraption from Camdapter (Manfrotto fit QR plate plus strap). It's OK but they don't make anything for my new head which is an Arca-Swiss p0 head with slidefix mount so I work without handstrap now.

tom in mpls

There is also a Really Right Stuff Grip and L-Plate combo. RRS Grip
Correct. I did mention it in the first post, but it is not shipping yet. Interestingly, they are producing a model designed for the silver body.

Can someone please tell me in which piece of the HLD-6 is the bottom strap slot located?

I'm leaning towards the Milich since it does not have to be removed to access the battery. Does someone have pics of that one? His post here has a few.

Last edited:

sangio

Correct. I did mention it in the first post, but it is not shipping yet.

Can someone please tell me in which piece of the HLD-6 is the bottom strap slot located?

I'm leaning towards the Milich since it does not have to be removed to access the battery. Does someone have pics of that one?
The bottom strap is on the bottom battery compartment. The top portion of the grip that you see in Jonas' and my previous posts does not have this slot.

Regards
Santo

Jonas

I have a Milich adapter since earlier and it's a wonderful little thing, precisely machined and with nice finish. I'm not sure about this grip though; before buying one I would like to know how it feels to hold the camera and what it would be like having a grip without a shutter release.
One can probably get used to everything but if I hold the E-M5 with the horizontal (or landscape) part of the Olympus grip attached it feels strange, or even awkward, trying to reach the camera's front control dial and shutter release. But, the Milich grip doesn't extend all the way up to the camera's top plate so perhaps it feels better; I imagine the middle finger can find a resting point above the top of the grip and then it may be comfortable reaching the shutter release with the index finger. I would like to try before buying it.
In the end, I'm very happy with the Olympus grip. It's well made and the controls have the same feeling as those on the camera body. I don't switch battery often enough to worry about the little work with that. When necessary the portrait part of the grip can be attached and then you got the power and more controls as well.

jlm

Workshop Member
A pic of mine

The idea is to rest the middle finger on top of the grip where it is perfectly located to operate the main dial whilst ;) leaving the first finger for the shutter and function buttons

Underneath, the battery cab accessed and there is a removable pin for a hand strap

L

Linh

Don't have pics on hand, but I don't think it adds anything as John (jlm)'s pics would mirror mine (except I have no left mount). It's a solid piece of engineering. I have not tested fit for the arca-swiss mount (don't have anything for it), but I'm confident it fits.

I must say I love the grip so far. It is very comfortable in hand and the addition of a hand strap point is very nice (not sure I'll use it, but saves me from buying a camdapter). Centering of the tripod mount is also great because I don't need any accessories for my nodal ninja either.

But the real kicker on this? That battery door opening. I do events part time, and the E-M5 always on is a battery killer. But shooting with a grip for an event is almost a necessity for me as I have a flash mounted. Doing this w/ the Oly grip would drive me insane as I can't access the inside battery (and I don't necessarily want the portrait grip either). This... solves that problem =)

As for downsides, price is probably one of them. It's not cheap and you don't get a forward button.. but this doesn't bother me as none of the grip options are cheap =/ I also might add a thin piece of felt or something behind the grip to isolate it some, but not sure it's necessary. Oh, and you'll likely have to carry the allen wrench with you in case you need to remove or tighten the grip.

Overall, definitely a buy. The RSS one for me was excessive since I don't need an L bracket, and the grip looks larger than John's. Oh, John is also a stand up guy, this helps a lot, too =) I wish I had more things to buy from him (well, short of custom non-camera work.. I wouldn't be able to likely afford that, hah)

Jonas

Linh, I hear you, I understand the idea behind John's grip and as an earlier customer (I bought one of the first LTM--> µ4/3 adapters from John) I know John provides a friendly and good service.
But... I have to ask how you find the grip when it comes to stability; having the middle finger on top of the grip while handling the shutter and the button with the index finger leaves only two more fingers to hold the the whole package. Is it good enough?

For me the battery switching problem using the Olympus horizontal grip is a minor problem as I seldom is in any hurry. As mentioned I might mount the portrait part as well when needed. The hand strap pin is good (Olympus doesn't offer that), the centered tripod mount is good (same as with Olympus, and yes, I have a Nodal Ninja as well).

John, finally, what is the weight of your grip, in grams if possible?

L

Linh

But... I have to ask how you find the grip when it comes to stability; having the middle finger on top of the grip while handling the shutter and the button with the index finger leaves only two more fingers to hold the the whole package. Is it good enough?

For me the battery switching problem using the Olympus horizontal grip is a minor problem as I seldom is in any hurry.
For the handling.. I don't have a problem with it. But I switch between two and three fingers because I don't always have my middle finger on top. And when I do, I'm still wrapping around the top toward the inside. And in addition, the camera is sorta cradled in my hand anyway. No matter how I hold it, it feels more secure than it naked. BUT, I didn't really feel insecure with it naked.. just that the grip does add more oomph for holding.

As for the battery, yeah, that is a very subjective thing. I know I've read folks go the whole day w/o swapping. But for me, it was a huge factor.

I should also add I have not had any trouble w/ the camera sitting on the table either. No balance issues (tho, the longest lens I have is the 12-50, and the heaviest is probably the PL25 or 12/2)

btrancho

I too have John's grip but I hold it differently than Linh. I use three fingers on the grip - my forefinger adjusts the front dial and presses the shutter - my thumb adjusts the rear dial and stabilizes on the thumb rest.

I have somewhat large hands and find using the grip this way makes the whole combo feel quite natural and easy in my hand. I wouldn't consider using the OMD without it now. It really completes the camera.

The battery opening doesn't seem like a big deal until that time when you lose track of the charge and suddenly you have a dead battery message. Then being able to pop it out and shove in a fresh one quickly makes you happy it's there.

I use the bottom hand strap pin to connect my home made sling (1" poly webbing, locking strap adjuster, O ring and Le Hook quick release). The strap, a Gordy wrist strap, and the whole thing works beautifully.

Diane B

Not that appearance would sway me, but would someone with Jim's grip and a silver OMD please show their camera. I'm still not sure I want a grip but I know I don't want the battery/portrait grip as I've done that with a number of DLSRs over the years. Consequently I hate to buy the whole deal.

I like that it doesn't cover the battery, that it is lighter. Is it black? It doesn't appear to be and the description makes me think not. With the newer one I can't make out how much higher it is to make for probably better ergonomics for me. I've also used an L bracket but not sure how much time this one will see on tripod either. So--IF possible I'd like to see a newer one on a silver body, tilted a bit so I can see grip to shutter button (not asking much;) )

Forget photo. Found John's again LOL. However, from photo still can't tell color. Is it just anodized aluminum color?

Oh, does anyone have or remember the old Canon E1 wrist strap? Wondering if it would work with this. I also don't think I can use Jim's method of using the middle finger. I tried to position hand that way and just don't feel it would work. I would imagine I will be more likely to use Bob's holding method with 3 fingers on the grip, index for front and shutter and two top buttons (I have set Fn. 2 for AEL and rec. for multi). thumb for back dial

Diane