The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm f1.8

scott kirkpatrick

Another popular Icelandic sport

When you rent a 4x4 in Keflavik, big signs tell you to not even THINK of doing this.

Actually, the first car isn't even 4wd. There are also landrovers with snorkel air inputs and trucks with giant tires that make this particular ford look easy, but the average Icelander seems to feel this is just a way to get the car washed.

scott

Landmannalaugar IS, E-P5 with 75/1.8

scott kirkpatrick

Locations for the puffins and horse pictures:

Puffins -- cliffs at Dyrholaey (I tihnk)
Horses -- in the interior at Kringla, on route F225 to Landmannalaugar, and near Eskifjordur. We rode 'em at Varmhlid.

scott

kweide

Richard, my new male model :)
Posing in italian shirt on the sandy beach of Marausa, Sicily.
And suddenly tons of Bikini Beauties around us and all eyes on him,
smiling, posing for him as well. That makes him smile :)

Olympus E-M5 + M.Zuiko 75mm, noNR
ISO200 @ f3.5, 1/60 second, 75 mm focal length​

scott kirkpatrick

I've started working with the raw files from the E-P5, and the extra bit or two of headroom really makes a difference. I've replaced some of the shots I showed from jpegs earlier in this thread (horses in particular), and can finally make something nice out of this bizarre bit of boomery:

Eskilfjordur, IS

scott

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sometimes, I wonder why I own other lenses than this :)

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.8

Last edited:

Bill Gordon

Re: Seaboots (from Eskilfjordur, IS)

A fisherman left these behind in 1920, when he followed the herring to Norway:

neither he nor the herring returned, so the whole herring shack and its contents remained untouched for 90 years.

scott
E-P5, 75/1.8
I think that was a well crafted story with a very few words and two wonderful images!!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Went to a friend's funeral today who died at the ripe, old age of 91. Nothing much to take photos of except the priest.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I went to the beach today. There were monsters there :eek:

Great shot, Jorgen.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you focus this? I have a LOT of trouble with the 75/1.8 on an EM-5 with subject motion. Probably not the camera's fault!

Thanks,

Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the comments and likes, all of you. We hadn't been to the beach in two years, so we had a blast :)

Matt,
With moving subjects, I always stop down to get more DOF, in this case f/2.8, which is borderline. f/4 or 5.6 would have been better. Perfect focus will always be a bit behind the subject. I've also found that, since the 75mm focuses so fast, I can mostly just push the shutter release to the bottom in one go using AF-S, and it will focus and take the shot more or less in one operation. If you had seen this photo full resolution, you would have seen that her right hand is perfectly in focus and the left one not.

Still, this is the most important argument for the E-M1. My guess is that, within two years, all m4/3 cameras will have the phase detect AF of the E-M1.

Brian Mosley

Still, this is the most important argument for the E-M1. My guess is that, within two years, all m4/3 cameras will have the phase detect AF of the E-M1.
If the patent application by Olympus, for phase detect at every sensel proves workable, I think we're likely to see an avalanche towards smaller sensor cameras with adjustable (narrowing) depth of field... Shoot at f4 for maximum sharpness, and then simulate f1.2 in development.

The OM-D line certainly has Olympus on a new roll!

Cheers

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If the patent application by Olympus, for phase detect at every sensel proves workable, I think we're likely to see an avalanche towards smaller sensor cameras with adjustable (narrowing) depth of field... Shoot at f4 for maximum sharpness, and then simulate f1.2 in development.

The OM-D line certainly has Olympus on a new roll!

Cheers

Brian
The Panasonic 42.5mm and Zuiko 40-150mm lenses will be very important. With those, there are lenses for what most photographers need with the exception of tilt/shift and very long, fast aperture telephoto lenses. The only real competition I believe will come from Nikon 1, if they can increase the number of lenses and a better selection of bodies. Others are lacking in AF and/or general ergonomics.

Brian Mosley

Now that photography is so closely aligned with electronics, it's getting harder to predict the future. There's a lot to be said for selecting the cheapest mass market device which gets the job done, rather than seeing any format as a long term investment.

I recently got the E-P5 kit, with the intention of selling my E-M5 and X100, adding the E-M1... however, the X100 is more compact, much lighter and has a silent shutter - still a great camera and getting cheaper all the time.

If I had to sell everything tomorrow, I'd keep the E-P5 + 17mm f1.8 but I'd sorely miss the X100.

Cheers

Brian

Glenn

Sold my EM-5 and waiting for the EM-1. These are the last pics I took with my EM-5 and 75mm (which I'm keeping) combo: