The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD or GX1?

biglouis

I am really surprised (pleasantly) by the comments on the GX1. I really like that form factor, it is a very nicely designed camera but I have never seriously considered it assuming it is just a repackaged GH-2. If they really start dropping in price I may consider one.

LouisB

Moonshine

If you're very happy with you Leica X2, you may be disappointed with the OMD or GX1. I have used Ricoh GXR, Sony NEX 5N/NEX 7, and Leica X1 and I much prefer Leica X1's image quality. If you are looking for flexibility, I would suggest you try the new Sony RX100. But if you're looking for image quality, then try the Leica M9.

Cheers,
So the RX100 has better IQ than the OMD and GX1?
The M9 is out of the question (as much as i would love to own it again) due to the cost of the camera...besides i'm too much of a novice to justify that price.

M

michaelnel

I am really surprised (pleasantly) by the comments on the GX1. I really like that form factor, it is a very nicely designed camera but I have never seriously considered it assuming it is just a repackaged GH-2. If they really start dropping in price I may consider one.

LouisB
They are down to $399 (body only) at at least one online store right now. I doubt they'll get much cheaper in the near term.

M

michaelnel

Well, sorry, the place was Kenmore camera. They are now out of stock and they raised the price to $449.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@Moonshine,

I only use the four lenses I mentioned, and all are primes. The 20/1.7 comes the closest to pancake in form, and it's an excellent lens.

I shot pro video for years; really, the vast majority of edited documentaries and feature films shoot static setups (single shots from a still camera position) and the separate shots are edited together to produce the intimacy of changing perspectives. I can understand why zooms are so handy for home/casual use, but unless they are used very carefully, the viewer's experience can be unsettled by the movement. In pro use, apart from the very expensive (and hence occasional) use of a crane, or a rig on tracks, primes on cameras locked off on tripods (or panned via a fluid head on a tripod) are the norm.

for both stills and video, if you have shaky hands, the OM-D will definitely be the better choice for you, IMO.

@GaryAyala: I do see what you see at higher ISOs, and agree that if this is your preferred working zone, ISO-wise (1600+) then the OM0D is the better choice.

bbrovold

I bought the GX1, liked the IQ compared to the EP-2 I used to have but then I bought an OMD and the GX1 just sat in the closet. I like the OMD much better and I think it has an edge on dynamic range and of course the IBIS is great.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A local shop here sells the GX1 with the 20/1.7 for around $850. That's a rather nice price, isn't it? The also have it with the 25/1.4 for $1,350.

Hedgehog

I actually put my GX1 for sale after using the OM-D. The key factors for this was the IBIS, fast burst rate, and inbuilt EVF. Try to get your hands on both AS it probably be down to your own personal preference. I really enjoyed shooting with the GX1 so ponder if you need aformentioned as you could save yourself a bundle of cash.

Moonshine

I'm waiting for my local camera store to get the omd then I can try both the cameras side by side and see which I prefer. Thanks ^