The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD or GX1?

Moonshine

I apologize if this has been discussed before but it didn't show up in my search.

I really can't decide which to get out of these 2 cameras in regard to just IQ. I usually don't shoot higher than iso 1600 and plan to use the pana leica 25 with it. Also maybe a zoom in the future. So based on IQ alone which do you recommend? Or would they be the same in IQ?

My only other camera at this point is the X2 which i absolutely love but don't want to be just married to 35mm which is why I'm thinking of getting one of these cameras so i can have different focal lengths to use. I've been reading lots on the micro four thirds and basically narrowed it down to the OMD or the GX1...so please help me make a decision!

larkis

I have the panasonic cameras, a GF1 and GH2, and must say that the OMD is definitely the way to go if you are not doing video. I recently shot in japan with a friend who has the olympus, and he definitely had an edge as far as low light performance goes. I'm going to see what the GH3 or whatever panasonic decides to call it brings, if they don't do anything interesting I will pick up a OMD as well.

jnewell

I have spent the last 10 days shooting an OM-D and a GX-1 side by side. I cannot distinguish between the two in terms of IQ. There are obvious UI/physical differences, even if you use the EVF on the GX1 full time, as I do. You didn't mention the G3, which should also have the same IQ and is a genuine bargain if cost is an issue.

If I had to choose between the OM-D and the GX-1, I would probably lean toward the OM-D because it is a more flexible piece of hardware, but it's a close call. Other than cost, the other thing that might influence your decision is the availability of IBIS in the OM-D, which could be important if you have or plan to buy lenses without OIS.

M

michaelnel

I had an OM-D for a few days, and I found I just couldn't find anything about it that I liked better than my GX1 (other than the high speed burst mode), and I did find a lot of things that really bothered me about it.

So, right now the OM-D is boxed up and sitting in the hall, waiting for the UPS guy to show up and take it back to Amazon for a refund.

Moonshine

Thanks for all the responses :)
If IQ wise they are both on par, and the omd having the added advantage of ibis and built in evf...my only concern is that (from what I've read on some threads) the Omd does not perform as well with Panasonic lenses which is what I will be using with it most of the time. Has anyone noticed this with their omd? The rattlesnake noise and not as easy to focus as with a Panasonic camera? Please advise!

JMaher

I haven't owned a Panasonic G series since the G1 but just to point out the obvious.

Yes, once in a great while the 25 rattlesnakes on the OM-D. However on the OM-D it has fantastic image stabilization. While I would prefer not to have the occasional rattlesnake (so far 2x's on my camera in about a month) I would say the tradeoff is well worth it.

The following was taken at 1.6 seconds with the OM-D. Yes I was well braced but I just could not have done this with out stabilization. The same picture quality only counts if you can get the same picture.

See this shot: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/440000-post994.html

I sure that there are advantages to the GX-1 but I wouldn't make the trade.

Jim

Moonshine

the ibis is really worth it i guess even though i really like the ergonomics of the gx1 more...still thinking...

JMaher

The GX1 looks like a great camera. I like having stabilization as it helps me. Others will find something else more important.

Jim

ptomsu

Workshop Member
GX1 is a totally different camera as the OMD, since it has no EVF and no IBIS and thus can be used for / in totally different situations.

Anyway I have the OMD and this is the best m43 camera I have shot so far. I have not tried the GX1 I must admit, but also think it is a great camera.

Now as the G5 is out this is another very good option to consider.

Diane B

I've had the G1, GF1 and G3 (actually I still have all 3 LOL). At the time I found each of them very good--needed an EVF (or wanted one) so had to use the original EVF aux. for GF1 which wasn't up to par, but..... I had the G3 for over a year and like it still but really do like the OMD more. I do feel that both DR and higher ISOs are improved--if we are talking IQ only. But---I was a scoffer at IS, I've been a long time Canon shooter with IS on only a few lenses and IS on 3 of my Panny lenses. I am pretty amazed at what I can shoot shutter length time, and though no Spring chicken, can shoot 1/30s most of the time with large or small cams without IS, so just blown away with the OMD.

I was prepared for menu blues but there again, for the most part I was pretty well set after a week and just an occasional niggle which is frustrating but once I figure it out I don't forget it. It is a very fun camera to shoot with my custom settings that suit my style. I just love the shadows/highlight option and though a long time histogram shooter I can say I can control my exposures to suit much much better.

All in all, not one regret buying it. I expect I can be happy with this cam for 4 years at least. I think I'm ready to sell my DSLR, much gear, the rest of my lenses and settle in with m4/3.

I wouldn't try to turn you off the GX1 either--my G3 is quite capable also and I certainly could have stuck with it for several years but once I had the OMD in hand and shot with it for awhile I was smitten LOL.

Edit: I forgot to mentioin I have almost all Panny lenses--the 20/1.7, 25/1.4 (my favorite lens and mine hasn't rattlesnaked yet), 14-45 and 14-42 (came with G3), 45/2.8 macro, 45-200--also Oly 17/2.8 which I bought to tide me over until 20 came out, the ZD9-18 with converter (also a tide over before WA was available), 12-50/3.5-6.3 which I planned to sell but it and 25/1.4 make a fine small kit. A number of legacy MFs, too. All are fine on OMD.

Moonshine

Thanks for the responses
So close to pulling the trigger on the Omd...don,t know why I'm being so hesitant :0

Diane, did u get the black or silver?

Diane B

Thanks for the responses
So close to pulling the trigger on the Omd...don,t know why I'm being so hesitant :0

Diane, did u get the black or silver?
I was so sure I wanted the black and if I'd ordered it online that's what I would have. However, I really wanted to handle it, try some of my lenses on it and shoot some so I waited until the only camera store I know of reasonably locally got it. I called about once a week until one Friday they said they had one black and one silver in stock. I called just before they closed to be sure they still had them, then was there when they opened--about hour and a quarter from me. He handed me the black first and i did my thing--but then asked if I could see the silver. He went to the back and brought it out--and I have to say it 'called' to me LOL. So--I came home with the silver.

If you get it be sure and give yourself time to deal with the menus. Get the starting guide for it from Dpreview and ask questions if something stymies you. I will admit I had issues moving from Panasonic's menu (and Canon) but once I got the "how" of the menus I was able to try various configurations with buttons and dials until it suited me, set up certain things which are important and feel pretty comfortable with it after several weeks.

Enjoy whichever one you choose.

Diane.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have had the OM-D for two months or so and the GX1, for last couple of weeks. I sold the OM-D today, not because there is anything wrong with it (apart from the on-off switch) but because with the RRS L bracket (minus the portrait end) the GX1 has better ergonomics (for me) and like jnewell above, I could not find any IQ difference.

I really like the Precision focus mode on the GX1.

I did like IBIS, but none of my lenses are longer than 45/1.8, so really not a problem and if I do get one of the longer Panny lenses, I will make sure it's one with OIS.

The graphics are cruder on the GX1, but I prefer the menu structure, and the EVF is clever in that it lock on, tilts, and the diopter adjustment cannot be bumped accidentally. Side by side, the EVFs are very similar in visual quality.

The lens set I have chosen is Panny 7–14 and 20/1.7, and Oly 12/2 and 45/1.8. All excellent. Unlike Diane, I did not like the 25/1.4: for me, just too big for the body. I do not have any zooms.

Over the last year or so, I sold all my Nikon pro gear, and the Sony A850, too. I still have my studio strobes, and any of the µ4/3rds cameras can trigger them, so that's covered (product and portrait).

Last, but not least, the GX1 is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the OM-D, and with all the travel I do, that counts. And I can take the LVF-2 off the body, if I want and, with the 20/1.7, have real portability. Not RX-100 level, but enough for me. I really feel µ4/3rds has come of age.

GaryAyala

I guess I'm the only one that sees a dif in IQ between the GX1 and the OM-D. At higher ISO's, there is maybe half a stop difference between the GX1 and my old GF1 (quite disappointing).

At ISO's of 400 and less really no significant differences between the GF1, Gx1 and the OM-D.

The OM-D is a stop to two stops better than the GX1 at ISO's of 1600+.

I shoot a lot of low-light stuff, so high ISO performance is very important to me.
G

Moonshine

Just came across this review for the GX1...really simple and clean review.

The OMD is probably better for high iso and it has ibis which really helps for someone like me who has very shaky hands but the price difference is siginificant between the 2 cameras...GX1 can be found for $500 approx while the OMD is $1000 approx

Still thinking about which to get...

@ Kit- how good is the kit lens that comes with the GX1? Its so compact that it's almost flat!

Thanks everyone for all the input...it really helps when trying to make the right decision when they are so many good cameras out there! I looked at a NEX7 too at a local camera store and really liked the camera feel and ergonomics etc but the lack of lenses for that system made me look into micro four thirds.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nato/12756446-418/panasonic-gx1-compact-but-precise.html

Diane B

The difference in price is significant and why last year I chose the G3 over the GH2 since the G3 handles all my video needs.

I'd think about whether the tilt LCD makes a difference, whether an inbody EVF is important. Those were the issues I had with the GF1. Unless you shoot using higher ISO quite a bit (I do) you likely will be quite happy with the IQ from the GX1. So--I would bet that the important things for you might be those two and maybe IBIS.

Diane

M

michaelnel

The Panasonic 14-42 power zoom lens (the more expensive pancake one) has had many many reports of double image and soft focus issues. I would steer clear of it.

However, the 14-45mm zoom is a really great lens.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I apologize if this has been discussed before but it didn't show up in my search.

I really can't decide which to get out of these 2 cameras in regard to just IQ. I usually don't shoot higher than iso 1600 and plan to use the pana leica 25 with it. Also maybe a zoom in the future. So based on IQ alone which do you recommend? Or would they be the same in IQ?

My only other camera at this point is the X2 which i absolutely love but don't want to be just married to 35mm which is why I'm thinking of getting one of these cameras so i can have different focal lengths to use. I've been reading lots on the micro four thirds and basically narrowed it down to the OMD or the GX1...so please help me make a decision!

If you're very happy with you Leica X2, you may be disappointed with the OMD or GX1. I have used Ricoh GXR, Sony NEX 5N/NEX 7, and Leica X1 and I much prefer Leica X1's image quality. If you are looking for flexibility, I would suggest you try the new Sony RX100. But if you're looking for image quality, then try the Leica M9.

Cheers,