The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus Pro camera coming E-7 ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There are number of rumors and even press releases about Olympus working on a new model for also supporting their E-System pro glass (aka SHG) in a satisfying way with new and fast AF.

What can we expect? For sure the 16MP sensor from the OMD, but will this new camera have a mirror or be mirror less? Will it support a complete new PDAF system or a integrated solution of PDAF and CDAF like the Canon 650D ?

For myself this will be almost too late as this new beast would have to be really remarkably better than the E5 in order to make me think of getting partially back into Olympus pro line. Main reason for that the really excellent SHG glass which still cannot be seen by any other vendor.

What are your thoughts? Anyone still waiting for this camera?

Peter

nugat

Just today I was comparing my E5 and EM5 (OMD whatever---what a name??). I put my trusty 12-60 on both. And...could not find a difference in pictures' quality. Any focal length, any aperture--the only difference is that EM5 pictures at 100% are a little bigger--by 15% linear to be exact. And that 15% does not show any extra detail. The pix I took at 200 ISO, and presumably EM5 would behave better than E5 at 1600 ISO. How much better, and whether it would be only thanks to denoise in-camera algorithms--I do not know.
Then I put the 12-35/2.8 on my EM5 and 14-35/2 on my E5. And guess what--again the pictures are almost the same quality across all f-lengths and apertures. (I tested 14-25-35 at 2/2.8-4-6.3). Almost, because the 14-35/2 I compared wide open at f2 to 12-35/2.8 wide open at f2.8 (set to 14 mm, also a handicap, there is a 14mm mark on the lens!). Judging by MTFs the big glass would perform better on the edges and in the corners but I did not do such comparisons.
This weekend I'll put the big glass on EM5, I am curious if there will be any extra resolution to be found there.
Yes, I am waiting for E7. I think it'll be a worthy upgrade over E5 only if the sensor is more mpix than the 16 of EM5. The actual benefit won't be visible until doubling of the pixel count from 12mpix to 24mpix. Unfortunately 20 mpix is more likely, to keep in line with the APS-C Sony sensor developments. Putting the current EM5 sensor into E7 just won't do...
As for EVF, to be able to use all the wonderful SHG glass there must be a capability for phase detection. So either the Sony way of translucent mirror, or a new hybrid sensor with phase detection pixels.
I am actually quite happy with the mirror from E5 and don't necessarily look for it to be removed. More important is the +20mpix sensor count and better noise control in the shadows, even at low ISO. Here the 4/3 sensor still lags behind full frames.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This might be the replacement for the E-5 that I never bought, and this time, I'll probably do it. I have a strong feeling that this will be a camera with an OVF. Unless Olympus have made some major improvements to the EVF, there are still areas (like sports photography) where the EVF simply can't follow. The 16MP sensor will most probably be good enough. For me (and for many others I suspect), this will be an alternative to buying a D3 or D4, and although the Olympus won't be able to follow the Nikons at high ISO, given the experiences with the OM-D, it will probably be good enough for most and much, much cheaper, even compared to a used D3. There's also the advantage of the one stop faster zooms, zooms that are sharp corner to corner at any aperture. The Zuiko SHG glass isn't more expensive than the corresponding Nikkors, and at the telephoto end, it's actually cheaper.

I also think that the 4/3-m4/3 combo is far superior to any other traditional/mirrorless combos out there, with a wider selection of gear that can be used by both systems and the obvious advantage of one sensor size only.

I have to upgrade my Nikon gear anyway, so I might put it all up for sale and buy my future backup camera, a used E-5 or simply and OM-D, while I'm waiting.

Edit:
Although the new 4/3 camera has apparently been shelved at least once during the development process, I see this as a very obvious move from Olympus. The investment in development of the SHG lenses must have been considerable, and any product that can extend the life of what is arguably among the best zoom lenses designed by anyone, will give Olympus more payback on that investment. In addition, it may serve as a further boost to their image, having products in their range that are beyond most people's need, but showing off Olympus' capabilities.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just today I was comparing my E5 and EM5 (OMD whatever---what a name??). I put my trusty 12-60 on both. And...could not find a difference in pictures' quality. Any focal length, any aperture--the only difference is that EM5 pictures at 100% are a little bigger--by 15% linear to be exact. And that 15% does not show any extra detail. The pix I took at 200 ISO, and presumably EM5 would behave better than E5 at 1600 ISO. How much better, and whether it would be only thanks to denoise in-camera algorithms--I do not know.
Then I put the 12-35/2.8 on my EM5 and 14-35/2 on my E5. And guess what--again the pictures are almost the same quality across all f-lengths and apertures. (I tested 14-25-35 at 2/2.8-4-6.3). Almost, because the 14-35/2 I compared wide open at f2 to 12-35/2.8 wide open at f2.8 (set to 14 mm, also a handicap, there is a 14mm mark on the lens!). Judging by MTFs the big glass would perform better on the edges and in the corners but I did not do such comparisons.
This weekend I'll put the big glass on EM5, I am curious if there will be any extra resolution to be found there.
Yes, I am waiting for E7. I think it'll be a worthy upgrade over E5 only if the sensor is more mpix than the 16 of EM5. The actual benefit won't be visible until doubling of the pixel count from 12mpix to 24mpix. Unfortunately 20 mpix is more likely, to keep in line with the APS-C Sony sensor developments. Putting the current EM5 sensor into E7 just won't do...
As for EVF, to be able to use all the wonderful SHG glass there must be a capability for phase detection. So either the Sony way of translucent mirror, or a new hybrid sensor with phase detection pixels.
I am actually quite happy with the mirror from E5 and don't necessarily look for it to be removed. More important is the +20mpix sensor count and better noise control in the shadows, even at low ISO. Here the 4/3 sensor still lags behind full frames.
While I have the same opinion WRT MP count in an upcoming E7, I would not hold my breath that this sensor will have more than 16MP. Simply because this seems to be the best you can get today from such a sensor size. Maybe in a next sensor generation there would be even 24MP possible.

Best I can think is the 16MP sensor with integrated PDAF, which would already help a lot. But then it would mean that the new model would be mirroless which I cannot believe keeping in mind the still not pro-quality EVFs available today.

Overall I would be satisfied with the 16MP sensor of the EM5 and a much faster (new) PDAF in the E7, which finally makes the SHG glass really fast! And maybe also some newer revisions of their SHG glass with integrated SWD.

But we will see. Will be interesting.

nugat

E5 vs EM5 and conclusions for E7

Today I put my 14-35/2 Zuiko on E5 and EM5 and then the 12-35/2.8 Lumix on EM5.
By no means a scientific test but sufficient for me to reach practical conclusions.
The 14-35/2 SHG Zuiko is an extraordinary glass (as if I did not know...).
When on EM5 it beats Panasonic 12-35/2.8 visibly at all apertures, all focal lengths and across the frame. And the panny 12-35/2.8 is a great lens by all means!
Yesterday when testing E5 and EM5 with my beloved 12-60/2.8-4 Zuiko, I reached a premature conclusion that there is no gain in resolution increase from 12mpix to 16mpix. Well, today I put the big glass SHG 14-35 Zuiko on both and it turns out that yesterday its smaller brother was the limiting factor. There is a difference going from 12 mpix to 16 mpix but only when the amazing SHG Zuiko is on. The difference is not big. I saw some hints in some parts of the pictures, but could only see the difference clearly when cranking up the zoom to 300%. More pixels with new details show up here and there.Nothing critical and probably won't transfer to print at all, but...It means that the SHG Zuikos still await their performance ceiling sensors and that 16mpix is probably not there yet.
Putting SHG glass on EM5 is an ergonomical torture. The SHG line needs a better body, E5 is almost there as ergonomics is concerned. The only changes on E7 I'd expect is introduction of dedicated dials for AF and exposure modes (like on Nikon 700). Other than that it's a perfect body for my feeling hands...

etrigan63

This adds another fork in the crossroads I am at. I was just about settled with jumping ship from Nikon back to Canon (5D Mk III) and now this comes along. I shall now have to see what Olympus is going to offer by way of a pro body. Their SHG glass is certainly first rate.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
E5 ergonomics I always liked! What I did not like was AF speed - even with SHG glass and also higher than ISO 1600. And in the end the SHG glass needs a higher resolution sensor - I agree that it would be nice to see 24MP, albeit I doubt we are there today with sensor evolution. Maybe in 2 years?

So I would be happy with a 16MP sensor for now, if only there would be also a future E9 or whatever in 2 years with a 20-24MP sensor. Then I would be perfectly happy!

But the issue is, that I was burned so often by Olympus in my photography life, that I really do not want to believe them another time. Maybe this is wrong now, but it is where I have ended up. Buying into some "cheap" m43 system is one thing, but putting all eggs again in a pro E7 SHG glass bucket is a different thing.

So not sure what is coming from Olympus and also not sure where I will end up finally. But for now I am a happy camper in a different high end pro haven.

Peter