The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone have G5 yet?

clay stewart

I've been anxious to hear about the silent shutter mode and any limitations when using it, but can't seem to find anyone writing about it yet. I've read about certain flash limitations, but that's it. I can't even find a utube video with the sound of the silent shutter, though I'm not sure I could hear it anyway:D.

Anyone have any info?

V

Vivek

I am curious about the shutter as well. It isn't widely available here, yet.

M

michaelnel

I have had my G5 since last Friday. I don't like the silent shutter. It is truly silent. There is NO audible or vibratory indication you have made the shot at all. Too weird, I can't use it.

That's about the only thing I don't like about the camera though.

V

Vivek

That is excellent news indeed! :thumbs:

How about you set the "Auto review" to something other than "OFF"?

It will slow down the snaps but would give an indication of the shot taken.

jnewell

I have had my G5 since last Friday. I don't like the silent shutter. It is truly silent. There is NO audible or vibratory indication you have made the shot at all. Too weird, I can't use it.

Are there any functional restrictions using that shutter?

M

michaelnel

All the manual says is this:

The electronic shutter can reduce the picture blur. Moreover, you can take pictures without the shutter sound when the camera is used in a quiet location.

Settings: [ON]/[OFF]

Note
• Flash is fixed to [OE] ([Forced Flash Off]).
• If a subject is moving or your hands are shaking, the subject may appear distorted on the picture taken. Use of a tripod is recommended.
• [Electronic Shutter] is disabled when [Burst Rate] is set to [SH].
• You can turn off the shutter sound at [E-Shutter Vol] in [Beep]. (P71)
• Be sure to pay special attention to the privacy, the likeness rights, etc. of the subject when you use this function. Use at your own risk

That's all I know about it, it's not a feature I am likely to use again. I *like* to hear the shutter working.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had a brief look at the G5 yesterday, and it's a beautiful, little camera. It does lack some of the functionality of my GH1 (less buttons), but it's smaller while still fitting very nicely in my hand. Unfortunately, it isn't available as body only in this country, but I'm still tempted by it as a temporary solution while I wait for the GH3 (unless I change to Fuji altogether, but that's another story).

D

Dan_M

Interesting. As someone who shoots a lot of wildlife, I very much welcome a silent shutter and it's one of the main reasons that I'm looking at the G5.

The silent shutter combined with a Panny 100-300mm and a light tripod would make a fine critter camera (with the possible exception of birds in flight). I would imagine the noiseless shutter would have lots of silent environment applications as well.

Paul

Last edited:
D

Drtmw

Hi,

I have a G 5 and have used the elec shutter almost exclusively since I got it. My shots have been mostly landscapes to date so subject movement has not been an issue. It IS possible to set a sound for the shutter (wrench/spanner menu) -indeed it has 3 levels. These including silent and 2 volume levels. The sound I use is the loudest - it is still very quiet - and sounds like a classic leaf shutter. Very nice.

The elec shutter does work with the in-camera HDR feature; three exposures are taken in quick succession. So far I like the results from that, but its a very "mild" HDR.

In most all other ways this is a big upgrade to my old G3 (for sale by the way). For me what matters are the much better LCD, the automatic EVF/LCD switch, the level gauge, and of course much better ergonomics. I think the image quality is better, too, but have not really pushed it.

Cheers,

Tom

ggibson

Some folks have mentioned that the electronic shutter is also helpful in reducing some shake movement caused by a physical shutter--enough to gain a maybe stop or two in hand-held ability. Anyone else have this experience?

Also, how about video? Is it close to the GH2 levels?

peterb

B&H in NYC is offering a rather unusual deal on the G5.

If you get the body only there's a $100 instant rebate bringing it to $598 from $698.

If you get the body with the 14-42mm vario zoom, however, there's a $200 rebate that brings it to $598 from $798$!

Maybe I'm missing something here but looks like today you get a lens for free!

lumix g5| B&H Photo Video

bennettk

There are several online dealers right now offering the G5 with the kit lens for the same or slightly lower price than the body only. Amazon comes to mind.

We just upgraded my wife from the G1 to the G5, and I'm seriously tempted to get one as a second camera to my GH2. The still image quality is excellent, and for $400 (slightly used) it's quite a bargain. Of course the G7 will be announced shortly according to the 43rumors site, but having a bargain model in hand versus waiting months for a new one seems like a no-brainer.

biomed

I have the GH3 and the electronic shutter is virtually silent. With all of the beeps off it makes for a very stealthy camera.

bennettk

I just got back from shooting a church service, using my wife's G5 on silent mode. Man, that thing rocks -- totally and completely silent.

BigOwl

One other comment about the silent shutter: I noticed the ISO settings above 1600 are locked out when using the electronic shutter. Not sure if there is a way to override that limit. And I haven't found how to change the beep level for the electronic shutter as was mentioned in earlier posts. Mine is barely audible and will be fine for me, but I'd like to know how to adjust it.

Elliot

Not a silent shutter comment, but I just bought the G5 kit with two lenses (14-42 and 45-150) and thought a photo might be in order. I tried out my Olympus m. Zuiko 40-150mm f4-5.6 to make sure my hand is still steady enough for it (without stabilization) and it worked out okay.

Is there a "Fun with Panasonic G5" thread? I didn't find one, so I suppose one is in order.