The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on OM-D travel lens combo for upcoming trip to Europe

Joe Blackwood

I'm off to Crete next week and have similar dilemmas.
I've changed my 100-300 for the Oly 75-300, and that'll definitely be coming along for wildlife etc. the 45 f1.8 and the 20 f1.7 because they're small and useful. the 9-18 for wide angle . . . I can't decide whether to take the 12-35 or the 12-50 kit.
One nice thing is that even bringing all of these lenses only fills a small bag . . . I remember going with a D2x, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and lugging all that lot around!

all the best
Jono,

How do you like the Oly 75-300 compared to the Panasonic 100-300? :toocool:

I know that it is smaller. How are the images from the new lens?

Have a great trip to Crete...

jlm

Workshop Member
not Jono, but...
here's one from the 75-300, hand held, probably at 300mm

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono,

How do you like the Oly 75-300 compared to the Panasonic 100-300? :toocool:

I know that it is smaller. How are the images from the new lens?

Have a great trip to Crete...
Hi Joe
I have a definite feeling about the difference between the images . . but I suspect it might be more to do with the feel of the lenses.

To be honest, without real and serious comparisons, I'm not sure there's much difference . . I changed for two reasons:
1. Size
2. Occasional aperture rattle on the OMD with the 100-300
3. I prefer the more 'analogue' feel of the Zuiko lenses (and if you understand that you can explain it back to me!).

. . . sorry, that's three reasons

Tim

This thread got me to thinking does anyone travel or use an OM-D with 12 f2.0 / 20 f2.0 /45 f1.8 combo? Its a nice set of compact HQ primes. The "problem lens" is the expensive 12mm.

This would be a similar set to the original Contax G2 kit with 21mm/45mm/90mm

The digital version would be a bit more "risky" if you had a lot of lens changes with dust incursion.

JMaher

Jono,

1) You take great shots with the 100-300
2) GAS set in
3) I buy the 100-300
4) You sell the 100-300 and buy something else.

Apparently I can't keep up:)

Actually I purchased the 100-300 a few weeks ago but have only had time to do a few test shots. They look great and I understood going in that the 75- 300 may have been a better choice (and maybe not) but I bought the 100-300 at a good price from another forum member and its a range didn't think I would use often. I'm happy with it and it was a great choice for me. I have attached one of the test shots. Nothing great but my first day with it, handheld and at ISO 6400.

Congrats on the 75-300. The photo you posted above is excellent.

Jim

To be on topic for one second - when I travel I usually find something like the 12-50 (or if I owned it the 12-35) zoom and the 25 1.4 for low light cover most of my needs.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono,

1) You take great shots with the 100-300
2) GAS set in
3) I buy the 100-300
4) You sell the 100-300 and buy something else.

Apparently I can't keep up:)

Actually I purchased the 100-300 a few weeks ago but have only had time to do a few test shots. They look great and I understood going in that the 75- 300 may have been a better choice (and maybe not) but I bought the 100-300 at a good price from another forum member and its a range didn't think I would use often. I'm happy with it and it was a great choice for me. I have attached one of the test shots. Nothing great but my first day with it, handheld and at ISO 6400.

Congrats on the 75-300. The photo you posted above is excellent.
LOL - sorry Jim - absolutely NOTHING wrong with the 100-300, it's faster as well, I only changed for the size, and the fact that my particular body was particularly subject to aperture chatter- which I found pretty irritating. (having got another body which is much better, that complaint seems to go away).

I don't think the 75-300 has better image quality, and the difference in size isn't that big a deal!

I was sending lots of kit to ebay, and it just seemed like a good idea at the time!

all the best

nugat

bobby,
you already have the two lenses needed for your task. Landscape and architecture you do with the 14/2.8 that is great at f5.6
For people 20/1.7 is perfect.
If you have too much money you might want to get the 45/1.8 for portraits if you do any and Lensababy tilt&shift for architecture.

bensonga

Just back from my trip to France. Since half the trip was on a bicycle, I decided to keep it very simple.....a GH-2 and one lens, the 12-35/2.8.

The pictures look very good, but there were many, many times when I was wishing for a longer lens. Should have brought the 14-140 or even the 100-300. Lesson learned. :-(

jonoslack

Just back from three weeks in Crete - I left the 14-150 behind, and really regretted it.
Travel zooms are not named that for nothing!

dhsimmonds

I am off to the Greek Cyclades Islands on Friday and I shall take my OMD with 12-50, Pana 100-300 and Pana-Leica 45.2.8 macro.

This will be backed up with Fuji XPro1, 18 and 35mm lenses.

The 14-150 would be nice......................!! ;)

convexferret

You already have the 14 and 20, that's the wide end covered. Just buy the 45 and you'll be carrying the same kit I carry every day. It's very light and of high quality and a very small extra investment. There's no need to complicate things.

I am planning a trip to Barcelona in about a month. I think I'll take two DMC-G3 bodies - one with the 14-140mm, the other with either the 20mm f1.7 or 25mm 1.4 Summilux. Probably the 20mm.

Thanks for getting the neurons firing in that direction.

Reed
My Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

httivals

The problem for me with the system now is the lack of a high quality 70-200mm equivalent zoom -- soon to be solved with the release of the 35-100mm Panasonic. That lens and the 12mm or 14mm and 20mm or 25mm primes will make a great travel kit.

jonoslack

I am planning a trip to Barcelona in about a month. I think I'll take two DMC-G3 bodies - one with the 14-140mm, the other with either the 20mm f1.7 or 25mm 1.4 Summilux. Probably the 20mm.

Thanks for getting the neurons firing in that direction.

Reed
My Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com
The problem for me with the system now is the lack of a high quality 70-200mm equivalent zoom -- soon to be solved with the release of the 35-100mm Panasonic. That lens and the 12mm or 14mm and 20mm or 25mm primes will make a great travel kit.
For normal, planned photo opportunities I'd agree, but for travel, the 14-150 Zuiko is really good - excellent quality, small and very flexible. I didn't take mine to Crete, and regretted it. Now I'm in Cornwall trying out Leica R lenses . . I left the 28-90 at home and am regretting that.

For me, travel photography is about being flexible and grabbing whatever comes up - a wide range zoom makes this possible, and the small sacrifice of quality is rarely of much importance (sure, I carry a couple of primes as well . . and sure, in normal circumstances I shoot primes).

all the best

dhsimmonds

Although I took my Fuji X1Pro to the Cyclades, I only used it for 15 shots...some of those were also taken with the OMD and Oly 12-50 and I preferred them! I used the 100-300 for only a few more shots than I took with the X1Pro and the Leica 45mm macro not at all!

I would have liked a bit more reach on the 12-60, so the 14-150 would have been perfect. I also intend to get the Oly 9-18 in preference to the Pana 7-14 as it is much smaller and will enable filters which the Oly does not.

On the subject of Pana 100-300 v Oly 75-300, the old hands at m4/3rds tell me that the Oly is much slower to focus, with a slower max aperture but with otherwise no discernible difference in IQ.

My Fuji X1Pro is going up for sale!!!

bensonga

Figured I would post one pic here from our trip to France in September.

The kit I took (GH2 and the 12-35/2.8 lens) worked great, but as noted above, I should have brought a longer focal length zoom also.

From a small town in Provence. I used this image for a recent color print exchange.

slau

I am going thru the same thought process right now too (for 6 days in Paris and a week long bicycle trip thru southern France in mid-September). I have an OMD, but haven't used it enough to be comfortable with the menus etc, so probably won't take it. That leaves me with the Panasonic GH-2. I'm trying to decide which of these four Panasonic lenses to take: 14-45, 14-140 HD, 20/1.7 and 14/2.5. I hadn't really thought about taking a backup body, but perhaps I should (a G1), although it means carrying extra batteries, charger etc.

I've been very happy with the 14-45 on my G1, but I haven't used the 14-140 HD lens very much. I (and perhaps the OP also) would appreciate thoughts of some one with experience with this lens. It's certainly a useful focal length range.

Gary
As much as I dislike the 14-140 lens, it has been my most used lens while I was traveling. Nothing can touch the range of the lens and its IQ is acceptable if there is enough light for you to stop down to f8 or so. The 14-140 is practically for all outside shooting. The low light indoor shots will be the job for the 20/1.7.

I have been in the same boat as you before. My recommendation will be the GH2+14-140+20/1.7.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This thread seems to go on forever, so here's my take:

Normally, when travelling, I ususally take one WA zoom (always the Pana 7-14), one normal zoom (used to be the PanaLeica 14-50/2.8-3.5 but for my next trip, I'll try out the Pana 14-45/3.5-5.6) and one relatively long portait lens (used to be the Zeiss CY 85/1.4, but that has now been replaced by the Zuiko 75/1.8).

When I've bought the lenses that I plan to buy for m4/3, my setup will probably change to:

Pana 7-14/4
Zuiko 17/1.8
Zuiko 45/1.8 (may be replaced by the Pana 42.5/1.2 when it becomes available)
Zuiko 75/1.8

I do prefer primes for travel, since I mostly have enough time to choose a framing that is suitable for the lenses that I have available. The reward is the ability to shoot at very wide apertures when needed and ultimate image quality. The exception from the rule is ultra-WA, which is mostly used for landscapes and architecture, where the ability to move around is often restricted in relation to the photo I want to shoot.

I often travel with two camera bodies, currently 2 x GH1, but that may change to GH2 plus E-PL5 in the near future. If I shoot mostly landscape or architecture, the 7-14 is permanent on one body while lenses will vary on the other. If I shoot mainly street (portraits), the 75 will be permanent on one body, and so on...

"Unfortunately" part of my E-PL5 budget went into a mint Nikkor 28mm 2.0 AI last night, a lens that I've wanted for the F6 for some time now, and that might even find it's way onto m4/3 as well, replacing the OM Zuiko 28mm 2.8 that has been my "normal" lens so far.

Did this look confusing to you? It most certainly did to me :loco: