The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on OM-D travel lens combo for upcoming trip to Europe

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So here is my current pick (obviously changes over time as more lens choices become available):

7-14 Pana
12-35 Pana
35-100 Pana

Before the availability of the 12-35 Pana I would have chosen the 1.4/25 PanaLeica. This might be in my bag anyway as I prefer a really fast and high quality lens.

Wight is a NO ISSUE with m43 coming from Nikon FF or Hasselblad :)

BTW since the availability and great reports of the GH3 this might become my camera (system) of choice and mid term also replace all my Nikon gear. Too bad that Olympus cannot come up with a pro like body as the GH3.

dhsimmonds

Peter, this seems a very good selection of lenses.
Personally I would very much miss the opportunity to fit a filter to the 7-14 which is why I went for the very compact Oly 9-18. ;)

I would like to know why you think that the GH3 is more professional than the OMD though? Unless of course you are using it for video work then I might agree! :)

dhsimmonds

I shall be off for a long trip during January. The nice thing about m4/3rds kit is that I can take everything!!! The total weight of my bag is well below the 6Kg maximum cabin baggage limit of the airline carrier....hooray!!:D

So my bag will consist of:
2 x OMD bodies
Oly 9-14
Oly 14-150
Oly 12-100 for when it's wet!!
Pana Leica 45 macro
Pana 100-300
Oly 600R flash

I will chose which lens or lenses to use on the day according to assignment. For wildlife I will take both OMD bodies, one fitted with the 100-300, the other with the 12-100.

For most other touristy things it will be the 14-150 that get's used most, I bet!:cool:

convexferret

This thread got me to thinking does anyone travel or use an OM-D with 12 f2.0 / 20 f2.0 /45 f1.8 combo? Its a nice set of compact HQ primes. The "problem lens" is the expensive 12mm.

This would be a similar set to the original Contax G2 kit with 21mm/45mm/90mm

The digital version would be a bit more "risky" if you had a lot of lens changes with dust incursion.
14/25/45 is my travel combo and works beautifully. It's as light as it gets and all elnses are sharp. The 12/20/45 would work similarly.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, this seems a very good selection of lenses.
Personally I would very much miss the opportunity to fit a filter to the 7-14 which is why I went for the very compact Oly 9-18. ;)

I would like to know why you think that the GH3 is more professional than the OMD though? Unless of course you are using it for video work then I might agree! :)
I never held a GH3 in hand, but from the form factor and having owned a E5 I think the GH3 is much more WRT handling than the E5. Which the OMD is not!

Sure the OMD is small and this is appealing, as is the retro look. But for daily shooting I hionestly would prefer something like a mini E5. Which again the GH3 seems to be. Need to get my hands on one ;)

Also the GH3 has the faster processing and better video capabilities, which also adds to more professional "feeling". And I am more getting into video - which I never had thought some 1-2 years ago :D

Just my 5c

jonoslack

I never held a GH3 in hand, but from the form factor and having owned a E5 I think the GH3 is much more WRT handling than the E5. Which the OMD is not!

Sure the OMD is small and this is appealing, as is the retro look. But for daily shooting I hionestly would prefer something like a mini E5. Which again the GH3 seems to be. Need to get my hands on one ;)

Also the GH3 has the faster processing and better video capabilities, which also adds to more professional "feeling". And I am more getting into video - which I never had thought some 1-2 years ago :D

Just my 5c
Hi Peter
Well, size doesn't come into professional from my point of view . . . but toughness does, having used my OMD in pouring rain without mishap and having slammed it, base plate first, from 5 ft onto a sharp rock with all my body weight behind it (I fell on some scree you understand). . . and for it to carry on working properly . . THAT's my definition of professional body! I'm not convinced that the GH3 would put up with that treatment (if it would, it'd be the first panasonic ever that does).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter
Well, size doesn't come into professional from my point of view . . . but toughness does, having used my OMD in pouring rain without mishap and having slammed it, base plate first, from 5 ft onto a sharp rock with all my body weight behind it (I fell on some scree you understand). . . and for it to carry on working properly . . THAT's my definition of professional body! I'm not convinced that the GH3 would put up with that treatment (if it would, it'd be the first panasonic ever that does).
Maybe your treatment is a bit too much :) but I would say if the GH3 is not at least as tough as the OMD then there must be something wrong with that whole new design. I believe it is the first of a new pro direction cameras from Panasonic and I do hope I am not wrong ....

jonoslack

Maybe your treatment is a bit too much :) but I would say if the GH3 is not at least as tough as the OMD then there must be something wrong with that whole new design. I believe it is the first of a new pro direction cameras from Panasonic and I do hope I am not wrong ....
Well, maybe it is as tough (how can I possibly know) Olympus have been making professional quality cameras for decades, Panasonic have not, but it's also much (much) bigger . . . Surely the whole point of µ43 is the size . . .

Size Comparison

But the real point is the sensor - like the rest of us, with each iteration of the Panasonic sensors - promised to be so much of an improvement, the lightly AA filtered Sony sensor in the OMD is a revelation.

But this all hinges around the definition of 'professional', and it seems that perhaps you mean BIG and I mean TOUGH!

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, maybe it is as tough (how can I possibly know) Olympus have been making professional quality cameras for decades, Panasonic have not, but it's also much (much) bigger . . . Surely the whole point of µ43 is the size . . .

Size Comparison

But the real point is the sensor - like the rest of us, with each iteration of the Panasonic sensors - promised to be so much of an improvement, the lightly AA filtered Sony sensor in the OMD is a revelation.

But this all hinges around the definition of 'professional', and it seems that perhaps you mean BIG and I mean TOUGH!

all the best
I agree that the point of m43 is size, but I would have loved the OMD to just be a tiny bit bigger with a better integrated grip. Actually the size comparison shows that the GH3 is only a tiny bit bigger that the OMD, but much better to hold (at least from the impression I get from the pictures). I may be wrong but I do think I am right - time will tell.

It looks a bit like a mini E5 and one of the most important things I liked about the E5 was how well it fitted in my hands. Which I cannot say about the OMD - at least not without battery grip mounted. I would love that Oly finally could build such a m43 camera - mE5 ;)

Sure the final thing is the quality of the sensor and processing engines, so we need to wait. But at least from what we know so far it looks really promising.

jonoslack

I agree that the point of m43 is size, but I would have loved the OMD to just be a tiny bit bigger with a better integrated grip. Actually the size comparison shows that the GH3 is only a tiny bit bigger that the OMD, but much better to hold (at least from the impression I get from the pictures). I may be wrong but I do think I am right - time will tell.

It looks a bit like a mini E5 and one of the most important things I liked about the E5 was how well it fitted in my hands. Which I cannot say about the OMD - at least not without battery grip mounted. I would love that Oly finally could build such a m43 camera - mE5 ;)

Sure the final thing is the quality of the sensor and processing engines, so we need to wait. But at least from what we know so far it looks really promising.
Well Peter . . if I were happy with the size of the GH3, then I'd simply grab an D800 or an A99, because it's not that much bigger, has a Sony sensor, and it's full frame. The point of µ43 to me is that it's small . . . of course, if I were shooting video it might be different.
I simply don't see what's more 'pro' about the GH3? . . . unless it's size . . . . anyway, the GH3 has a popup flash, and it's a well known fact that NO pro level camera has a popup flash :) . . .. and 5 programmable function buttons! Talk about feature bloat!

It's taken me a few years to move my muscle memory down from expecting a D2x to an OMD, and I'm not planning to go back in the other direction!

I suspect that when Olympus do bring out a 'pro' OMD, then the only difference from the current one will be the size and the price - (same sensor, same menu, same sealing, same magnesium alloy body) Of course, I could be wrong!

For video it's different . . .but even dPreview don't seem very convinced: I'm not sure I should post this, but it's directly from their preview conclusions

Once you're looking at a sensor design that has yet to show it can progress beyond 16MP, in a camera body that is now only slightly more compact than an enthusiast APS-C DSLR like the 24MP Sony SLT-A77, the benefits of buying into a Micro Four Thirds system really come down to feature set. And buyers for whom broadcast video production is not a priority may be less swayed than they would have been by a smaller body. Another big question in the ever-competitive enthusiast market is whether Panasonic can deliver on significant advances in image quality and high ISO performance. We won't know of course, until we have a production model in our hands and give it our thorough testing. We look forward to finding out.

not very enthusiastic praise. Olympus, with their Sony sensor seem to have a tick on image quality and size . . . of course, if you want to shoot video?

Last edited:

ohnri

I keep the 2 part grip on my EM5 at all times as I find it too small otherwise.

My GH3 does not seem any larger than my EM5 + grip. However, I find the GH3 to be a lot more comfortable and with better ergonomics.

I can't agree at all with those that compare the size of a GH3 to that of a FF Nikon.

Yesterday, I shot a gymnastics meet with my GH3 and the 12-35 and the 35-100.

Today, I shot an Olympic athlete visiting a school with my D4, the 24-70 and the 70-200.

Granted, the D4 is a big camera but the lenses are also big and heavy.

In any case, I am loving the GH3 and it has become my go to micro 4/3's camera. And that is despite the alien technology IBIS in the EM5.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com

jonoslack

I keep the 2 part grip on my EM5 at all times as I find it too small otherwise.
Like you, I've spent much time with big Nikons and the standard 24-70 and 70-200 zooms . . . . but unlike you I've learned to love the ungripped EM5. it's just practice.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Size Comparison

all the best
Jono,

need to come back to the size differences:

1) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 is 10% (11.9 mm) wider and 4% (3.8 mm) taller than Olympus OM-D E-M5.
2) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 is 96% (40.1 mm) thicker than Olympus OM-D E-M5.
3) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 [550 g] weights 38% (150 grams) more than Olympus OM-D E-M5 [400 g]

I would consider this not a too big difference, still pretty small and lightweight. I actually see the OMD to be a bit to lightweight anyway for comfortable shooting if I do serious work. But sure, opinions may differ.

Comparing the GH3 with a popular and considerably small APSC like D7000 shows, that the APSC is much taller and heavier than the GH3:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Comparing a GH3 with a FF DSLR like the D800 shows even more how small the GH3 is and it is almost half the weight:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Sure there are different requirements and preferences from photographers, but I would not consider the GH3 as big and in the same league WRT size and weight as APSC DSLRs and DSLRs.

Now where the real difference and advantage in size and weight from m43 comes is from the lenses. These are considerably smaller and allow for small and lightweight kit.

Looking forward to feel a GH3 in my hands ;)

Peter

ohnri

Like you, I've spent much time with big Nikons and the standard 24-70 and 70-200 zooms . . . . but unlike you I've learned to love the ungripped EM5. it's just practice.
Like you (I assume!) I do try to minimize my time with the big Nikon even though it's pure performance is a treat. I do hope that someone else eventually puts a decent buffer into a camera.

The ungripped EM5 is a, of course, a very small camera with very big performance. In fact, it was my EM5 that led me to sell my M9. It didn't hurt that I prefer my Olympus 75mm f/1.8 over my Summicron 75mm f/2.

I'm afraid my M9 just got squeezed out by the micro 4/3's world from below and the FF Nikon world from above. Even though the new M looks like a big advancement, it is probably too little and too late for me.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well Peter . . if I were happy with the size of the GH3, then I'd simply grab an D800 or an A99, because it's not that much bigger, has a Sony sensor, and it's full frame. The point of µ43 to me is that it's small . . . of course, if I were shooting video it might be different.
I simply don't see what's more 'pro' about the GH3? . . . unless it's size . . . . anyway, the GH3 has a popup flash, and it's a well known fact that NO pro level camera has a popup flash :) . . .. and 5 programmable function buttons! Talk about feature bloat!

It's taken me a few years to move my muscle memory down from expecting a D2x to an OMD, and I'm not planning to go back in the other direction!

I suspect that when Olympus do bring out a 'pro' OMD, then the only difference from the current one will be the size and the price - (same sensor, same menu, same sealing, same magnesium alloy body) Of course, I could be wrong!

For video it's different . . .but even dPreview don't seem very convinced: I'm not sure I should post this, but it's directly from their preview conclusions

Once you're looking at a sensor design that has yet to show it can progress beyond 16MP, in a camera body that is now only slightly more compact than an enthusiast APS-C DSLR like the 24MP Sony SLT-A77, the benefits of buying into a Micro Four Thirds system really come down to feature set. And buyers for whom broadcast video production is not a priority may be less swayed than they would have been by a smaller body. Another big question in the ever-competitive enthusiast market is whether Panasonic can deliver on significant advances in image quality and high ISO performance. We won't know of course, until we have a production model in our hands and give it our thorough testing. We look forward to finding out.

not very enthusiastic praise. Olympus, with their Sony sensor seem to have a tick on image quality and size . . . of course, if you want to shoot video?
Jono,
While it's true that the GH3 is about the same size as a Nikon D3200, it's important to remember that the Nikon is the smallest Nikon DSLR body with the slimmest set of features, while the Panasonic is the largest m4/3 body with an awesome feature set and pro build quality. Another important difference is that almost any lens that is used on the GH3 can also be used on an E-PL5 or E-PM2. Not only is the GH3 one of the smallest "pro" bodies around, but the system also has pocket sized alternatives, obsoleting the need for a point-and-shoot camera for many, including me.

When that is said, the size of the thing is one of the reasons why I chose to buy another GH1 and a GH2 instead. The image and video quality of the GH2 is very close to the GH3 anyway. It did also help that the price of those two bodies combined was 40% lower than one GH3 :D

rparmar

As a prime user, I would concur with those who suggest the 14 / 20 / 45 combination. I could never get away with using a slow zoom, even for outside. In fact, I've ditched the 20mm as well, and never notice the need for something in between the other lenses.

But everyone's different, which is why these questions cannot really be answered. It's also down to affordability. If I had the 75mm I might instead choose to carry 14 / 45 / 75.

This was taken on my most recent trip.

fair ground by robinparmar, on Flickr

ustein

Contributing Editor
>14-140 HD

Often this is the most flexible lens. At least for video. I think switching lenses often does not help.

>The image and video quality of the GH2 is very close to the GH3 anyway.

For stills that might be true, don't think for video. The GH2 needs at least to be hacked to be even in the ballpark of the GH3. I am thrilled about the Gh3 video (although some more moire/aliasing due to more details). Shadows are way more open with the GH3 using the new all I codecs. Also 60p at 1080p.

https://vimeo.com/55230058

Handling E-M5 vs. GH3: For me the GH3 is just right and I am glad that Panasonic opted for a slightly bigger body. You save on lenses.

m43

Panny 12-35 f2.8 + the 14-140 best combo 20/1.7 is good but not all that useful the 12-35 is so good
I used both in CA for 3 months for stills and video with the Oly EM-5 + full grip

Last edited:

BobbyTan

On a recent trip to Cambodia and Japan, I took my OM-D and 7-14/4 + 25/1.4 + 45/1.4 + 75/1.8 lenses. The 75/1.8 was on the camera most of the time, only because it's a freakingly sharp lens with incredible bokeh/blur quality.

I will be taking the same setup to Italy next month, but will add the 100-300 lens although I am not expecting to use it much.