The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who's been to Turkey? Should I bring full tripod or a GorillaPod?

B

bobby_t1

I used to have a D7000 and am primarily a landscape and architecture shooter when I travel.

Typically I shoot a mix of 50% landscapes (about 1/3 are HDR), 40% architecture, and 10% people. I like to shoot lowlight as well, with maybe 1/4 my architecture shots being at night.

I recently switched to a Olympus OM-D, and now my kit is so freakin' small, I'm re-evaluating whether I should bring my tripod. Granted, I do have a travel tripod (Benro CF travel angel). Even though it's 1.5lbs, it's still 1.5lbs I don't have to carry and could slim down what bag I bring as well to carry my gear (small domke instead of a backpack to strap the tripod to).

I expect to take a bunch of HDR landscapes and night shots, which require a tripod. However, I'm wondering whether I can get away with a GorillaPod. I have their "Focus" model leftover from when I had my dSLR, and it's pretty beefy, meant to hold "up to 11lbs" (which probably means 6lbs): JOBY GorillaPod Focus - Professional Tripod, Lightweight Camera and Video Tripod.

In fact, I was even thinking of buying one of their less beefy models since the OM-D is so small. Perhaps their "SLR Zoom" model: JOBY GorillaPod SLR-Zoom - Portable, flexible tripod for telephoto lens cameras

I'm mostly concerned about people's real world experience using a GorillaPod vs a real tripod, as well as whether or not I'll be SOL due to the gorillaPod being so short.

Any advice appreciated, especially if you've been to Turkey and familiar with the sights.

cjlacz

I haven't been to Turkey, so I can't give you advice here.

I do have the Joby SLR-Zoom with the Joby ball head. It's really still too big for m43s. I'd get the GorillaPod-Hybrid. Holds 1kg and seems more than stable enough with anything I have. OM-D and 75mm is fine. The 100-300/75-300 might be too much for it. Bring a remote for the HDRs. It's considerably smaller and lighter.

If it's a photography oriented trip I'd probably bring the tripod and the gorilla pod otherwise. If you have some shoots in mind you want to get you can probably figure out if the tripod is needed with a bit of research.

mediumcool

am primarily a landscape and architecture shooter when I travel.
The OP seems to be working on the assumption that there will invariably be a support to put the knobbly little three-legged thing on; a table or a post, perhaps? It’s not going to be fun shooting architecture and landscapes from a foot off the ground, I would have thought …

:bugeyes:

Glenn

You need to be aware that the major architectural sites in Turkey are extremely busy, which limits the use of tripods. I would also imagine that trying to fold a gorilla pod around some ancient roman or byzantine stonework would be frowned upon.

brianb032

I've been to Turkey several times and before I planned my first trip there I actually ran across the same dilemma as you. In the end I took a gorilla-pod-like device for use with my GH1, but I remember using it no more than half a dozen times within a span of 2 months. I prefer to travel only with carry-ons, so I ditched the whole gorilla-pod thing the second and third time around. If you must bring some sort of stabilization, I would recommend going small and light while making the most out of IBIS.

You'll probably be in Istanbul for a couple days, so I recommend visiting some of the lesser known neighborhoods like Dolapdere, Balat, and Fener. And even though you won't miss all the bigger mosques, I suggest you to not overlook Rüstem Pasha. It's not impressive from the outside, but the tile-work on the inside puts most of the others to shame. (There's a great story behind all the tiles and how they were accumulated too.) If you're meeting up with a large group, don't skip a meze either.

Aside from Istanbul, I've only ventured into to the regions around Izmir and Nevşehir, so I can't provide too many tips beyond that. I would love to visit Mardin sometime this or next year though. No matter where you go though, you'll have a great time in Turkey. This trip definitely won't be your last.

jlm

Workshop Member
bring a tripod. period

istanbul is an amazing city, have also been down to Bodrum, etc. great country