The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alternative lens hood for Oly 75mm 1.8

Tony C.

Having been repelled by both the price and size of the "official" Olympus lens hood for their (superb) new 75mm 1.8 lens, I stopped at B&H today, picked up a (58mm) B&W rubber hood, and am delighted with it.

First, it cost $18.95 (vs. $74.95). It is fully collapsable, and therefore adds only a few mm's of length when not in use (i.e no reason to take it off). So...lighter, much cheaper, and more convenient.

The only potential downsides that I can imagine are: soft (aside from the plastic ring), so not as protective of the lens; not as long or narrow as the Oly hood, so perhaps not as effective at preventing flare under some conditions; won't be as aesthetically pleasing to some eyes.

On balance, I couldn't be happier, and thought that as this terrific new lens begins to arrive here in the U.S., some might find this mini-review to be of use.

The SKU number for this hood at B&H is BWLHR58

Glenn

Having been repelled by both the price and size of the "official" Olympus lens hood for their (superb) new 75mm 1.8 lens, I stopped at B&H today, picked up a (58mm) B&W rubber hood, and am delighted with it.

First, it cost $18.95 (vs. $74.95). It is fully collapsable, and therefore adds only a few mm's of length when not in use (i.e no reason to take it off). So...lighter, much cheaper, and more convenient.

The only potential downsides that I can imagine are: soft (aside from the plastic ring), so not as protective of the lens; not as long or narrow as the Oly hood, so perhaps not as effective at preventing flare under some conditions; won't be as aesthetically pleasing to some eyes.

On balance, I couldn't be happier, and thought that as this terrific new lens begins to arrive here in the U.S., some might find this mini-review to be of use.

The SKU number for this hood at B&H is BWLHR58
Thanks for the information. I opted for a Chinese copy of the Oly hood from eBay. Came yesterday and is pretty good, probably made in the same factory as the Oly version.

I have just received the JJC hood, which I ordered before getting the original one from my favorite dealer.
Compared to the original one the color is sligltly warmer and the ad hoc lens cap is missing (the cap supplied with the lens cannot be used with the hood mounted).
Other than that nothing to complain and it is much cheaper.

Last edited: