The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH3... the one to get?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The link seems to have been pulled. Is this the same one? Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube

Also I wonder if anyone will sue them for calling their cameras "The First Digital Single Lens Mirrorless" cameras? hehehe... Leave it to Plastisonic to fudge things up. ;)

- - - - - -
BTW, the GH2 and the OMD sensors are so close it frigging hurts. There's nearly no difference as it is now. So the GH3 sensor would only need to be just a very little bit better than the GH2 in order match the OMD. Now, in-camera jpeg rendering is another question....
Yes, that's the video. It's also up on Vimeo now:

https://vimeo.com/49437111

I don't think anybody can challenge them on the "first EVIL camera" thing. The G1 really was the first, wasn't it?

henningw

Also I wonder if anyone will sue them for calling their cameras "The First Digital Single Lens Mirrorless" cameras? hehehe... Leave it to Plastisonic to fudge things up. ;)
Well, I had a digital camera a decade before the G1 that had only a single lens and no mirrors, and if you really want that to be interchangeable lenses, the Epson RD-1 seems to fit the bill.

They did some things first, but that wasn't it.

As for the GH3, I'll wait. I don't want larger and I don't always want more buttons, but if it is amazing, I'll look at it again.

Meanwhile, the OM-D and the GH2 seem like a decent pairing. I'm also waiting to see what that other Digital Single Lens Mirrorless, the Leica M10 will be like.

Henning

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, I had a digital camera a decade before the G1 that had only a single lens and no mirrors, and if you really want that to be interchangeable lenses, the Epson RD-1 seems to fit the bill.

They did some things first, but that wasn't it.

As for the GH3, I'll wait. I don't want larger and I don't always want more buttons, but if it is amazing, I'll look at it again.

Meanwhile, the OM-D and the GH2 seem like a decent pairing. I'm also waiting to see what that other Digital Single Lens Mirrorless, the Leica M10 will be like.

Henning
Panasonic can always claim that there's a lens in the viewfinder of a rangefinder camera.

As for buttons, the more the merrier, at least for me. The GH3 starts to resemble a Pentax K5 for button count. 5 Fn buttons is quite a feat for such a small camera. Sizewise, the Panasonic is slightly smaller than the Pentax and 200g lighter. So it boils down to what kind of viewfinder one prefers, what lenses are in the dry cabinet already and if the video functionality of the GH3 is more important than the (the presumably better for sports photography) phase detect AF of the Pentax. Oh... and the articulated LCD :)

The real alternative for me would be the A99 which brings full frame into the equation, but although the body isn't very heavy, the Zeiss lenses are, and they're expensive too, as is the body.

V

Vivek

The real alternative for me would be the A99 which brings full frame into the equation, but although the body isn't very heavy, the Zeiss lenses are, and they're expensive too, as is the body.
I would consider the Canon 6D. The body is inexpensive for a FF camera and you can use all your F mount lenses via adapters.

V

Vivek

Really? I thought Oly was way first on that?

Oh well, guess not... :p
It was the G1 which is the first EVIL camera.

The EP1 is an IL and did not really blend. After many long years, even Olympus gave up on that for their top of the line cam which still lacks the flexibility (swivel LCD) of a G1 or the latest GH-3.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would consider the Canon 6D. The body is inexpensive for a FF camera and you can use all your F mount lenses via adapters.
The 6D looks nice but can't replace the Panasonic for me since there's no EVF. It is of course an alternative to the D600, but I lose AF on the Nikkors and I'm keeping the F6... I think.

I won't buy FF digital for many months yet, so I have time to consider. Could of course use the Contax RX for film and get rid of the F6. Hmmmm....

V

Vivek

dpreview has gone beserk and can't even cut and paste the specs properly (the one thing they used well) . The camera is far more capable than what dpreview lists.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
dpreview has gone beserk and can't even cut and paste the specs properly (the one thing they used well) . The camera is far more capable than what dpreview lists.
There seems to be full confusion around a few specs, among other things, if the sensor is oversized for multiple aspect ratios or not. In the text, dpr claims that it is, but the tech specs both at their website and at Panasonic's indicates no such feature. It would seem strange not to include it, since it's a popular feature, but who knows :confused:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There seems to be full confusion around a few specs, among other things, if the sensor is oversized for multiple aspect ratios or not. In the text, dpr claims that it is, but the tech specs both at their website and at Panasonic's indicates no such feature. It would seem strange not to include it, since it's a popular feature, but who knows :confused:
If you look onto their website it shows that the sensor can do multiple aspect ratios. Also the EVF can display 16:9.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you look onto their website it shows that the sensor can do multiple aspect ratios. Also the EVF can display 16:9.
Most mirrorless cameras can do that, but what was special with the GH1/2 was that the 16 : 9 and 3 : 2 aspect ratios had more pixels, longest side, so that they were still 16MP (12MP for the GH1).

Here's the data from the Panasonic homepage for the GH3:

[4:3] 4,608 x 3,456 (L), 3,264 x 2,448 (M), 2,336 x 1,752 (S), 1,824 x 1,368 (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)
[3:2] 4,608 x 3,072 (L), 3,264 x 2,176 (M), 2,336 x 1,560 (S), 1,824 x 1,216 (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)
[16:9] 4,608 x 2,592 (L), 3,264 x 1,840 (M), 1,920 x 1,080 (S), 1,824 x 1,024 (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)
[1:1] 3,456 x 3,456 (L), 2,448 x 2,448 (M), 1,744 x 1,744 (S), 1,712 x 1,712 (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)

Ah... dpr seems to have removed the paragraph about the multiaspect sensor now.

Tesselator

The body looks just about perfect IMHO! They've molded it in every way I would have had I the ability; so size and shape are looking right!

The continuous speed is severely lacking tho! What, only 6fps? Not 12 or 20? I usually tell myself 8fps is the lower limit for usability - although so much depends on the buffer size. If that's 6fps with only 15 or less RAW frames then I'm like WTF?!?!? but if it's around 30 or so that could be useful. Of course all that said it actually says 20FPS on page two ( http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3/2 )... so ummm, which is it I wonder? Maybe that 20fps is like the GH2's 40fps?

I'm glad they kept it at 16mp - which I think is already edging toward too much. Just my opinion - and based on diffraction limitations and file-size.

The three buttons across the top behind the shutter release look ill-placed but I guess the proof will be in the use of the thing.

Sore points, surprises, and stupidness IMO:
Still no IBIS,
Still limited to 1/4000s
Still a 128s limit on bulb (no matter what)
X is still too low at 1/160s.
USB 2.0 - Not 3.0? Really?
EC is still ±5 EV and not ±7

The weather sealing, increased body size, the now adequate video recording rate, and the built-in intervalometer are all welcome additions tho! :)

I wonder if and by how much the DR will be improved?

Last edited:

Tesselator

Don't tell me your sashimi is moving so fast you need more than 6fps to capture it :shocked:
No, but for BIFs 8fps is really needed. Not to mention creative high-res stop-motion effects. 8FPS with live AF (or ≥12fps with no AF) is really useful! Even for street photography - bursts of 5 to 7 frames at 12 to 15 FPS can catch moments single shots can't. Pick the postures and expressions you like and toss the other 6. :) And then of course there's sports and kid photography which is really leveled up by a fast continuous drive! I think most µ4/3 shooters are doing mostly still-life mostly because current models (besides the OM-D) can't cope. No?

- - -- -- - -- - --- ---- -- - -
Another thing on the plus-side of the GH3 is the optional grip and plate connections! DPR reads:
DPR said:
The camera's tripod socket is aligned with the center of the lens mount, positioned far enough from the handgrip to allow for a battery change when the GH3 is attached to a tripod plate.

The electronic connectors (shown here with cover removed) are for communication the GH3's optional vertical grip.
Pretty nice aye!?!