The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can I use a Canon flash on the Oly OM-D?

bradhusick

Just wondering if I could use a small Canon flash (270EX) on the OM-D and not hurt either? If I can, must i use it in purely manual mode?

Thanks!

JMaher

I suspect it may work in manual mode but Canon has its own pin structure so I am not sure. Now if you had a flash (example Nikon SB-800) that has an auto mode as well as ETTL you should be able to set it up to work like we used to do in the era of film cameras with the flash doing all the heavy lifting. I have done that with other cameras and it worked fine.

I have used a Canon 550 with the OM-D but with a flash trigger in manual mode (off camera) and that worked fine.

Jim

L

Lenshead

Yes

I use a Canon 580EX II with my EM-5. I bought the Alien Bees Transmitter and receiver and it works beautifully in Manual mode. It does not work with ETTL however.
By having the transmitter and receiver it allows off camera flash which is really nice.
Get the CyberSync™ Receiver (battery)
Part Number: CSRB

and the
CyberSync™ Trigger Transmitter
Part Number: CST
Price: $59.95
Quantity:

This is a great one time investment and will open up a whole new world of flash photography with the OM-D.
Link:
Paul C. Buff - CyberSync™
Lenshead (J.Allen)