The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD + Panasonic 12-35 2.8, good combination ?

Peter Leyenaar

Hello,
I have an Panasonic 12-35 2.8 on order, getting it later this week, and contemplating purchasing the Olympic om d em5 (where do they get these names)based on reviews and and the beautiful images posted here.
Could someone who has this combination, comment on this team ?

Thanks

Peter

leuallen

I've been using the 12-35 on E-M5 heavily the last couple of weeks. I really like it. The fast aperture has allowed me to get shots that I would have missed otherwise. It is plenty sharp enough. Very well built (for the price, should be), and handles nicely on the camera.

Larry

jonoslack

Hi Peter
I'm with Larry on this one, it's a great combination - right up there with the 24-70's on Canon and Nikon bodies (except for the size and weight)- excellent.

all the best

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
And to make matters worse, I just handled the 35-100/2.8 and it is quite compact and much lighter than I expected. This looks to be a magnificent 2-lens kit for the OM-D.

--Matt

MGrayson

That's what I heard. I saw it at the PhotoPro Expo in NYC at the Lumix booth. It's still going on today, if anyone wants to go have a look. The new "tiny" Cambo was at the DT booth. Quite a nice tech cam.

Peter Leyenaar

O.K. I can now answer my original question, I bought the OMD, the Panasonic
12-35, 1:2.8, and for good measure the Olympus 75-300, I felt like a gambler at
a poker table , blowing all my cash , at least I won the equipment.
I compared the Panasonic 100-300 and the Olypus 75- 300 and I came down
on the side of the Olympus although a lot more money and I had to buy the hood.
In retrospect, I probably would have been just as happy with the Panasonic and saved a lot of money .
The 75-300 is an absolute pleasure to use and provides outstanding image quality,one small point , the lens self extends when pointed down.
The 12-35 1:2.8 on the OMD is a great combination, is a pleasure to use and again this combo provides outstanding image quality.
Now it is up to the operator to put this equipment to good use.
Peter

Knorp

O.K. I can now answer my original question, I bought the OMD, the Panasonic
12-35, 1:2.8, and for good measure the Olympus 75-300, I felt like a gambler at
a poker table , blowing all my cash , at least I won the equipment.
I compared the Panasonic 100-300 and the Olypus 75- 300 and I came down
on the side of the Olympus although a lot more money and I had to buy the hood.
In retrospect, I probably would have been just as happy with the Panasonic and saved a lot of money .
The 75-300 is an absolute pleasure to use and provides outstanding image quality,one small point , the lens self extends when pointed down.
The 12-35 1:2.8 on the OMD is a great combination, is a pleasure to use and again this combo provides outstanding image quality.
Now it is up to the operator to put this equipment to good use.
Peter
Hi Peter,

an excellent kit and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
I've got the P100-300 and not much I don't like about it, especially given its price ! But the Oly will deliver at least as good.

The P12-35 is a fine lens indeed and tell you what, I swapped the Oly 12/2.0 in its favour.
The Oly, though tiny and cuddly, just exhibited too much distortion to my taste.
It had to go and I praise myself for that decision since.

Happy shooting !

ustein

Contributing Editor
The 12-35mm is a nice zoom. But:

1. Too expensive for my taste
2. I prefer the range I get from the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 43 (not m43) zoom.

Knorp

The 12-35mm is a nice zoom. But:

1. Too expensive for my taste
2. I prefer the range I get from the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 43 (not m43) zoom.
Fair enough, Uwe.
But I think the P12-35 and the upcoming P35-100 will be a mighty combo :lecture:

All the best.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>But I think the P12-35 and the upcoming P35-100 will be a mighty combo

Sure, at a price. I may go with 14-54mm and 35-100 eventually. I shot in Europe exclusively with the 14-54mm and was very pleased. Downsides: slow AF and bigger. If Olympus would make this zoom for m43, please!!!

Peter Leyenaar

I am actually on the list for a P35-100 for when it becomes available, (more money on the poker table, this is becoming a bad habit, hopefully my last purchase for a long time and then there is that oly 75mm:).
I am extremely pleased with the omd , I am using both the hand grip attachements, feels very good in the hand , vert. and hor.
They say "it is the operator, not the equipment", I beg to differ.

MGrayson

I am still a huge fan of the 12-35/2.8. It is sharp and undistorted enough for landscapes at the wide end. I'm less sure about the 35-100/2.8. For portraits, the samples I've seen so far don't have enough DoF control, and I'll try living with the 75/1.8 instead (for half the price). I always carried around a 70-200/2.8 instead of the much lighter f/4 version just for that extra stop. So I'm looking at a three lens kit with the 45/1.8 along due to it's excellent quality, small size and zero weight.

--Matt

httivals

My three lens kit for travel will probably be: (1) the Oly 12mm (just purchase; on its way), (2) the new Oly 17mm f1.8 (when it's released) or the Pan Leica 25 mm (most likely the 17mm), and (3) the 35-100 zoom. I love the 75mm f1.8, but of travel I'd prefer a zoom. I also like the Panasonic fisheye a lot and once I get the Oly 12mm may sell the 7-14mm zoom and partially defish the fisheye (with the Hemi plug in) when I want wider than the Oly 12mm rather than carry the 7-14mm. . . . One of the great things about m43 is that there are now a lot of options for flexible kits with high quality primes, and you can also really keep the size and weight down while still having a flexible kit.

CPWarner

Sure, at a price. I may go with 14-54mm and 35-100 eventually. I shot in Europe exclusively with the 14-54mm and was very pleased. Downsides: slow AF and bigger. If Olympus would make this zoom for m43, please!!!
So yes the Panasonic are expensive, but I have paid much more money for fast high quality zooms from Canon and others in the past. Sure there are all the equivalence arguments, but to me this is not so bad. And it focuses fast, unlike converted 4/3 lenses, and goes to 12mm. So I am very happy with my 12-35mm and put in an order for a 35-100 immediately after the pre-order's went up. Looking forward to getting it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The 12-35mm and 35-100mm are a nice combo. For me a range 14-54mm covers more ground without switching lenses.

CPWarner

The 12-35mm and 35-100mm are a nice combo. For me a range 14-54mm covers more ground without switching lenses.
Well if I wanted greater range in a single lens, the Olympus 4/3 12-60mm would be the one. I find I use the 12-35mm a lot and it covers what I want most of the time.

ustein

Contributing Editor
> the Olympus 4/3 12-60mm

Yes, this would be some alternative. But:
1. Heavier
2. More Expensive
3. Seems to have some issues (forgot which)

anthonysemone

rented the 12-35 from Lens Rentals. Tried it for a week. For $1300, it wasn't worth it to me; I settled for the 12-50 kit lens and it didn't skip a beat as my only Oly lens during a 10 day trip to Paris. I would have liked a bit more range for those shots where I couldn't zoom by walking, but, hey, can't have everything. Used 12-60 go for about $600 to $700, require the $180 (new) MMF3 adapter, add a bit of length and weight, and, arguably, slower AF, assuming you're shooting Gran Prix events :D