The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH3 Field Test

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What a pity that the sensor size is still the same.
That's like saying "It's a pity that the Nikon D800 isn't medium format". Just like Nikon FX is designed with 35mm lenses in mind, the GH3 is designed for m4/3 and 4/3 lenses. Equipping the camera with a larger sensor would compromise the image quality using those lenses. If you want a camera with similar functionality and form factor but a larger sensor, there are always the Sony A77 and A99.

V

Vivek

That's like saying "It's a pity that the Nikon D800 isn't medium format".
Exactly the opposite! Compare the size of a D3 with the D800.

Another full frame cam, the D600, is even tinier and not much larger than the GH-3.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Another full frame cam, the D600, is even tinier and not much larger than the GH-3.
But the lenses, Vivek, the lenses. It's useless making a camera that can't use the lenses made for that system.

bensonga

D600 "even tinier and not much larger than a GH-3"?

Panasonic GH3: 3.2 x 5.2 x 3.7 inches ; 1.3 pounds

Nikon D600: 3.5 x 5 x 6 inches ; 2 pounds

Even before taking account of the larger lenses for the D600.....maybe I'm missing something.

Gary

V

Vivek

The video on the 'internet' highlights the size of the camera getting to be like a compact DSLR. Most compact DSLRs have larger sensors and size of the DSLRs are shrinking while with the Panasonic GH series, the trend is in the opposite direction.

Vitaliy Kiselev certainly has made Panasonic video capabilities much more attractive to videographers with his hacks and I can see the GH-3 doing well among those (videographers) where the overall gear gets bulky and heavy.

What GH-3 offers as a photography tool over the competition remains to be seen and the youtube video does little convince me of that. There has been mention (elsewhere) of the new AA filter being stronger (wrt to blurring) than the one found in the GH-2, for example.

While the video points out the unlimited video recording time, it does not mention the increased tariffs that come with it (no longer a still camera with a <30min video capability, rather, it is a full fledged video camera). This is exactly what Vitaliy's hack circumvented. Buy a regular GH-2 (with lower taxes/duty) and convert it to a more capable video machine. While the GH-2 is a still camera that can make videos, the GH-3 is a video camera that can also take still images.

BTW, does one need a new Panasonic battery to start up the GH-3? With the battery grip, it can get very expensive! :(

So, what is lacking makes the video not that useful, IMO.

Last edited:

ceklund

I think it looks very interesting. I will follow reviews and comments from early adopters with a view towards how this camera would work for me.

Tesselator

I thought is was a nice review. A little bit on the hype-ish side for me but I'm a techy kinda guy too so I usually don't appreciate hearing "really really great" quite so often - even if only carried in your voice and not said specifically.

I dunno if it's relevant to others or not but I noticed your head movements and your eye and body language was very akin to an used car or electronic shop sales rep. trying VERY hard to make a sale. I felt most of the video was more of a sales pitch rather than a review.

I appreciate having it available tho! And having made product feature description videos quite a lot myself I can really appreciate how hard it is to create these things!

Thanks for linking us up and keep up the good work!

biglouis

I liked the review, it was great to see the camera in use. How much did you pay the bird?

LouisB

V

Vivek

I dunno if it's relevant to others or not but I noticed your head movements and your eye and body language was very akin to an used car or electronic shop sales rep. trying VERY hard to make a sale. I felt most of the video was more of a sales pitch rather than a review.
Given that it comes from a camera store that has to sell stuff to stay afloat, why is this a surprise?

biglouis

True but then you have to compare the total weight/size with lenses. As the OP states later the 70-200 equiv lens for m43rds does not lead to herniated discs each time you pick it up.

That said, I do wish Panasonic had not increased the size - it is enough to put me off.

LouisB

biglouis

... also worth pointing out that the body only price has now dropped in the UK to what I consider to be a more realistic price.

Getting more tempted than I was.

LouisB