The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 to Leica

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Monza, Sorry, I thought they were your lenses. Thanks for bringing them to our attention. We have so much to explore and learn about the possibilities for the G1.

V

Vivek

Monza, Cindy: That is from Wolfgang Rabe. He offers the Leica LTM to Arriflex adapter (far more useful).

My Kinoptik 9.8mm lens has his adapter and so does another member's here who bought those after trying my lens on his M8.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
The G1 is now starting to look interesting to me if they would just lose the baby dSLR look. Maybe the Oly will be better in that regard. But being able to to use 16mm Cine lenses opens up some interesting things.

cjlacz

I'm trying to imagine the screams of outrage if the Oly doesn't have the manual focus assist. I'm planning on getting one after the 7-14mm comes out (depending on reviews) but for the first time I'm interested in some of the old lenses after following this thread.

V

Vivek

The G1 is now starting to look interesting to me if they would just lose the baby dSLR look. Maybe the Oly will be better in that regard. But being able to to use 16mm Cine lenses opens up some interesting things.
There are restrictions while considering 16mm lenses. Not all would cover the entire frame. I have a c-mount 4.9mm f/1.9 lens, for example. A tiny circle is projected.

But more importantly, there are 16mm lenses made for non-reflex cameras. These would hit the shutter in G1 (which is very close to the mount, BTW)!

Caution!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
We are going to have to be careful. My Leitz 21 f/3.4 super angulon will not work (I have read). What a pity. It is not fast, but has a wonderful signature on the M8. The flange on the SA is too deep.

Vivek, keep this information coming. I really appreciate your cutting-edge knowledge and the fact that you share it with us.

monza

Yes, a few lenses with extended rear elements (or collapsibles) will be problematic. An M body shutter chamber has quite a bit more room than the G1 and the M adapter probably is not deep enough to provide enough room.

johnastovall

Yes, a few lenses with extended rear elements (or collapsibles) will be problematic. An M body shutter chamber has quite a bit more room than the G1 and the M adapter probably is not deep enough to provide enough room.
Any problem with collaspibles can be fixed with dymo tape just like you do for the M5.

Terry

John,
Be careful for what you wish for. The G1 is quite small and I don't think a smaller or not dslr type body would be overly helpful on being able to get a grip, manually focus and to the things you need to do to. While comparing it to film sized cameras of the past may be interesting we do have a number of critical buttons/dials for digitall that aren't the same. The G1 is smaller in some respects than the M8.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
An absolutely remarkable camera! How Leica could pass on making a red dot version of it is beyond me...
Any reason why Leica wouldn't / couldn't make a genuine M mount camera with this very same EVF technology maybe in cooperation with Panasonic, and why not even with a larger sensor while we are at it ... ?

Any reason why Leica wouldn't / couldn't make a genuine M mount camera with this very same EVF technology maybe in cooperation with Panasonic, and why not even with a larger sensor while we are at it ... ?
Well, that would be even better, of course.

Only, it would involve a lot of design work, tooling & c, and that might be too much for Leitz after their S2 (and ongoing R10), esp. since the price point would be a lot lower.

Putting a red dot on a Panasonic with just some firmware tweaks would be far cheaper; I think Leitz has done so a few times before....:rolleyes:

johnastovall

John,
Be careful for what you wish for. The G1 is quite small and I don't think a smaller or not dslr type body would be overly helpful on being able to get a grip, manually focus and to the things you need to do to. While comparing it to film sized cameras of the past may be interesting we do have a number of critical buttons/dials for digitall that aren't the same. The G1 is smaller in some respects than the M8.
I dream of the Olympus Pen look. Lose the pop-up flash and for grip a easily griped finish, like vulcanite and maybe analog like controls a'la RD-1 with a pivotable LCD so it can be out of sight.

I had hoped Olympus would deliver something like that but from the mock up at Photokina, they aren't even on the paper.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Priced at 16,000 Euros?!:ROTFL:

V

Vivek

I dream of the Olympus Pen look. Lose the pop-up flash and for grip a easily griped finish, like vulcanite and maybe analog like controls a'la RD-1 with a pivotable LCD so it can be out of sight.

I had hoped Olympus would deliver something like that but from the mock up at Photokina, they aren't even on the paper.

John, Don't rule out Olympus. Even without a camera, they are already there. Yes, I am also looking forward to the Olympus offerings.:)

jonoslack

Hi Steen
I think there are lots of reasons.
However - I would have thought they could easily have Panasonic make a micro 4:3 camera like this - only looking more like a CL, with an optical 'rangefinder' having zooming frame lines and focus confirmation in an LCD overlay . . . as it isn't really a rangefinder, you could have a asecond hole for the EVF.

I hear what you say about the larger sensor . . . but if they did that you wouldn't be able to:
1. use small cheap autofocus IS zoom lenses made by Olympus / Panasonic
2. have video
3. Use the electronic stuff that Panasonic and Olympus have already developed.

Still, it's all theoretical - as I understand it Leica have already said they'll have nothing to do with m4:3 . . . which is sad, as it's the first Panasonic development which they could really make use of to create the missing CL.

lmr

Maybe I missed it, but anyone tried R lens on the G1? Any samples?

I am selling my L1 @ my local dealer. I will be getting a G1 after the L1 is sold. I really want to use my R lens with adaptors on the G1. I have the R to 4/3 adaptor and I guess I may need to get the 4/3 to M4/3 adaptor. & if they have the R to M4/3 that would be great... then I can sell my R to 4/3 adaptor too :)

Thx
Robert.