The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 to Leica

monza

OK, let me reword. :)

I understand that the LCD zooms in, when using the Panasonic kit lens in manual focus mode, and this zooming is automatic.

When you have a Canon 50/0.95 on the camera, and turn the focus on the lens, the camera doesn't know you are focusing, so it can't zoom the LCD image automatically. So, how do you zoom in manually?

I have seen the photos, and having used fast lenses on M Leicas including the M8, where focus accuracy is spotty, I'm pretty amazed...thanks for posting those images.

V

Vivek

OK, there is a little button on the back (don't know what it is called). You press that and a small yellow rectangle shows in the frame. You press another button and that rectangle is magnified (~100% crop? something like that) you can move that little yellow rectangle all over the frame to choose the area of your interest/focus. In addition to this after enlarging the little yellow rectangle, if you use the thumbwheel in the camera in one direction, it magnifies it further (~200% crop?).

Since you can choose an area in the frame and all these things, you do not have to focus and reframe. You do not need to move the camera and lose any focus (as in a rangefinder and a fast lens).

So, focus accuracy is better than it has ever been with any system.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I don't like that auto zoom feature when the lens is turned, so I turned it off. When I am ready for critical focus, I press the left arrow on the multi-selector. A yellow rectangle appears and can be moved with the arrow buttons. When it is precisely positioned, I press the menu/set button in the middle of the multi-selector and the G1 zooms in. Fine focus can now be achieved. As Vivek said above, you can use the thumbwheel while zoomed in for even greater magnification. A half-press of the shutter zooms it back out for final confirmation and then a full press finishes the shot. The M, R, etc. lenses should work the same way.

V

Vivek

Thanks Cindy for the technical terms of the buttons and the further explanation.

Since these little buttons are clustered together, unless you have eyes that will pop out like some alien creature, you can not use the eye level view finder (is that what that is called?) and use the buttons effectively.

This is why the waist level focusing and the swivel TFT (or LCD as Panasonic says) screen are very important and useful.

monza

OK thanks Cindy and Vivek. :)

Oddly enough, my G1 showed up courtesy of the UPS truck, so now I can try all this out.

(BTW, Cindy I bought a Dimage scanner from you a while back off RFF...still working great.)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks Cindy for the technical terms of the buttons and the further explanation.

Since these little buttons are clustered together, unless you have eyes that will pop out like some alien creature, you can not use the eye level view finder (is that what that is called?) and use the buttons effectively.

This is why the waist level focusing and the swivel TFT (or LCD as Panasonic says) screen are very important and useful.

Vivek, That is exactly right. For the most critical focus, you must use the LCD, not the viewfinder if you are going to use the method I use.
I use the viewfinder a lot of time and can achieve good focus, but for the most precision, then it is the LCD.
The only problem that I have using the LCD, is that I can't brace the camera (to myself) like I do when I use the viewfinder. Do you have any hints to supporting the shot?...or are you just super steady? Your shots with the M lenses have sure been stellar.:thumbup:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
OK thanks Cindy and Vivek. :)

Oddly enough, my G1 showed up courtesy of the UPS truck, so now I can try all this out.

(BTW, Cindy I bought a Dimage scanner from you a while back off RFF...still working great.)
Monza, Congratulations on the new G1. Now you can join in on the picture thread! :salute: (And yes, I remember you from RFF and the Dimage.)

The shots through a Canon 50/0.95, wide open, should tell you something about focus accuracy, ease of focusing and the like. Equally illustrative would be the wide open shot of a fast moving person in a mini blizzard through a 135mm Hektor (the longest focal length lens from an M system).
Indeed, Vivek, they are impressive. I have the camera, with just the kit lens, and had planned to get the 20/1.7 pancake as soon as it comes.

Also, I´m on Stephen Gandy´s waiting list for the M adapter. I had planned to use the adapter mainly with my 50 and 90, for portraits & c, but the ease of manual focussing makes me wonder if I´ll really need that pancake after all, or if I should start looking for old gems like you have (at present I own nothing shorter than a Summicron 35, not short enough).

An absolutely remarkable camera! How Leica could pass on making a red dot version of it is beyond me...

jonoslack

An absolutely remarkable camera! How Leica could pass on making a red dot version of it is beyond me...
Hi Per
It's completely bizarre isn't it . . . the first Panasonic camera which comes along which REALLY suits what they do . . . . . and they turn it down
:eek::cussing:

Maybe something will appear later . . .

Brian Mosley

Vivek, That is exactly right. For the most critical focus, you must use the LCD, not the viewfinder if you are going to use the method I use.
I use the viewfinder a lot of time and can achieve good focus, but for the most precision, then it is the LCD.
The only problem that I have using the LCD, is that I can't brace the camera (to myself) like I do when I use the viewfinder. Do you have any hints to supporting the shot?...or are you just super steady? Your shots with the M lenses have sure been stellar.:thumbup:
Hi Cindy, I don't understand? what's the problem using the viewfinder for manual focusing? it's fiddly, but you can certainly locate the left arrow / OK buttons with the thumb of your right hand...

I prefer to shoot this way, it's more steady having the camera to your eye and there's no problem with glare.

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

Cindy, My hand, it appears, is ergonomically suited to handle this cam with the LCD screen. The body rests in the mid palm and the wrist. The LCD screen going over the wrist (almost like cradling a new born baby while bathing it) while the thumb and two fingers(index, middle) used for focusing the lens. The right hand holds the grip, fingers used for the buttons (multiselector, shutter release).

Yup, I do not use the eye level finder at all.

V

Vivek

Per, The 135mm focal length ( I have an Elmar and a Hektor, both can be found for very cheap prices) is very useful on this camera (when there is light!).

The 135/4.5 is a pain to use on a Leica camera. You need a separate view finder to frame and use the RF focus (hence the tripod mount).

That is a worthwhile lens to get (especially if it is a bargain).

Yes, I am looking forward to the 20/1.7 as well. I am also hoping that Olympus will weave their magic.:)

I also have ~10 lenses :)eek:) from another system that I am currently trying to adapt (ie making an adapter).

Remarkable camera it is! I have to locate my thesaurus to find a list of adequate superlative words.:)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Cindy, I don't understand? what's the problem using the viewfinder for manual focusing? it's fiddly, but you can certainly locate the left arrow / OK buttons with the thumb of your right hand...

I prefer to shoot this way, it's more steady having the camera to your eye and there's no problem with glare.

Kind Regards

Brian
I do use the viewfinder for regular manual focusing. I'm used to manual focusing for many years and don't use AF that often even on my E3. It is just that for very critical focusing (like macro), it works better for me to use the lcd to really get fine adjustment.
Now, Stephen Gandy, please bring on that M converter--soon!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, My hand, it appears, is ergonomically suited to handle this cam with the LCD screen. The body rests in the mid palm and the wrist. The LCD screen going over the wrist (almost like cradling a new born baby while bathing it) while the thumb and two fingers(index, middle) used for focusing the lens. The right hand holds the grip, fingers used for the buttons (multiselector, shutter release).

Yup, I do not use the eye level finder at all.
Vivek, Thanks for explaining your technique. It is fantastic. I am able to steady it much more with my hands braced at my waist. It also makes it easier to work the buttons with the right hand. (One caveat to anyone trying this, turn off LVF/LCD auto, or it blacks out the LCD when it gets close to your body.)

Hi Per
It's completely bizarre isn't it . . . the first Panasonic camera which comes along which REALLY suits what they do . . . . . and they turn it down
:eek::cussing:

Maybe something will appear later . . .
Yes, I hope so.... (My credit card will be less happy:rolleyes:). The G1 has "dual personalities", with stupid scene modes and iA mixed up with an extremely versatile and competent system camera (as yet without a system...). A m4/3 Leica might be less schizophrenic, with a cleaner user interface.

Per, The 135mm focal length ( I have an Elmar and a Hektor, both can be found for very cheap prices) is very useful on this camera (when there is light!).
Sigh.... I sold one (with short & long mounts, a Visoflex I, and a bellows), for a pittance last year, since I saw no chance of ever using it again...:(

Also the incredible Apo Macro Elmarit R 2.8/100, complete with the special Elpro; not for a pittance, but nevertheless....:cry:

Never, ever sell Leica gear!!!! :lecture:

scho

Yes, I hope so.... (My credit card will be less happy:rolleyes:). The G1 has "dual personalities", with stupid scene modes and iA mixed up with an extremely versatile and competent system camera (as yet without a system...). A m4/3 Leica might be less schizophrenic, with a cleaner user interface.

Sigh.... I sold one (with short & long mounts, a Visoflex I, and a bellows), for a pittance last year, since I saw no chance of ever using it again...:(

Also the incredible Apo Macro Elmarit R 2.8/100, complete with the special Elpro; not for a pittance, but nevertheless....:cry:

Per, Right on with the "dual personality" of the G1. Good example is the useless Film Mode button. However, I am very thankful for the many other innovative features that this camera offers. I guess Leica put all of their chips on the high end of the market with the S2. If the G1 and future m4/3 models targeted more towards advanced amateurs take off then Leica may have cause to worry about M8x sales taking a hit. Think we will see some nice little Zeiss or CV m4/3 format lenses?

Regards,
Carl

V

Vivek

I don't have any problems with the G1's personality. And a firm no thanks to any Leica m4/3. I love the plastic (G1). The cheaper the better. :D :thumbs:

Frankly, I do not think Leica have a fleeting chance to compete. The M4/3 is light years (as implemented in the very first camera, even) ahead of their camera making technology. Perhaps they can come up with some M4/3rd D lenses. Useful for everyone.

You can find them again for a pittance now. :)

That Elpro is something special. I understand what you think.

Frankly, I do not think Leica have a fleeting chance to compete. The M4/3 is light years (as implemented in the very first camera, even) ahead of their camera making technology.
Well, I don´t think of Leica as necessarily being at the cutting edge of technology to prove their unique value. Why is the first choice of accessory for our new G1:s the M adapter? One of the first lenses *I* will mount on it when I get it is an uncoated, 1936 vintage Summar 50/2, to try some dreamy portraits. And you´re using an old Hektor 135....

That said, I do see the point in good but inexpensive plastic cameras instead of heirlooms as working tools.

You can find them again for a pittance now. :)
Yes, there´s that. Would have been fun, however, to mount that Visoflex 1 on the G1. Would confuse everybody mightily (myself included...). Just kiddin´...:ROTFL:

That Elpro is something special. I understand what you think.
Not only the Elpro. The lens itself was/is absolutely incredible. While it probably wouldn´t have balanced well on the tiny G1 (it was biggish even on my R6; better on a SL), macro shots with it would have been marvellous...

V

Vivek

Well, I don´t think of Leica as necessarily being at the cutting edge of technology to prove their unique value. Why is the first choice of accessory for our new G1:s the M adapter? One of the first lenses *I* will mount on it when I get it is an uncoated, 1936 vintage Summar 50/2, to try some dreamy portraits. And you´re using an old Hektor 135....
In fact, my first adapter was not an M adapter!

Anyway, yes, that is the problem for Leica. There are way too many old lenses still kicking around and functioning well!

Sigma, for example, does not have that problem at all!;):ROTFL:

It is a different case when it comes to cameras in the digital era.

I just found few old Leitz accessories I had. I was surprised to discover that an unknown Xenon 50/2 (I always thought it was not a very useful lens!) fits nicely in an OUAGO (straight fit!). What a stunner this one is!
(I will take this out for a spin tomorrow).

It is this sort discoveries that is possible with this 20mm camera registry with live view and makes it very exciting!

jonoslack

Hi Vivek
of course, being a computer programmer I DO have eyes like some alien creature which will pop out, and so I find it quite easy to press the buttons with my eye to the viewfinder.

I got my adaptor today, and have been fiddling about with the 50mm macro (manual focus) and the 9-18 - which focuses very well automatically.