The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3 to Leica

V

Vivek

I have.

I have a self modified 50/2 Summicron-R in Nikon F mount. I can mount this on the G1 via- a Novoflex LEINIK, M to LTM, M4/3rd to Leica M adapter.

This thing heavy. Not particularly a desirable thing to use (for me that is).

lmr

Thx Vivek.. I can imagine the weight. It would be wild to mount the R80 lux or R280/4 or R400/6.8 on the small G1 to see what we can get. Most likely some amazing shots.

rweissman

Zeiss Hologon 16mm/f8 and M mount/G1?

Does anyone know if the Zeiss Hologon 16mm f8 (fitted with standard m mount) will work with the Leica M mount adapter and G1? Apparently it protrudes more deeply than most lenses into the camera body.

Seascape

Vivek, maybe you have answered this already, but is there a C-mount to G1 adapter available, or are you just saying a C-mount lens would be easy to mount to a G1 ?

If there is an adapter for C-mount lenses, could you point me to it.....thanks.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Re: Zeiss Hologon 16mm/f8 and M mount/G1?

Does anyone know if the Zeiss Hologon 16mm f8 (fitted with standard m mount) will work with the Leica M mount adapter and G1? Apparently it protrudes more deeply than most lenses into the camera body.
I've got one of these guys. The lens projects 22mm from the m mount flange into the body. If it works with the G1 that by itself is reason for me to buy the camera (I've got an adapter on order from Steve Gandy). Someone who has the G1 and adapter can measure it to see if it works. If it does the rear element of the lens will be very close to the sensor causing color shift at the edges (on the M8 it's blue on one side and green on the other).

A truly sensational lens on the M8. This is gratuitous but here are samples from Tulum and Guadalajara:

View attachment 9913

View attachment 9914

Re: Zeiss Hologon 16mm/f8 and M mount/G1?

...If it does the rear element of the lens will be very close to the sensor....
Careful, Woody!!!

There´s a shutter in there as well, and it is normally open, so you can´t see it.

It is MUCH closer to the mount than is the sensor itself - and anything obstructing it will make a paperweight of that camera at first release...

My guess is, that lens is out....

V

Vivek

Vivek, maybe you have answered this already, but is there a C-mount to G1 adapter available, or are you just saying a C-mount lens would be easy to mount to a G1 ?

If there is an adapter for C-mount lenses, could you point me to it.....thanks.

Seascape, Wolfgang Rabe (there is flickr link posted by Monza in this thread) would be making some M4/3rds to C-mount adapters soon and they will be available from him. He is also found on eBay.de. He knows more about c-mount lenses than I.

As I mentioned, I did try a 4.9mm lens and it does not cover the whole sensor.

I also (have) and tried a 200mm f/6.3 lens in C-mount. Same story.

As I said earlier, and Per says it here, the shutter is close to the mount. So any lens that would protrude into the M4/3rds body (perhaps there is a 2-3mm allowance) is generally out of consideration.

Those who have the G1, can check where the shutter is by firing the camera at bulb setting without a lens. This would convince you. :)

V

Vivek

If it does the rear element of the lens will be very close to the sensor causing color shift at the edges (on the M8 it's blue on one side and green on the other).
Woody, I am afraid that you have to stick with the M8 for those psychedelic special effects.

The G1, for starters, has no UV or IR sensitivity (a shame, really. I could have used that for UV and IR captures) like the Epson R-D1/s or the M8/8.2.

Seascape

Thanks Vivek, I was thinking about some of the adapters from 35mm lenses to C-mount, and the use of that combination on a G1.

Maybe going directly from a 35mm lens (Nikon, Olympus, etc) with just one adapter makes more sense.

V

Vivek

Here are some accessories (dating back to the 1950s!) that I find useful.

#4 is the most useful of all. The OUFRO (16469). This a thin M extension ring. Most RF lenses do not close focus (not meant to). So, this becomes a very important accessory with the M4/3rds adapter.

#3 OUAGO. Useful focusing adapter with an M mount (see below for an example).

#2 OTZFO. Similar to the OUAGO. I might add a 39mm ring to the front.

#1 COOED. This was the OUAGO equivalent in LTM from 1939 (I have it now with an M adapter). The front end has 40mm threads. Very useful to add adapters from Leitz Aristophot and use Summars, Milars and Photars for macro work.

V

Vivek

Xenon from the "junk" pile. A superlative lens. It focuses from infinity to about 20cm.

V

Vivek

That is a shot of the OUFRO and my M 4/3rds to M adapter. The resemblance is not coincidental as the front part of my M 4/3rd adapter comes from an OUFRO.

V

Vivek

There is a pile of Leitz "stuff" that I have not had a chance to explore yet. So, I will just stop with these.

In general, many of the focus accessories made for use with a reflex housing are useful.

V

Vivek

Monza, Not sure if the KEH listing is still available or you are looking at a picture of it on the left in the above photo!:)

jonoslack

HI Vivek
Thanks for that.
I just bought an OUFRO on ebay - hopefully it'll arrive from the states at around the same time as my m/m4:3 adaptor. so my 50mm 'cron will become a 100mm f2 macro on the G1?!
Or am I missing something?

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

My pleasure. This is posted here exclusively for our group so we get a head start.:)

With the extension ring, how any lens will behave would depend on the lens' construction and the focus throw of the lens focus mechanism. The free working distance would generally go down as you go from a longer focal length lens (say a 135mm Elmar or Telyt) to short (35mm Summicron).

Yes, in general, you can make use of all your M mount lenses for close-ups/macros using this adapter.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

My pleasure. This is posted here exclusively for our group so we get a head start.:)

With the extension ring, how any lens will behave would depend on the lens' construction and the focus throw of the lens focus mechanism. The free working distance would generally go down as you go from a longer focal length lens (say a 135mm Elmar or Telyt) to short (35mm Summicron).

Yes, in general, you can make use of all your M mount lenses for close-ups/macros using this adapter.
Good to get in early - this one was a bit expensive ($65 including shipping to the UK) but it really did look in mint condition. I guess they will suddenly be in demand!

So, what kind of working distance would you expect with, say a 75mm 'cron?

V

Vivek

Jono, The OUFRO I used for my adapter cost exactly that ($65/-). It still is very inexpensive. You will recognize that when you hold the OUFRO in your hand and compare it with any other modern adapter.

On the 75 'cron. No definite figures. I would just say, that it would be "comfortable". :)